View Single Post
Old 25-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Bronze Member

June 2010 - Noticed the engine temps and fans getting a little hot and fans kicking in a little bit more often. Also with the power being a little bit more and using meth on the car recently thought I'd change the oil.

So purchased the following.
Zero Sport Thermostat (From Mark at Lateral Performance)
Silkolene Pro S 10w / 50 oil (From Opie Oils)
Subaru Oil Filter

Due to work couldn't find time to do it so called Stew at TFS Racing and he said pop it over. Top man and great service at short notice.
With this done noticed the engine running a little bit cooler and fans not kicking so much.

Also noticed on the Simtek the cold start idle was being a nightmare and had problems at 1,700 / 1,900 & 2,900 rpm's with the car stuttering. So called the old bean Simon (JGM) to smooth it out for me. TO which he has. Top man.

Late last year some tit at work broke my drivers wing mirror. No one admitted to it but hey. So after getting a pair of Blobeye wing mirrors off of WRXMike and my old bean Norm (SurreyScoobies) to get them painted at work I (well Mike really I jsut watched whilst I sang songs to him) fitted a set of Blobeye wing mirrors.
I wasn't too aware that the glass is a few mm bigger on the Blobeye but so glad I have put them on as I can see more out of them. Weird.

Have just purchased the following to fit on the car for July.
Oil Temp gauge
Booked car in for a full paint correction with Hampshire Vehicle Detailing (formally Race Valeting).
Single Din pocket.

Hope to keep an eye on temps as I am playing the guessing game at present with warm up etc. Not a good idea in this weather but want to be sure.

Paint work and panels have been punished with the work on the car over the course of the winter and early this year. My fault for not washing the car since Novemeber too so hope Paul at Hampshire Vehicle Detailing can make them look a little better.

Hope to fit a new set of speakers and head unit. ICE isn't my thing but feel it's time to change the head unit (who since 1999 would put a tape deck on a car still? lol). Also need to add my Parrot car kit that has been sat in my garage for 2 years. D'oh.

Need to also sort out my exhaust system. Noticed my exhaust was blowing (not easy when you have the RCM Team Ice full system). Resolved it and was fine for a few days until I was out enjoying a Sunday drive and switched the Anti Lag on. Got home and noticed it was blowing again. D'oh!!!

Maybe it's time for a change in exhaust and have something slip jointed and Track Day friendly?

July 2010 - Mike Fitted my oil temp gauge as I was enjoying him burning his arm on the manifold. One thing that I noticed which was odd. When I didn't have the oil temp gauge fitted I was playing the guessing game of when the oil was up to full temps and when I could drive the car on boost etc.

I was suprised to see that the oil temp didn't come up to approx 70 around 1.5miles later into my trip from when I was guessing. Geeky maybe but just thought I'd add that.

Been to a few meets of late and seeing all the different styles people have I now think I want another set of alloys. Been looking at Maggys (MSOC) new wheels on his car and really like them and in that colour. So now need to work out what I want to spend and what alloys to get.

Looking into getting a new head unit,speakers and get my Parrot car kit added. Not really a fan of massive ICE so just something more updated and speakers that can take the odd bit abuse.

The car was also given a nice clean and light polish by Hampshire Valeting. Much needed and even though the weather has changed slightly with a bit of rain on it's first clean since getting it back has made the paintwork easier to clean.

Noticed the MPG on the Tesco fuel is alot worse than using the V-Power and V-Power and Meth mix. Made the car idle funny on Tesco too? Maybe they have changed something in the addatives

MOT completed and PASSED. Goes to show that a Sports Cat does work and with my current power a de-cat is not required.

August 2010 - Thought the centre was blowing AGAIN so rang Stew at TFS and took the car over to find that it wasn't blowing at all??? So took the time to annoying and wind up Stew and Dan whilst I was there.

Looking into Brake pads etc. Just missed out on doing a test with the new EBC range of pads. So turned my attention to PFP pads after speaking with a few others they seem to be the next step. Maybe speak with Dave P about his current discs and pads for sale. TBA.

Also been looking at crash hats for track days not to mention exhausts. Spoken with Stew who kindly said he's fabricate an exhaust for me once I purchased the sections I wants to "QUIET" the beast down.

On the list for this month given time and when I can annoy the tits off of Mike will need to get the rear bench back out. Also need to sort my stereo,speakers out for something more modern.
And lastly need my GEO re-doing. Haven't had it done for almost two years!!!! Shocking.

I did my maths the other day when working out fuel etc. I currently have an MPG of...............15.2 over the last two fill ups or 17 mpg. If I use the motorway (M3 & M25) for work I can see as much as 21 mpg!! not bad I think.

September 2010...................to be continued.