View Single Post
Old 20-03-2017, 01:28 PM
Regular User

Since i can see there are quite a few of us with my model STIs, i have a question about the gearbox.
Mine grinds a bit when changing from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd when cold. It takes half an hour to get gear shifts somewhat smooth, but occasionally even when after long running it grinds. It's nothing major like when you miss the gearshift, but you can feel it.
I know that STI has short shifter and gear changes are very very notchy. That's fine, but once in a while i get that gear grind. When i start the car in the mornings and start moving going into second it's 100% grind. Later on on my journey it's random. As my drive consist busy city commute it consists a lot of gear changes.
All wise internet is saying it's pretty normal for MY2014 onwards STIs, but i thought i will still ask here.
Some mention alternator. Who knows maybe that's at fault. I'm not mechanical guy, so that's all I've got.
Also once warmed up i most of the time out the car into S# mode and shifter suddenly transforms. Easy gear changes and only occasional grind.

Also would it be prudent of me to ask dealer to drain transmission fluid and swap it with new one, same as i done with engine oil after engine was broken in after 1000 miles?

Last edited by muziqaz; 20-03-2017 at 03:42 PM.