View Single Post
Old 26-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Bronze Member

Default The Gimp MY2002 STi

I'll be adding bits and bobs over the next few days or so.

Well where do I start? My previous MY2001 WRX was my pride and joy. Sadly through no fault of my own she was written off by some numpty.

During all the two-ing and throwing I wasn't sure what I would get as a replacement. I was looking at all sorts of cars cars, Skylines,Supras,Impreza,Legacys even a BMW came to mind.

After thinking about it I decided to go with another Impreza. On the shortlist was P1,Type R's,modded UK2000's,MY2002 WRX and STi's and MY2003 WRX or STi's.

P1 & Type R was chalked off by the misses due to be 2 doors. So looked at Modded UK2000's but came to mind was the car was older than what I had. So then moved onto MY2003 WRX's and STi's. At the time second hand they were still holding value and what with being a father for the first time 1 month previous and two weeks after my WRX got trashed I looked at MY2002 STi's.

After trawling through many sites I thought I'd never find what I was looking for. The following day all of a sudden I came across a car I was sure I came across on Scoobynet. Sure enough it was. Had a few mods already AST's,Rear ARB,Forge DV,strut brace and ECUTEK software. So pretty good ground to start on.

Sent the guy an email and got a reply pretty rapid. He advised me of his user name and sure enough it was the same car I adored on SN.
Now at the time the guy was in Thailand so had to speak with his Dad. Gave the Dad a call on the Thursday and arranged to meet on the Saturday in Great Yarmouth.

This is one of the add pictures.

So over in Great Yarmouth and after inspection fell in love with the car. Whilst we sat down to talk about a price etc two people called about it. I knew at this point I had to say YES or NO. So with the hand shake I agreed a price with the Dad and paid a deposit. Agreed to pick up the car the following Saturday.

After looking at the name on some receipts I noticed an address not far from here. In fact it was the car Bitto (forgot his user name now) had owned when he first purchased it to the UK from Malta. After sending him a message he advised me what he had done which was a lot in a short space of time.

The day of picking it up I thought my bad luck had struck again. No side lights working. After changing the fuses all was good. On the drive home it was for sure a joy. On the paper work it stated the car was running 332bhp and 330lbft. Because I was used to my previous Impreza I thought "Bloody hell this thing shifts".

After driving the car for a week and driving against other cars in similar power my car was falling back a little? Thought sod it. On the to do list.

Then on a Friday whilst off week 12 days after getting it I thought I give it a good clean with some of the Swissvax goodies. Spent almost 9 hours doing it. Decided I'd take it for a drive by the river and maybe get some photo's.

Whilst I was sat stationary this happened by a little cock faced twat coming the otherway doing 70mph in a 30mph zone!!

I was a ruined soul. On closer inspection the B pillar was pretty damage so feared the worst.

This happened in the June and due to the third parties insurance messing me around the car didn't go in for repair until July.

So after getting the car back late August or so the car felt different. Had a few noises that for sure wasn't there before. Car went back and spent a few further days being looked at. This was now September. I felt as though Subaru ownership and me were not meant to be. During it's second stint at Cheam for repairs the MOT had also been done. One note was "Leak rear section".

Also purchased a few bits for the car as a treat. New mats, Prodrive gear knob, battery clamp and oil cap.

Don't ask me why but this was the start of modding on the car here!! (at last I here you say).

September 2007 - I loved the sound of the Milltek exhaust on it but wanted something a little louder. So gave James at GRD a call and got a mid section and back box off of him.

October 2007 - Changed the Panel Filter to a Grp N TSL version.

November 2007 - I wanted another Exhaust. After hearing the sound of a WRC car I wanted something that sounded just like it. At the time Christian (WhiteNoise) just purchased a new exhaust and it was the exhaust tone I wanted all this time.
So placed my order with Roger Clark Motorsport to get the Full 3" Team Ice system with sports cat.
With the help of Scogsy and Moomin this was done in pretty good timing as I was off to see Rally GB in the following couple of weeks. (Geek or what) The rest is history.lol

November 2007 - Brought a set of HID lights. To this very day they still have not been fitted and are in my garage. lol

November 2007 - Fitted new side light bulbs (Phillips blue vision) & new driving lights from Halfrauds (50% brighter)

November 2007 - Brought some chrome style rear bulbs for indicators etc from RCM (and a cheeky bottle of NF)

December 2007 - Brakes needed a little more bite. Called James at GRD and popped over to see him for Yellow Stuff pads all round. Massive difference the pads made.
December 2007 - Whilst at Rally GB and using the roads normally for Army trucks etc to park up a lud noise came from the front of the car? On hitting the main roads it felt as though I had a puncture. On inspection this wasn't the case. Got the car home from Wales and took it over to Cheam on the Monday.
Was advised the noise was coming from the o/s/f coilover.

January 2008 - Due to the car not feeling right and getting further knocking I took the car over to Curtis at Powerstation to check the AST coilovers. Was not good so needed a replacement shock and geo settings.
Whilst I was there I asked if it could be put on the rollers. I was shocked with the results to say the least.
310bhp - 290lbft!!!! Some way off of what I thought it was and should have been.

January 2008 - Wanted to get the TEIN bonnet lifters for ages but missed out on a group buy each time. Mart off of here was selling a set as well as a Turbosmart DV so fitted them the following day.

February 2008 - After a few months I felt the car needed a major service so booked car in with Cheam Motors to carry major service with belts etc done. Not cheap but worth every penny. (Discs worn) Purchased some Aero Blades at the time too.
February 2008 - After looking around at replacement options I went for the Brembo Sport package with discs in drilled format.
Scogsy again was a gentleman and popped over to give us a hand (or should I say watched him) .

February 2008 - Seem as I was doing bits and bobs I thought I'd also change the brand of polish and wax. So made a massive order of Blackfire's range and again to this day this stuff is still the best stuff I have ever used.

June 2008 - As I had no fitting kit with the Turbosmart DV I got fed up with the vappour rails looking stupid on the IC so removed it and put the Forge VTA back on.

June 2008 - Hadn't spend anything on the car for a few months so treated myself to a Prodrive Diff guard and had it fitted whilst I waited at Cheam Motors.

June 2008 - After not knowing what I'd get out of the car but feeling it needed spicing up a little i decided to book the car in with Simon (JGM). Not knowing who had the rights etc to the Software I called Ecutek to ask them. When I told them a bit about the car and from previous invoices giving to me when Bitto first owned the car. I was suprised the guy remembered.
He advised me that the very car I owned was one of if not the first ever Newage STi to have the ECUTEK map loaded in the UK!! I was a little shocked to be honest etc.

So after tapping Simon up and rubbing his legs like little a rampant rabbit on speed Si transformed the car completely.

After the first run the car was even less powerful than I thought.......290bhp - 260lbft on SRR!!! Following Simon using his skills I left there with 312bhp - 296 lbft. Well happy.

July 2008 - Oil change at my sisters other halfs work. Castrol Magnatec 10W/40.
July 2008 - Purchased a Walbro 255 pump off of Teaforvicar. Also purchased a new fuel filter etc. Our very own Penfold (aka Chris) knew how to fit these from the past so over to his I went to enjoy a laugh and cup of tea.

July 2008 - Booked the car in with Simon (JGM) again following the changes. Including adding , 100mls of NF octane booster.
Left with the following 329.7bhp - 315lbft.