View Single Post
Old 20-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Rest in peace Jodie.

Question 1994 wrx auto. Gearbox or diff?

Your advice needed.

Bought a donor 1994 wrx, automatic - did a test drive and mechanically all was well, although I had the window rolled down at that time, what a ******* twat... lol

As I was going to be going on the motorway having slung £50 of V-power in it, I rolled the window up.

Then I could hear a faint whine, it was constant on the way back from Milton Keynes, wasn't sure if it was the gearbox or maybe / hopefully just a diff...

Carried on driving, then when we got passed Heathrow it started reving high when i put my foot down - like 5k rpm but it wasn't actually getting any faster. Almost like it didnt see any reason to change up.

Tried moving it from D to 3, 2 etc and it let me select that without any fighting, but it didn't make it work properly again.

It got progressively worse and 40mph seemed bearable but decided to pull up on the hard shoulder, by this time I'd reached j10 so limped onto the A3, pulled up on the had shoulder again and my mate tried to look at it for me.

He said he could smell a transmission fluid / gearbox oil type of smell. Placed a call to Moley who informed me the gearbox dipstick was near the TMIC. It got checked and it seemed ok according to my mate.

Guess I need someone who knows their scoobies to take a proper look. Don't have a handbook for a 1994 wrx, automatic so unsure of the correct procedure for checking the levels properly.

Whilst I'd prefer it not to be a knackered gearbox and say be a diff I think it's probably the former?