South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 01-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

Default Gearbox rattle

Ok here's the niggle.

The cars running really nice but with all this hot weather and the fact the windows are down whilst out and about Ive recently noticed a gearbox rattle/slap metallic noise, kinda like cogs meshing and taking up slack as they touch each other on over run when changing down into 4th and then into 3rd using the engine as slight breaking. (I'm guessing that's where the noise is coming from). Oh and only when the car has been on a run and everything is nice and warm does this sound occour.

There's no whining on acceleration or deceleration and the car has had new millers 75-90 gearbox and diff oil not to long ago along with a new exedy pink box clutch. The old oil I took out was dark but clean with no metal fillings or suspect looking sludge.

I have been reading on verious sites, pages and forums that changing the clutch to an uprated one can cause this rattle with some people saying its coming from the release bearing but I just don't know how true this can be.

Does anybody else have a similar noise or has anybody heard of this before? am I just worrying unduly.

The gear box is the Ty754 type which apparently is a harder and stronger box than the Ty752 type and by no means has my car been pushed hard.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly taken on board.
Car is still very drivable and ill continue to enjoy it but would like to know where it's coming from.

Rich
Old 01-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Mine does the same in the same gears and also has a excedy pink clutch and lightneed flywheel. Didn't notice it before the clutch change.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Mine does the same in the same gears and also has a excedy pink clutch and lightneed flywheel. Didn't notice it before the clutch change.
That's very reasuring to know Scott, i know how you like things just right so if its not a concern to you ill leave well alone and ignore it. i didnt notice mine till the clutch change either but then started to think did i not align something or tighten something correctley.
Cheers fella.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Gold Member

Spigot thingy? Mine started making a noise, then got worse very quickly, had it changed when new clutch was put on. Dan showed me afterwards, the bearings had began to just drop out.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortster View Post
Spigot thingy? Mine started making a noise, then got worse very quickly, had it changed when new clutch was put on. Dan showed me afterwards, the bearings had began to just drop out.
Hmmm I changed my spigot bearing when I did my clutch so I'm not so sure it could be that?

Did your noise disappear when you changed yours nick and are you now running an exedy clutch?.

I'm starting to think its down to that particular make of clutch the more I read on the net.