View Single Post
Old 13-04-2021, 10:06 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

So.... the scoob is pretty much done bar a few small things but I did have a worrying moment or two along the way...

Installed turbo, downpipe and then finished connecting everything else up - battery in, airbox assembly with new Apexi panel filter, all fluids in, getting ready for that first start.

Checked and double checked everything, so unplugged the crank sensor and fuse 11 (ignition) and cranked it over to build oil pressure. I'd read online that a good way to check oil is getting around everywhere was to unplug the oil feed line from the top of the turbo and put it into a bag (so not to make a mess!) as this is pretty much the last place to get oil when all is working.

Engine turned over as expected without starting, all sounded good. Gave it a few 15-20 second cranks and no oil at the turbo. Back to Google
Turns out that when the engine has been sat sometimes the oil pump can't prime easily if the oil filter has been pre-filled - that acts as a block in the system and the oil pump can't push the air through the oil filter (its a fluid pump, not an air pump...). The trick is to remove the oil filter, crank until there's oil coming out the filter hole, then whack the pre-filled filter back on and try again. Worked like a peach, got oil to the turbo and oil pressure light on dash went out too. Happy days.

Final checkover.... then fuse back in, crank sensor reconnected and off we go. Engine started up first time. And i switched it straight back off as my heart sank. Metal on metal grinding clattering noises coming from the bay.

Now i'm not a mechanic, but I couldn't believe the engine itself was the problem. It wasn't the usual knocking you get from Subaru engines.... It turned over on the starter motor fine with no noises and I'd done everything right to ensure good oil pressure. And whilst I was on my own, I couldn't easily diagnose where the sound was coming from. It sounded so bad I started the engine and then switched it off immediately, so I was at the drivers door with the key in the ignition the whole time, with bonnet up getting in the way of the sound too. Managed to rope in the old man for half hour and got him to listen whilst I did it again... noise was coming from back of engine/bell housing.

Further investigation under the car found the problem... when lowering the engine in, the clutch cover thing (this part - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flywheel-...-/283552041663 ) had snagged on the gearbox bell housing and one side had rucked up inside the clutch/flywheel space. Was pretty hard to see as the part is sandwiched between the engine, gearbox and subframe. Access was a pig, but I managed to undo the bell housing bolts, remove starter, undo engine mounts and then jack engine carefully by sump (I used a plank of wood with a nice thick piece of foam on it!) so get enough clearance to remove the bolts and whip it out.

You can see the scoring on it, it had been touching on the clutch housing. Anyway, all reassembled and went for another start. And she ran fine. Phew

Out the garage for a wash!

Done a few miles since and all seems good, although all off-boost until it gets mapped. I've got to replace the O2 sensor as that's thrown a CEL that the heater element in it has failed but no major issue.

It's been a long, sometimes frustrating, but ultimately satisfying journey...!!