South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 24-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Silver Member

Default Insane insurance quote

Thought i would have a look to see what insurance quotes i could get, and out of all the compare sites Money supermarket, go compare etc i only got one quote...

W......T......F I am with Keith Michaels any way but Jeeeeeeze...
I am 26, 27 in a couple months with 8 years no claims... All engine mods where declared on this, the thing is i was insured with Direct line 2 years ago for £1000 fully comp. (engine mods were not declared, i mean they were *cough cough* HOW is that a quote!!!!
Old 24-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Gold Member

that's brilliant!!!! What a bag of tits!!!How can they justify these things!!!
Old 24-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Bronze Member

Wow, thats CHEAP

Ex owner of - (Scoobie Less at present - still looking for one)

Subaru 1998 Classic UK Saloon (250 BHP) AWD Turbo and Subaru 1994 Classic UK Wagon (211 BHP) AWD Turbo
Old 24-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Bronze Member

Thats mental... your proberly find your limited to 3000 miles a year & only insured between the hours of 11 & 1500hrs lol...
Old 24-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by munk View Post
that's brilliant!!!! What a bag of tits!!!How can they justify these things!!!
Tell me about it, dont get me started..... Surely they should be arressted, thats daylight robbery..

Quote:
Originally Posted by centurion73 View Post
Wow, thats CHEAP
Cheap as chips a Mark... I could buy a couple scoobies for that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dogg View Post
Thats mental... your proberly find your limited to 3000 miles a year & only insured between the hours of 11 & 1500hrs lol...
Yeah prob if i read the small print it would say something radical like that, was going to go through with the quote as that insurance quote must come with a free car surley..
Old 24-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

Blimey, thats abit much lol
Old 24-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWRX View Post
Blimey, thats abit much lol
Just a bit, i nearly swallowed my own tounge when that quote appeared.
Old 25-05-2011, 12:36 AM
Bronze Member

A few years back I got a quote for a 328i sport I had at the time. £97,500 or something like that!!! I phoned up to see what the monthly payments would be for a laugh lol
Old 25-05-2011, 12:52 AM
Gold Member

you can see why people drive with out it

thats why its so dear,funny thing is you pay high and get sweet f a on a pay out when some mug hits you
Old 25-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Bronze Member

Most of the insurance schemes available through comparison sites are mainstream insurers and policies. They are looking for middle aged drivers with sensible 1.6 hatchbacks, low annual mileage, nice postcode etc.

When a company returns a quote like the one above they are essentially telling you that the combination of you and your car are not the type of risk they look to cover.

You always have to speak to a broker in order to be put on an appropriate scheme. If you have any vehicle that for it's class can be considered a performance vehicle then comparison sites are a waste of time. It is annoying though that when insurance is a legal requirement the companies can seemingly just pluck whatever number they like out of thin air.
Old 25-05-2011, 08:47 AM
SES Mercedes Division

Cant beat The Moley!!!!

On insurance comparison websites, i can get insured on an 800bhp SL65 AMG Black Series for just over £2000
Not sure how or where they get their prices from
Old 25-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtiteen View Post
A few years back I got a quote for a 328i sport I had at the time. £97,500 or something like that!!! I phoned up to see what the monthly payments would be for a laugh lol
97k!!!! W T F!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by didlo View Post
you can see why people drive with out it

thats why its so dear,funny thing is you pay high and get sweet f a on a pay out when some mug hits you
That is so true, and what wind's me up is i cant have my bike and car on the same policy, its not as if i can ride my bike and drive my car at the same time!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossmarts View Post
Most of the insurance schemes available through comparison sites are mainstream insurers and policies. They are looking for middle aged drivers with sensible 1.6 hatchbacks, low annual mileage, nice postcode etc.

When a company returns a quote like the one above they are essentially telling you that the combination of you and your car are not the type of risk they look to cover.

You always have to speak to a broker in order to be put on an appropriate scheme. If you have any vehicle that for it's class can be considered a performance vehicle then comparison sites are a waste of time. It is annoying though that when insurance is a legal requirement the companies can seemingly just pluck whatever number they like out of thin air.
I understand that completley and that does make sense, but i got a quote last year through these sights and got a quote for £1300 fully comp, (but without mods)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
Cant beat The Moley!!!!

On insurance comparison websites, i can get insured on an 800bhp SL65 AMG Black Series for just over £2000
Not sure how or where they get their prices from
So true Chunk... £900 with engine mods declared.... Well the renewal price came through any way so not sure if it was Gary that would sort that out..
Old 25-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Bronze Member

They have suggested that the sector has increased its prices by 40% but your difference between last year and this is more then 40%. Considering the government were looking at ways to suggest a fair policy for insurance this does not seem to be getting though.

I tried a test last night on a insurance compare site using my current details and a different version and nearly fell off my chair

Current policy - myself + 2 others to drive, 9 years NC, parked on drive - £342 FC
Test policy - myself only, 0 NC, parked on drive - £4935 FC

I m 38 for god sake .... how can they make a difference like that

Ex owner of - (Scoobie Less at present - still looking for one)

Subaru 1998 Classic UK Saloon (250 BHP) AWD Turbo and Subaru 1994 Classic UK Wagon (211 BHP) AWD Turbo
Old 25-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Silver Member

They are just con artists mate, unbelievable!!! Makes you feel sick really!!
Old 25-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Authorised Trader

Lol at the con artist comments.

If you could see what gets paid out, and exactly where is goes, you'd understand why rates have to go up.
Old 26-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Silver Member

That dig was not at you Gary, as your quote was no where near the quotes i have been getting. I understand that there are a lot of false claims etc and some of the pay outs are huge, but it just seems like the people who are not causing the issue are getting penalised... You guys at Ketih Michaels quoted me £850 if i pay in full or £930 if i pay in installments. The only other quote i got was £9.5k if i pay in full or £11k if i pay in installments... That is what shocked me..
Old 26-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
That dig was not at you Gary, as your quote was no where near the quotes i have been getting. I understand that there are a lot of false claims etc and some of the pay outs are huge, but it just seems like the people who are not causing the issue are getting penalised... You guys at Ketih Michaels quoted me £850 if i pay in full or £930 if i pay in installments. The only other quote i got was £9.5k if i pay in full or £11k if i pay in installments... That is what shocked me..
I didn't take it as a dig.... it just that these no-win-no-fee lot are killing the market, and insurers get the blame for it.

In 2010 there were 200,000 whiplash claim (so ignoring any other injury... just whiplash) with an average payout of £5000 (including legal fees), so the insurers paid out £2bil just on those claims.... which makes up 20% of everyones premium.

Thats why you just won't get insured these days if you live in an area of high PI claims (Birmingham, Bradford etc...)
Old 31-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

Good call Gary.
Tyler - you've changed.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moley_WRX View Post
I didn't take it as a dig.... it just that these no-win-no-fee lot are killing the market, and insurers get the blame for it.

In 2010 there were 200,000 whiplash claim (so ignoring any other injury... just whiplash) with an average payout of £5000 (including legal fees), so the insurers paid out £2bil just on those claims.... which makes up 20% of everyones premium.

Thats why you just won't get insured these days if you live in an area of high PI claims (Birmingham, Bradford etc...)
OUCH!!!! That is a hell of a lot of Fake claims.. I am guessing that CR then is a bad area for those PI claims then..

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobycoops View Post
Good call Gary.
Tyler - you've changed.
Sorry Coops, little confused... Changed what?? Insurance...?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Authorised Trader

CR isn't that bad. If you were in a London postcode you'd probably be paying double what you are now
Old 01-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moley_WRX View Post

On another insurance based note my dads business got sued by the post man as he tripped on the steps. The steps were completely acceptable by the way and not even a service to my dads business but solely to the flat above that someone else owns. Turns out the insurance company paid out £7,950 for 3 days off work and a lightly sprained ankle!