View Single Post
Old 29-10-2015, 05:51 PM
Gold Member

Default World Rallycross Championship R12 – Franciacorta

My last rallycross outing of the year, this time to Italy. It was a rather mixed weekend: one enjoyable day of sunshine and racing, one not so enjoyable day thanks to heavy rain and a rather bad case of food poisoning!

Managed to get a few shots on both days though, here are some of my faves…

BTCC driver Andrew Jordan was filling in for Mattias Ekstrom in one of the EKS Audi S1’s. He looked quick in practise, but unfortunately a technical issue with the car put him out for the weekend.

The OMSE Fiestas have been upgraded in the last few months and the changes showed here, as all three OMSE cars were quick.

Tommy Rustad won the European Rallycross final and secured the 2015 European Rallycross Championship from Jerome Grosset-Janin.

Gigi Galli debuted his new Kia Rio Supercar. It looked great in practise, but didn’t make it out for the heats. Shame, but I’m sure it will be back next year!

Ulrik Linnemann was the man to beat in Super 1600, though his erratic performance during the year meant he was out of contention for the Super 1600 Championship.

Petter Solberg’s Championship lead has been slowly decreasing over the last few rounds as Timmy Hansen has been on a winning streak. Petter was fast but sensible in Italy, as he just needs to be consistent to win the 2015 World Championship.

Timmy Hansen was very fast all weekend and looked like he would take a bit more out of Solberg’s lead. Unfortunately a crash in the first semi-final put him out of the racing: and seemingly out of the Championship. Petter now needs just four points in Argentina to lift the title.

Overall winner of the weekend was Andreas Bakkerud. He wasn’t the quickest off the blocks on Saturday, but he was flying on Sunday and won the final by a couple of seconds.

Other than my disagreement with the local cuisine it was an excellent weekend of racing: next year’s Championship can’t arrive soon enough!