View Single Post
Old 26-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Sorry guy's didn't look in the loo's.
But they are in the main reception area for the public to use, so they may be a tad cleaner then Charlies

In all seriousness, spent an hour or so with Chris of Chris Langley's with the car on the rollers. A very nice guy who is clearly keen to get the best out of his new rolling road aquisition.

The rollers are similar to that used in the past by Power Engineering and use the coast down to caluclate the transmission loss. I beleive they are MAHA. OK this is older technology to the more recent rollers like Dyno Dynamics or more modern MAHA, but they are well proven.
Having used Power Engineering many times with my old Ford's I'm happy to use them again, especially as they are only 1.5 miles away.

Chris bought this equipment 2nd hand and has spent several months setting it all up. It has primarily been bought for his race car preparation, which is a RallyCross Cossie running Pectel Management and some kind of Westfield/Caterham thing.
He is willing to open it up for RR shoot out days, one-off rolling road dyno runs (book through the office), or offers to operate the rollers if the customer wants to map his own car.

He doesn't appear to have the wealth of experience with mapping modern engine management systems on multiple vehicle platforms, that some venue's have, but having only just set-up the rollers for the reasons above I wouldn't expect him too.

Bottom line is that the rollers appear to work, he's a nice chap trying hard to grow his business, so I for one will support him and use him where possible.

A number of rolling roads (SRR excluded) make the customer uncomfortable and don't listen to what the customer has to say, obviously because they know best....believe me I know as have visited a few over the years. Chris does not do this, he listened to what I had to say and even took some of my suggestions on board.

OK results.......
Car :
STi Hawkeye 2007 PPP
Modifications :
K&N Panel Filter
2.75" CatBack System
2.5" TSL Rear Box
Un-modified Prodrive PPP ECU

338BHP / 326lbft
Several runs where done making slight variations to the applied load of the rollers which made slight variations in result. We settled on the above after lowering the load didn't seem to drop the power figure much further.

I'm prepared to accept that is may be a little high by about 5%. But then again I have heard that the STi Hawkeye OE figures can be a little conservative (316BHP for PPP, without filter or exhaust mods). Either way it's a benchmark for me to improve upon.

To help confirm that the car was being loaded up correctly I logged all the runs on the laptop and Target Boost, AFR, WGDC, Engine Load and Ignition timing all hitting pretty much spot on in accordance with it's respective map settings (Key ones being Target Boost and Engine Load).

I then performed the same out on the real road and the logs where very similar to that captured on the RR. So happy it is all setup correct.

I will put up a graph on 'MY Urban Grey STi' thread once scanned.