South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 15-09-2015, 02:05 PM
Bronze Member

Default Missing some ponies...

The mystery still continues... Let me get everyone up to speed.

Part 1.
2.5" Scorpion exhaust system fitted. Standard downpipe.
Remap
VF43 turbo
K&N induction kit
think that was all...
Dyno run - 336BHP

Part 2.
Full service including spark plug change.
Walbro 255 fuel pump fitted
Japspeed Sports Cat Downpipe
3" Vortex Afterburner exhaust system fitted
Dyno run - 305bhp

Part 3.
STi intercooler fitted
Remap tweak.
Dyno run - 324bhp.

I'm still missing about 30 ponies somewhere... Any idea what's gone wrong?
Old 15-09-2015, 03:01 PM
Rest in peace Jodie.

does your mapper not have a take on it?
Old 15-09-2015, 04:40 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Can you throw up the boost plot/graph aswell
Old 15-09-2015, 04:53 PM
Bronze Member

@Riiidaa - It was Duncan at RaceDymanix, and no nothing was mentioned. The 324 run, it was taken over by TFS, I collected afterwards.

@Scott.T - See below mate.

Old 15-09-2015, 05:12 PM

is the boost tailing of like that the turbo running out of puff/slight boost leak? or is that mapped like that do you recon Scott? i thought it would hold more and only drop off a little.
2003 Blobeye WRX SL Wagon

Last edited by 555_Si; 15-09-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 15-09-2015, 05:34 PM

Boost should be near 1.45-1.5 then tailing off as little as possible.
That's how I would map an STI on that turbo.
Perhaps Duncan is being cautious of the 2.5 bottom end. If so the power is about right.
Old 15-09-2015, 05:35 PM

Is it a WRX or STI ?
Old 15-09-2015, 05:36 PM
Bronze Member

Here's the 305bhp graphs:

Old 15-09-2015, 05:51 PM

Just saw you signature.
I think Duncan is mapping safe/O.K for a WRX bottom end.
Old 15-09-2015, 07:41 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

324 on a WRX bottom end and 5 Speed box ain't to shabby to be honest. The STI cooler was a worth while mod, to keep it cool and protect it more so not money wasted.

324 on a 2.5 with the longer gearing of a 5 speed, must make it feel pretty lively and responsive.
Old 16-09-2015, 08:20 AM
Bronze Member

It does and I do love it. Just find it weird how skew as mapped to 336, but after service and upgrading stuff, she dropped 30 horses.
Old 16-09-2015, 12:35 PM

it dropped the horses as the ecu was pulling the timing at the top end, due to the 3 inch exhaust fitting allowing it to breath more freely thus running slightly lean. simples.

when remapped Duncan has played it on the safe side and given you the BHP you now have, but BHP isn't really worth worrying about, it is torque and reliability you want. though you also don't want too much torque as the 5 speed will poop itself.
2003 Blobeye WRX SL Wagon
Old 16-09-2015, 04:51 PM
Bronze Member

Fair enough, makes sense now! I've been told by Stu & Duncan that the 5 speed is good for 350bhp but no higher.

He then also added that he's currently running 400bhp through his Forester on a 5 speed ha.
Old 16-09-2015, 07:05 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

It's not the BHP that will kill the box, its more than likely the torque. But you can map torque out to a degree which is likely how others have managed high BHP on a 5 speed along with a respectfull right foot and deep pockets in the knowledge if it kills the box it will just get another.

Remember having a classic with a 2.5 on a 5 speed, and as soon as it was mapped to just 1.1 bar and full torque it lunched the box the following day on the 3rd gear pull... But to be fair to Scott who mapped it, he marked my card and said you will strip third gear with the extra torque in the near future, but was a gamble I was prepared to take.

Best thing about a 2.5 is the torque and what makes for a quick road car so would personally prefer torque over BHP. 320 or 350 bhp you would struggle to notice a difference but a jump in say 50ft/lb in torque will feel notably more punchy and 'Feel' allot quicker.

Horses for courses, and it's always good to talk to a mapper before the process. But to be fair to commercial mappers they won't want to max things out on clients cars as they won't want customers cars breaking too often as it could reflect on them and there reputation even though its probably nothing to do with the map, and more because a car is stretched to its limits and on borrowed time.
Old 16-09-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEvo5 View Post
It's not the BHP that will kill the box, its more than likely the torque. But you can map torque out to a degree which is likely how others have managed high BHP on a 5 speed along with a respectfull right foot and deep pockets in the knowledge if it kills the box it will just get another.

Remember having a classic with a 2.5 on a 5 speed, and as soon as it was mapped to just 1.1 bar and full torque it lunched the box the following day on the 3rd gear pull... But to be fair to Scott who mapped it, he marked my card and said you will strip third gear with the extra torque in the near future, but was a gamble I was prepared to take.

Best thing about a 2.5 is the torque and what makes for a quick road car so would personally prefer torque over BHP. 320 or 350 bhp you would struggle to notice a difference but a jump in say 50ft/lb in torque will feel notably more punchy and 'Feel' allot quicker.

Horses for courses, and it's always good to talk to a mapper before the process. But to be fair to commercial mappers they won't want to max things out on clients cars as they won't want customers cars breaking too often as it could reflect on them and there reputation even though its probably nothing to do with the map, and more because a car is stretched to its limits and on borrowed time.

LOL....If I remember correct when we mapped it (with a TD05-20G) the clutch started to slip. When you booked it in with Vince I said you better make it a double booking as the bite of the new clutch will rinse the gearbox.
It did.......In a 30mph limit. Are you sure you were obeying traffic laws ?

But this was an MY98 UK box which I think are the weakest. Later boxes were apparently stronger.
Old 17-09-2015, 04:54 PM
Bronze Member

Found the graphs for the 336bhp run for comparison. So this is what she was originally at. Since this run the follow has been done, and now she's at 324bhp:

Full service including spark plug change
3" exhaust fitted with japspeed sports cat down pipe
STi incooler fitted
Remap tweak

Old 17-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

I'd say Duncan has deliberately dropped boost after 3250rpm to protect the box from the added torque.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 17-09-2015, 09:01 PM
Bronze Member

Also found this whilst going through the car folder... Wasn't aware this had been done. Anyone else used these?

Old 17-09-2015, 09:09 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. Mine dropped 15BHP the last time I ran it on the rollers and I was running 0.1bar more.

On yours the Japspeed sports Cat may not be 'all that' when you consider their cost Vx a premium brand
Personally I would run without and if needed put the centre cat back in for MOT.
Do WRX Hawks have the cat in the up-pipe ?
Old 18-09-2015, 05:16 PM
Authorised Trader

no only newage 2.0 WRX 01-05 cars have the pre-cat in the uppipe

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!