Thread: Ed's P1 Impreza
View Single Post
Old 30-05-2015, 07:51 AM
Regular User

May:

So I purchased No 946 and drove it back to my storage. Suspension felt tight and handled well. Kept of boost just to be sure as engine is done for my car.

Car:

Was tempted to use it as my bases as the car has only one previous owner and a complete service history but due to efforts on my current car I just couldn't do it!

So the Engine was Rebuilt less than 20k ago by Subaru at a cost of over 6k. The owner seems to have lost the love although shed a tear when I drove it off. He'd even used it as his wedding car!

Receipt:

Thursday I managed to get a free afternoon with work and started to take the engine out. Surprisingly after 3hrs It was out even with one of the Turbo bolts taking me 45 mins of blood, sweat and tears!! Think my swear box now has enough money for a Second House!

Hanging Around:

Whats Missing:

So a quick call to the RAC and my Car was carried away to the yard to remove the engine. Sorry no picture!

This time the engine came out quickly.

So Jobs to do:

Fit New Turbo stud
Swap over Exhaust headers & up pipe
Swap over Clutch as nearly New
Turbo oil feed pipe need swapping as not looking great.
Fit New Cambelt
Fit New Maf Sensor
Fit Modified Oil Pump Check Valve

Then Drop the engine in, top up fluids.

Run up to temperature and change Engine Oil & Filter!

So here it is then!

I arrived to see these two sorry looking cars!

Luckily my mate had covered mine up as he was drying some dusty beans!

Uncle Eeeeeedy Set about the clutch swap as my Engine had a next to brand new Clutch and flywheel.

I changed the Plugs and swapped over the Leads.

We then set on the cambelt, to which came to a heart in mouth moment when changed the tensioner over it pulled the thread! Luckily that section with the thread in is seperate to the block so stole that of the other engine. So all tensioners and pulleys swapped over as the 20K genuine ones were at best very worn and unusable!

So a few other bits changed over including new Maf Sensor and we dropped her in! Didn't take long and with all fluids topped up we turned the key, Vrooooom first time!

Warmed her up then dropped the Engine Oil and Filter, Good as new.

946 was then tucked away ready for the new owner to collect her!

Back where she belongs, 50 miles clocked up and to me it feels a lot smoother so maybe the Maf sensor was on the way out. Wanted to clock a few miles up but duty calls with the wife and kids!

Must find reasons to go out now!