View Single Post
Old 21-04-2014, 09:25 PM

Default Another de-tango thread ;)

After trying to be as lazy as possible over the Easter break and only spending an hour to change a dodgy ball-joint on the Pug I thought I was getting away with a long weekend of slacking but The Handbrake had other idea's. No not cleaning the house, fixing shelves, or any of the normal wifey type stuff!.. "Dave we should de-tango!!.." At first I thought she was referring to some deranged dance class, but thankfully she was talking about the Car!!

The lady had spoken, so a quick trip to Halfrawds and I set to work.

Headlights out screws removed and in the oven to separate!.. Bake at 100 oC for 10mins and serve with Gravy?

Gently prise the two halves apart with the aid of a small flat blade screwdriver..

Obviously after much debate and Wanda spending several hours looking at many different pictures of Subaru's on the interwebs she agreed to let me blacken the chrome finish light surround so a quick sand with some 2500grit wet and dry and on with a couple of coats of primer, rubbing down between each coat, I baked the first coat for 30mins at around 85/100 degrees C. The second for about 1 hour also at 80 odd.

Next a couple of coats of satin black to finish., first baked for 30mins then rubbed down again and final coat baked for 1 hour at 85 again.
the finished articles look like this.

After this I fixed both of the finished surrounds back into the lens covers and stuck the halves back in the oven to warm the silicon sealant up again.. I also applied a fresh bead of sealant though I know this is probably not needed. bulbs and bits back together!

To cheap skate out of expensive indicator bulbs (and because Halfrawds didn't stock any!) I applied a quick dusting of metallic silver paint to some cheap orange bulbs (seems to work fine!)

The finished result....

So the question is...

Should I now get some black zunsport grills? (Excuse the quick and dirty photoshop)

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.