View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 10:05 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Default Ceramic Coating Debate

Whats it all about ?

In recent times the word on the car cleaning scene is 'ceramic coating', but what does it mean and why is it so expensive.

Now as some of you guys may know I like to keep a car clean.
Ever since my first car back in 1989 I've been happily waxing and polishing and working my way through new products as they hit the shelves.
From 1989 to early 2000's these have included T-Cut, Turtle Wax, Simoniz, Car Plan, Autoglym, Zydol & Meguiars.

The 'Detailing' scene then kicked in and you no longer 'Polished' your car, but you 'Detailed' it. I'm not sure what the difference is !!

Is it just the time you take to do it ?
Can you detail a car in 20 minutes ?
If you use more than 1 product, just it change from a Polish to a Detail ?
Or does detailing mean 'it took all day' ? If so I was probably 'detailing' with T-Cut back in 1989.

Since the word detailing has become part of the car cleaning vocabulary I have migrated to using product such as Chemical Guys, Poor Boys, Sonus and Menzerna.
The polishing cupboard/bag also gained a DA-6 oscillating polishing machine and various pads.

Now I must admit that spending many hours with a DA, various grades of product and a sun lamp to verify removal of swirlage is a great way to spend a day. But it's not a leisurely process, and you can expect to have a few aches and pains and dry hands as a result. But on a dark coloured car the impact of spending this time on the paint is well worth it.

My Black Leon FR was amazing, the White Cupra K1 was good but obviously not the same impact from a detail.
The Subaru has never been touched by my DA and still has original paint on 80% of the panels.

So back to my original question : What is Ceramic coating all about ?
Is it the same product that new and nearly new car dealers offer for £300 along with Scotch guarding your interior and back of the van wheel repairs.

I've always said no to this product, when offered. With my usual response being "I dont' want anything put on the paintwork (especially not by the apprentice with an old rag), as I like to maintain my own bodywork"

Is the ceramic coating service offered by professional detailer different to this.
Is this not doing themselves out of work ?
Surely a ceramic coated car would not need to see the detailer ever again, if it as good as they say.

Is Ceramic coating permanent ?

If any product or product marring remains on the panels prior to ceramic coating, just it end up trapped ?

How would you attack a scratch/blemish on a ceramic coated car ?

Is it just for the lazy, wash twice a year brigade ?

I could probably get the answers to all of the above via Google, but thought it would be a good topic to debate and share.