View Single Post
Old 13-04-2016, 05:23 PM
Regular User

As promised, pics and a brief update

Fitting the steering wheel and boss was a cinch, however I can see where things could go wrong. It's really important to get a boss which accommodates the steering angle sensor nubs on the clock spring unit; this would probably be a doable mod on a standard Momo-type hub, but I went for this item from the States:

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...el-hub-adapter

It wasn't cheap, especially after import duties etc. but I had the peace of mind knowing it would definitely fit with the steering angle gubbins. I put it on with no problems. It also has the patterns for both Momo and Nardi fittings, so you can use pretty much any aftermarket wheel you like. I wasn't bothered about having a quick release, but Splash do a short version of this hub for about $40 more, which would work well with QR devices.

The wheel is a Sparco 345: it has a 60mm dish, so a nice halfway between flat and full dish. Nice slim unfettered rim, went for the suede trim for use with gloves on track (plus I prefer the look ).

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motors...steering-wheel

It also happened to be one of the cheapest wheels from a reputable company, so (not really) quids in too. It's a 350mm, Bigemp as you said a 320mm is too small The positioning feels much better now, I can get a bit further from the pedals for comfort. And the steering has a bit more weight due to the smaller radius.

At the same time as the steering wheel, I fitted the refurbished IACV. Hasn't helped the fast idle issue, but I want a full remap doing anyway after I get the ECU sent off for the upgrade to Alcatek, so should see it all sorted then. I plan to ditch the anti-lag setting, and use the switchable map feature for separate street and track maps.

The wheels came back and IMO look great. £30 per wheel! Put a new pair of Yoko AD08rs on the back, and gave all the calipers a little clean. I suspect the fronts will need repainting at some point though Not sure whether to attempt this myself, it would definitely be cheaper. Any feedback on that is welcome!

Finally I fitted some bling. Tegiwa rear tow hook in red anodised aluminium, white Cobb Racing delrin shift knob, and a Broadway JDM-type wide angle rear mirror... That last one takes some getting used to, but wow what a difference to rear visibility. Esp with the daft APR race mirrors I fitted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9514.jpg (36.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9464.jpg (71.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9465.JPG (76.4 KB, 19 views)

The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,

Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,

And burbled as it came...