South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 18-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Silver Member

Default whoops

Popped into jap performance this pm, seem to have upset the 'God of breakers yards'.
Went to see some coilovers made him a cash now offer only once mind, and he said no, then he put the price up even more???

He has got far too much money!!
Old 18-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Crowman

What a fool, he is so expensive.
It will all come crumbling down if Saj does not start to realise the true value of some of his items!!!
Old 18-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Nige

The man is a robber.
Old 18-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
The man is a robber.
Agree 100% he is charging almost full price for secondhand parts. Buy new and get a guarantee on your parts
Old 18-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

I have not used them since they told me they had parts i needed and was prepared to pay the money as i could not find them.Phoned on the morning to make sure before driving up then when i get there no parts and not even a sorry.Would not use them again.
Old 19-03-2010, 07:33 AM
Regular User

Where is the best place to get spares from, if not Jap Performance?????????
Old 19-03-2010, 08:20 AM
worzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Fly View Post
Where is the best place to get spares from, if not Jap Performance?????????
And there in lies the rub. He has the market cornered.
Old 19-03-2010, 08:38 AM
SES Mercedes Division

I had a rather large fallout with Saj

I dont go there anymore, i find bits for emma's scoob on forums now as it's a lot cheaper and dont get money raped
Old 19-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Silver Member

I get all my bits from Ebay or on the forums. Needed a rear caliper last year, Saj wanted £45, got one from Ebay for £9 with almost new pads.
Old 19-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Platinum Member

i go to ebay or the forums now, i went in there to get a splitter for the 200 and he wanted £60 for it, it was scuffed to hell and was broken in half, other things made me chuckle too like he wanted £40 for a set of standard front indicators, i know hes got lots of parts that people want but why take the piss on the price?
Old 19-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Silver Member

It never used to be that bad price wise, I have cirtanly noticed a big difference lately. I have to use tham for some stuff as buying new from Subaru is an absolute joke but as previously said best to get stuff from forums.
Old 19-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

Dont forget all his stock comes from japan and the yen to pound is very bad which will be part of the problem.
Old 19-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Authorised Trader

As CJ said, the Yen is so strong now that anything coming from Japan is going to be getting expensive.

There is a thread on Scoobynet about dealers not being able to bring cars into the country, as they are so expensive from Japan.

I know someone who got some prices from a Jap breaker down in the west country, and they were the same prices as Saj (so even more once delivery was added)
Old 19-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Nige

The man's still a dick. He tried to charge me £30 more for a second hand front mount than Harvy Smith was selling new one's for??? Same brand.
Old 19-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Greig,
Have you thought about the AP calipers that Revolutions sell. Quite good spec and very good price.
Their website seems claim they are welsort after.

http://www.revolution247.com/my93-00...t-79702-0.html

Last edited by Scott.T; 19-03-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 19-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Silver Member

spent the evening before a santa pod show having a drink with him and his boys at the localpub to the hotel,had a good laugh!
saw him the next day at his stall at the show,chatted about the night before,then told him we needed two ring clamps for a mates intercooler pipe,as had just blown on the strip,told him why.
offered me two in absolutley awfull second hand condition and said"just give me a tenner the pair"......................these were halfords own.............what the f**K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
told him to go F*** himself,much to the disgust of his clan!!!!!!!!!
wouldnt use him again!

shame cause i exchanged a blitz sus kit for a brand new apexi and a bit of cash,and a hks blow off valve base there with c.j. once,and was pleased with the deal
Old 19-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonairheadz View Post
told him to go F*** himself,much to the disgust of his clan!!!!!!!!!
In those words?
Old 19-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Greig,
Have you thought about the AP calipers that Revolutions sell. Quite good spec and very good price.
Their website seems claim they are welsort after.

http://www.revolution247.com/my93-00...t-79702-0.html

Proberbly a good thing we didn't buy them from him, it was just a case of we were passing and wanting them 'now' rather than waiting.
Going to pick up a brand new set of BC coilovers early tomorrow morning for £50 less than saj wanted for a secondhand set??

I can understand about the exchange rate but when we apparently offended him and he put the original price up i thought it was a bit childish!! Oh well lucky escape!!
Old 19-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

If you fancy a laugh have a look on his cars for sale section. He wants £6750 for a ver 7 sti with hole in the engine? For another £1000 he will supply you with another block, add the price for rebuild, sva, registration, mot, road tax etc. and you could own this car for about £9000
Old 19-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Silver Member

I found all the performance and bling bit's for my car through e-bay forums etc and most of it i payed silly money for.Jap wanted £95 when i asked about a zero sports undertray i got my one for £35 posted.If any body needs bit's finding let me know as to be honest got all my bit's now so have the time to look for others

Last edited by Scooby Wez; 19-03-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 19-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moley_WRX View Post
In those words?
yep in those words,he wasnt shy about accepting a drink for him and his mates either!
gotta be honest i was surprized when he pulled themoff an old pipe,i thought ok he will give me those old things free after the round of drinks i bought them the night before!
then " £10 mate"!.............what planet!
Old 20-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Regular User

I brought a idle contol valve just befor christmas (£80 for second hand), but was desperate for one. Thought at the time it was a little on the steep side for a second hand part. Flee-bay it is then.
Old 20-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Fly View Post
I brought a idle contol valve just befor christmas (£80 for second hand), but was desperate for one. Thought at the time it was a little on the steep side for a second hand part. Flee-bay it is then.
Same part would of cost about £40 from http://www.gradea-subaru.co.uk/ and be with you next morning,as I got one there previously.
Old 20-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Silver Member

this thread is exactly the point about greedy/rip off buisnesses.
in the same way word of mouth can help you,it can also hurt you!
i bet he would be gutted to read this,but i dought it would change his pricing policies!
ive purchaced so much great stuff from club members on many forums and have never been ripped off.
just looking at the posts on here you can see its not a one off!
Old 20-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Authorised Trader

TBH i haven't found them to be that bad. Yeah some prices can be a bit high, but i am willing to pay a few extra £££ if i am desperate for the part and they have it there.

With so many forum members (not on here i'd add) being ripped off by dodgy sellers the confidence from buying from a proper company is also worth paying a few extra £££ for.

I'll certainly carry on buying parts from them, and know many people who feel the same.

One thing i will add.... not wanting to cause any issues.... but if someone asked me for a price, and then told me to ''go f**k myself'' if they thought it was too high, my response wouldn't be anywhere near as calm as Sajids.
Old 20-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Rest in peace Simon.

Worth trying www.hdcsubaru.com nice guys and usually next day delivery
Simon
Old 20-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Can't beleive the a mod or admin have not closed this thread
Old 20-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

why,in the same way a member would post their good experiences with buisnesses,why shouldnt they pass on info about their bad experiences.
as i said i had used them before with you,and found him helpfull and reasonable,but the next time absolutley ridiculous.
many other posts on the site in the past have given their opinions on other buisnesses.

with regards gary after buying him and his 5 buddies a drink at the bar and chatting for an hour,being asked for a tenner for two halfords branded coroded hose clamps which were about £2 each new! and were taken off a piece of old hose(which was for sale for £15)was a joke!when i asked "are you joking,how did you come up with that price"his reply was "you need them,ive got them"!
i guess we all have our way of dealing with things!

also what do we have,one thread 10 or so unhappy punters!knowledge is power(look how we all found moley!)

Last edited by simonairheadz; 20-03-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 20-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonairheadz View Post
why,in the same way a member would post their good experiences with buisnesses,why shouldnt they pass on info about their bad experiences.
as i said i had used them before with you,and found him helpfull and reasonable,but the next time absolutley ridiculous.
many other posts on the site in the past have given their opinions on other buisnesses.

with regards gary after buying him and his 5 buddies a drink at the bar and chatting for an hour,being asked for a tenner for two halfords branded coroded hose clamps which were about £2 each new! and were taken off a piece of old hose(which was for sale for £15)was a joke!when i asked "are you joking,how did you come up with that price"his reply was "you need them,ive got them"!
i guess we all have our way of dealing with things!

also what do we have,one thread 10 or so unhappy punters!knowledge is power(look how we all found moley!)
Did I read that he had a break in a few months ago? maybe this is due to the recent price increase in his parts.
Old 20-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. J. View Post
Can't beleive the a mod or admin have not closed this thread
The thread wasn't ment to be a personel attack on Saj it was just ment as a general what iv'e been doing today chat?
Besides it's up to him what he wants to charge and if he can't accept a fair offer then thats fine, there was no argument from me i just left.
Old 21-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Platinum Member

Why
Its just turned into a slag saj thread end of
Old 21-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. J. View Post
Why
Its just turned into a slag saj thread end of
It is obvious that people think Jap Performance prices are expensive, and are free to express that.

Perhaps you could let Saj know peoples feelings and ask him to offer members of SES a discount, at the end of the day most of his parts are second hand, not brand new and as far as I know dont come with the same guarantees as a new part.

That then would generate more business for him with perhaps a little less profit.

We are all potential customers.
Old 21-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member

lol where is this Saj guy located ?
Old 21-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Silver Member

ive seen most members on here recomending sites/buisnesses
also the same members telling us not to go near other sites/buisnesses with a barge pole!
this is exactly why forums work,consumers passing on their knowledge and experiences to like minded people!
as i said in an earlier post,look how many of us use moley(gary) for our insurance!
recomendations which we must trust(as we didnt know him personally) and all users when asked about insurance are more than happy to pass on his name and number.
bad experiences work the same way.
i would not expect anywhere to charge 2.5 times the price for worn/used/non guarenteed parts over a brand new part!
also no one can possibly think the answer"you want it,ive got it,thats how i came up with that price" a reasonable answer surely???
Old 21-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

ive got quite a few bits from him and have never payed miles over what others have wanted... but have them the same day and can get on with what i was working on
Old 22-03-2010, 08:40 AM
worzel

I have bought quite a few things from him in the past and probably will again.

Yes he is expensive, sometimes very expensive. But, if you need something in a hurry he nearly always helps you out. As has been pointed out several times in the thread, he has had the Yen / Pound thing to deal with, the break in and all of this at the same time as doubling his premises size, stock and staff numbers.

Saj will usually do you a deal on larger items to be fair but the way things are at the moment, he will never do you anything on something under £50 and rightly so.

It might be worth talking to Saj about member discounts, but this would mea us starting the full membership side of things and members producing an SES members card when purcahsing. We have talked about this kind of thing in the admin area for some time, maybe it's time to see if members want this kind of thing. Maybe we could do similar deals with other associates (although we don't need to with Gary Moulson, as he already does thi off his own back )

I do believe that this thread is a good debate and hasn't got out of hand at all, people are entitled to their opinions on things like this, as long as they don't get too out of hand.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:26 AM
Bronze Member

iv never bought from there, even though walking through the aladdins cave of parts does make me want to get my wallet out but like mentioned earlier iv found the same parts new or in better condition cheaper in other places but when you NEED that part there and then thats the place to go
Old 11-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Regular User

id always pay a bit extra if i wanted the part there and then, im impatient so hate waiting for things to come in the post plus if its infront of you then it can be seen before you buy it rather than turning up in the post not being what u thought it would be.

Ive used them in the past (in the good old days when ive actually owned a scooby) and yes id say he is expensive but he is running a business and times are hard so hes gotta make money where he can, although a bit more customer care sounds like it wouldnt go amiss. And saj's 2nd hand parts arent like some of the ****e you would get off of ebay or other forums, he, from what ive seen, will give you very good condition 2nd hand parts.

But in my opinion when u go to a place like this id pay a bit extra as the guy knows what he is talking about so you get sound advice aswell as the part u wanted there and then and have heard of times when he would help fit it there with you if you needed help so swings and rounabouts id say.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Well i broke spomething on my scoob while cleaning it last week and he gave it to me half price.... was a pleasent surprise
Old 12-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member

I like the fact that I was able to mosey around and choose from a range of items (STI8 steering wheel, STI8 top mount) and on each occasion pick the best one from a reasonable stock. And yes, i paid a bit more for that priviledge, but came away happy on both occasions, having held in my hand the goods before I chose to buy them.

Saj is a valuable source of supply to be offered to SES members, in my opinion.

Old 14-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Regular User

saj is running a business somethings are quite pricey some are not, when i was up there getting bits and bobs for gear box etc

we had a good chat about business etc, it now costs him double the price as it did 2 year ago to buy and bring a car over here, lots of the other brakers have stopped importing for that reason,
he now also exports to lots to other countrys and has quite a good reputation

his prices for the startmotor, track rod end sti brakes etc etc were what i exspected to pay, anywere and at least i had some comeback if things didnt work,

yes you can get some good deals on ebay, but you can also receve crap as i know of people this has happend to,

with saj as with anything you buy anywere if your not happy you dont buy it, there arethings i wouldnt buy from him because its not werth it, but if he wasnt there i would be at a loss, for the things i need or want to look at before buying

its easy to talk someone down or a company when your not face to face, and when the other person cant respond

had to say my bit
Old 15-04-2010, 08:26 AM
worzel

Good responses guys.

I think everyone knows that Saj isn't always cheap, but 99 times out of 100 he has what you want, on the shelf. And as been pointed out previously you get to choose the very part you want straight from the shelf and not someone grabbing and posting just another box to you.

And he is extremely knowledgeable in this business and that is priceless.

I reckon another open day there is on the cards.
Old 15-04-2010, 08:48 AM
SES Mercedes Division

Another bad point againt saj is returns

Bought a few things that have been damaged/not working. Getting money back is a mission.

Bought a blitz bov from him, the internals were 100% dead. Took it back. He didnt have any other v1-2 bov's, so he only gave £75 back for it. He said he could only refund £75 for it as he wouldn't have any use for it.

Saw it back up for sale in there a few weeks later!!!
Old 15-04-2010, 08:50 AM
SES Mercedes Division

I run my own business, i know you have to make money, but you also need to keep your customers happy.

Whats the point of having a business if you have no customers coz you have ripped them all off & upset them all?