Thread: The Bug...
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 08:36 PM

Default The Bug...

Well, now I have finally got all of the parts on the car, I figured it was about time to start sharing some pics e.t.c.

So this was my 2002 STi Type UK Prodrive Edition Bug the day I bought it...

The previous owner had done 9k in 4 years, but didn't really wash or clean it.

First job was to give it a good scrub!

Now I am slightly OCD when it comes to maintaining my cars, so it got booked in for Cam / Timing Belt change, with tensioners, new water pump and all the necessaries e.t.c.

At this point I would like to say all bar one part for the car has been bought from Alyn @ AS Performance - huge help, always great prices, and very very friendly.

Heres all the old parts:

Next as it was mechanically sound, I decided it was time to get serious with the cleaning and sorting the bodywork.

There were a few scuffs on the bumpers, boot, door e.t.c and the paint was very flat...

So a trip to my local bodyshop (Thanks Drew and Aaron @ D&A Customs): and it came out looking like this:

Then after a few days - I decided to get the machine polisher out, and start bringing that O2C Rally Blue to life...

Next on the list were front and rear strut braces:

Next came my first SES meet - the SRR Day in July 2014 - I had no expectations of what the car would produce, and although I knew there was a back box on it, wasn't aware of any other mods.

I was more than pleasantly surprised when the car kicked out the following:

Then I started trying to make some sensible mods that were semi future proof for when I decided to up the power:

Booked back in with my mechanic friend Jules and in went the Pink Box Clutch and lighter flywheel. At the same time, I had a full service, with PFR7B plugs going in, coolant, Millers CFS Nanotech 10w50 oil and filter, and new Do-Luck air filter and fuel filter.

Inbetween - even though it was kept in the garage, I always keep it covered up to keep the dust off - yes im sad

The next area of attention was the suspension. The car was 12yrs old, and feeling quite "Loose" when driving along. A quick chat with Alyn and £££ later, and I had Eibach ARB's front and rear, Whiteline drop links, whiteline Anti lift kit, Whiteline steering rack bushes, whiteline gear mount bushes, whiteline ARB mounts, and generally every bush under the car replaced. Also at this time came the 4x new Wheel bearings, HEL brake Lines, Brake Fluid drain and replace.

Then came XMas - and after boring my parents and GF with car parts being the only thing on my list, I was lucky enough to get Silicone hoses, 290ltr Scoobyworx Fuel pump, Brake Discs, PFC Brake Pads, Turbosmart 3 port Boost Solenoid.

Then in Feb I had to have more surgery - and so post operative recoup was in order - which consisted of a new Cobra 3" system with Sports CAT, HS Trick Up pipe, Ported headers - again all supplied by Alyn.

What followed was a new HKS SSQV - im sad, I like the noise!

And some Morrettes, which were sprayed up by D&A Customs..

Then last Sat, and this Sat were spent back down with my mechanic Jules, fitting all of the parts, which had been updated to include new Phenolic gaskets, inlet gaskets, exhaust gaskets, rocker cover gasket kits, another oil and filter change, another coolant change.

And that's pretty much where I am as of tonight...

Morrettes haven't been fitted yet, but will be in a few weeks.

The car is booked in for an opensource remap with Duncan (Racedynamix) at SRR on Fri 22nd May.

In the future - its booked in for a near on full respray (apart from boot and rear doors) on 26th oct, and I plan on having the wheels refurbed.

Cheers for looking!

Ryan

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk

Last edited by Rdlangy1; 02-05-2015 at 08:39 PM.