Thread: Baffled Sump
View Single Post
Old 13-05-2020, 09:44 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asperformance View Post
for the 2003MY the JDM STi cars installed a twin scroll turbo system and because of the shape of the exhaust manifold they redesigned the sump from the very square shape used on everything else to a much shallower shape at the top with one long "leg" - this style was then slightly rationalised for the 2006MY and used on all EJ Turbo cars including the 2.5 STi's.........

as a std sump this is better than the original BUT its wrong to say that a proper baffled sump won't add anything as it further improves the factory set-up

whether you justify the set-up would depend on your exact use, power targets and budget
Not sure if I completely follow...but get the jist they changed it on 2006 models! Does this apply for WRX as well as STi's from 2006?

Interesting that you say it's not as good as proper baffled sump, this is probably my main concern.

At least personally I'm running stock power on WRX, going on trackdays and making other mods to improve the car specifically for the track (coilovers, Tein EDFC, strut brace etc). Currently don't have a plan to up power, but after sorting a big brake kit (next on the bucket list) I think upgrading to sports-cat and mapping the engine would be a reasonable idea. Not sure if there are steps in between worth thinking about?!

If anyone else has opinions on that I'm all ears!

...As I barely need the car for daily use (as i'm mostly cycling) it's more of a toy...but it is still my daily if I need a car...so trying to make 'safe' modifications to allow track time without worrying the next trip is likely to break it! 😂

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk