View Single Post
Old 14-12-2020, 01:11 PM
Regular User

Default Quick Fix.....Maidstone/Kent

Good afternoon all,

It has been a while since I posted on here.

Long story short, my spares/repairs donor car needs an MoT ASAP so I can enjoy the snow that is due to arrive in the next week or so.

I bought it earlier this year for parts to fix my original WRX that had a fight with a roundabout/lamppost and lost! However, since then, I've decided that I am not happy trying to fix the original for road use (may keep it for track, or just give it to someone (minus engine & g/box) as a project). It had an MoT when I drove it 4 hours home, and I did so VERY slowly with earplugs in. It has a 'pop-pop-bang' map on it, which I want off and think that's a SlowBoy Racing job. There does appear to be something wrong with the engine, not sure if it related to the map, but it smells like it's overfueling, and will 'smoke' when idle. Checking the water for signs of head gasket issue, the water is dirty but doesn't seem oily, but does lose volume overtime. Apparently has STI injectors and Greddy clutch, but definitely has a straight-through exhaust (hence the earplugs). So, I want to try and get this one legal, but there are a few sticky points as mentioned above. As a side note, I'm curious how drivers with a LOUD exhaust get an MoT, without swapping them over etc. I've been advised of a 'friendly' MoT test station, but I want to make sure everything else is OK before I present it. There were some silly things on the fail, such as bulbs, but the more important ones are;

1 - Front brakes imbalanced
2 - Catalytic Converter missing
3 - Engine MIL indicates a malfunction
4 - Exhaust noise in excess

I've emailed http://www.bentensautocare.co.uk/ but not had a response yet, so I was looking for some advice/recommendations on how I can get this legal enough to drive and enjoy.

Long term plans are for an overhaul, but time/space/finance are an issue, especially with the prospect of COVID and lockdowns closing my brewery business.

Thanks in advance