Thread: Ed's P1 Impreza
View Single Post
Old 30-05-2015, 07:50 AM
Regular User

April:

So some may already know but after a great meet at RCM on Saturday I travelled home via M69 and when I got to M21a I pulled over as I noticed a noise under load. I pulled over and popped the bonnet.

With a blip of the throttle to me disbelieve you could hear a big end had given up! I made the decision right or wrong to get the car home if she held together. So I joined the M1 sat behind a lorry for 15 miles and reversed the old girl into the garage. Gutted but more annoyed as I've just got the car to where I want it to enjoy over the summer months and drive the damn thing.

Glad I didn't go to prodrive after the meet, that would have ended in a disaster and an interesting trip home behind a Rac van! Missed out for sure though.

So here's my options. Bearing in mind I'm aiming to keep the car standard but a remap to maximise the cars potential and correct engine running will be done.

1. Mate has a 60k P1 engine I can swap along with some cash as he's a breaker and will sell the good bits left.

2. Second hand Sti V7/8 bottom end and do piston rings and bearings before fitting.

3. ICP brand new out the crate Sti V7/8 bottom end via Subaru £2000!

3. Fully forge my bottom end if the blocks ok! (More than what I can afford but future proof)

4. Full Advance Automotive build with SCB. (Will mean divorce and probably the car off the road for rest of the year to save.)

So the last few days have been tough! My mind has been running around to one point breaking my car was an option as I didn't want to spend 4k on my perfect build making my car owe me more than its worth. Everything I didn't want this car to be.

To say the least I've seen the light after loosing the love even after a great meet.

I am awaiting a quote from RCM for a rebuild using a brand new v8 bottom end. (my perfect build) This will include stripping head and resetting valve etc! I expect this to be 4-5k but awaiting to see out of interest.

But the more realistic option is I'm going to pull out the engine with a friend that's just had the exact same problem with his turbo 2000. He's a master mechanic and been in the business for 30 years. Also his dad works for Welams motors in town who do all head rebuilding, boring, crank grinding for the whole of East Midlands probably including RCM.

Inspect the parts and replace broken or damaged parts. Parts will be new genuine, acl bearings, new crank no doubt and rings. If it gets to over £1000 in parts alone I'll be v8 bottom end myself as under 2k from icp and better value.

He did his and cost under £500 in parts.

Hopefully have some more updates soon, but going to enjoy the bank holiday first.