View Single Post
Old 25-09-2016, 07:10 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Default SEAT Cupra K1 - My Daily

After lots of pissing about in Audi's (there's no easy way to say it) and after a change of employment circumstances within the Scott.T household I decide to free up some cash, to ease the financial pressures, and decided to jump back into a SEAT.

When I last had a SEAT Leon I had asked my local dealer to source me a Cupra R or Cupra K1 but after several months waiting I ended up popping into Audi, and this was the start of a rather turbulent Audi relationship.

So things have gone full circle and after what amounted to quite a short period of hunting I sourced a SEAT UK + 1 Owner car up in Hertfordshire.

It's been very well looked after by a mature driver, with full dealer history and in great condition. TBH I would of struggled to keep it in this condition over 7 years ownership myself.

So how does it drive......very nice indeed and probably the family car I have been searching for. Nice and comfortable when a more sedate mood or road condition dictates, but able to turn on the speed when conditions allow.

It revs out really well (unlike the A5 which gave up after 5K) and gets to the 7K region with ease (not hit the limiter yet). The handling is also very impressive for a car capable of the jekyl'n'hyde' driving style.

I know it's not 4WD, but it reminds me very much of the ride and composure of the Focus RS I drove recently. Suspension/Handling has certainly come along way since the design of the Classic Impreza.

What impressed the most is the gearbox and torque spread. On a brisk country lane drive 4th & 5th are great gears. I drove an entire stretch in 4th which include long straights, twists, turns and slowing for a level crossing. The whole stretch used 1500rpm - 7000rpm. I only dropped down from 4th in the final 100 yards for a 90 degree right over a narrow bridge. I also keep staring at the gear lever thinking 'is this 4th or 6th ?'...it ends up being 6th.

Since getting it home I have been out in it with the family 3 times and for each I have found the 'interesting' route. There's a lot to be said about the fun a small hatch can give....and all with just 240BHP......for now