South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 28-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Bronze Member

Default Am i doing the right thing

Selling the scoob. Not sure if it was a rash quick decision.

I have 4 people lined up ready to buy car at asking price so guessing ive undervalued it.

spent 1.5 years getting engine into her and getting it mapped after loads of trouble. actuator,jumped cambelt,ecu issues and engine worries. after finally getting it where i wanted it i have only had 4 months use and now have another big bill.

I understand if you tune something you shorten the life but ive upgraded almost everything

I dont need to sell her for the money but i just wanted something fast but reliable. Ive had a look and there isnt anything really for 5k that takes my fancy.

i love my scoob but as some will know, its pushed me to my limits
Old 28-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Authorised Trader

That's the problem mate.... bang per buck you can't really beat them.
Old 28-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

Stop being a fanny, get it fixed and enjoy
Old 28-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Bronze Member

its pretty much fixed. Dr is just performing last tweeks

i cant afford to keep spending out 650 every 4 months lol

looked at early blob sti's. they have gone up in price.

Spot on Moley, i cant find another 400+ car for 5k without more issues
Old 28-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Gold Member

Like I said Dave, after all that time you spent on it, just dosent seem right to sell. You could have nothing go wrong for years now.

And how would you feel if you sell, and the buyer keeps putting photos up on SN, knowing that its all 100% now?
Old 28-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Bronze Member

its hard i know but you have spent so much time and money now just to let it go for peanuts...... any car will cost you money

keep it and enjoy it mate
Old 28-07-2010, 10:49 PM
Silver Member

I thought about selling mine a few months back,glad i kept it now as i could not find anything that would of replaced it.After it's little mishap i could not use it for 5 weeks and getting back in to it was a great feeling.Keep it
Old 28-07-2010, 11:28 PM
Bronze Member

i think that if you sell it dave you'll want to come back quicker than you think. let stew fix it, drive it for a month and if you still want to sell then do it.
Old 29-07-2010, 01:31 AM
Regular User

dont do it, keep it, i also spent a fortune on mine to get it all good again and that was three years ago now and it has been really reliable and all i have had to pay for in the past 3 yrs is basically the running costs which when you way it up is actaully cheaper than running an old banger that needs repairing every 5mins. dont give up on it, once its done you will be suprised at how many boxes these cars actually tick.
Old 29-07-2010, 07:15 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Agreed - keep it! I've been without mine since the Ring trip since the end of May almost there now with the rebuild and can't wait to get her back - spent obscene amounts of money getting it done when compared to the value of the car plus I know the G/box will go eventually costing me another 2K or so to get a 6speed but I'm keeping it!
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 29-07-2010, 08:47 AM
worzel

As said above really, you spend so much money getting them where you want them to be, in the process making them potentially more unreliable.

I wouldn't be without mine for love nor money to be honest, not because it owes me too much but because there is nothing out there (Evos the only exception) that gives you anywhere near the performance for the money.

As was said in this thread, it would be horrible to find out through scabbynet that the guy you sold it too has got an absolute minter. Completely sorted car and he can't believe how lucky he is to have it.

Stick with it mate
Old 29-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

I think your mad but then most poeple think i'm a sandwich short of a picnic on here
Old 29-07-2010, 09:15 AM
worzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. J. View Post
but then most poeple think i'm a sandwich short of a picnic on here
Plus the flask, the cutlery and a nice sponge cake.
Old 29-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Bronze Member

If you can afford to do so, then keep it

Its not the day to day running costs and servicing that is a big hit - its the spenditus we all suffer from. If you can promise to yourself that thats the end of the mods, then assuming the car comes back fixed and all niggles solved, spot on then its worth keeping IMO

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket and you want to treat the scoob, spend it on a trackday or driver training or a tour of Scotland or something

WINNER - Scooby Shootout 2011 Modified Handling class

WINNER - MLR Blyton Sprint 2012 Class S2

9th Overall - Ten Of The Best 2012 handling circuit 2 points for team Subaru 22B.com

With thanks to: ASTsuspensionUK.com JollyGreenMonster.co.uk ASPerformance.com AndyForrestPerformance.co.uk SD Motorsport
Old 29-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the input guys. So you want me to keep in then lol

i was sitting last night wondering what i can get.

evo-early model only prob bag of poo
civic type r - nice but need to ring the neck out of them
ford focus st - option tbh as i like them but slow
classic - very interested but i would want a built engine etc as i know the risks already so this pushes them out my price range
type r classic in original condition un touched. well out of price range for a minter it seems
Toyota MR2 Turbo - then laughed at myself due to size

Sell and get a 106 GTI just for track but then would still need a day to day car so would work out expensive

I cant say i'll never mod her tbh if i dont sell as ive got a picture in my head still and she's not quite there

I get her back this weekend, tbh the love will come back i know.

I might give her a 10 chance
Old 29-07-2010, 12:51 PM
SES Mercedes Division

Keep the scoob

You will miss it when it's gone
Old 29-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Gold Member

keep it!!!
Old 29-07-2010, 03:34 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Seeing as you have already spent your hard earned and you must know the car like the back of your hand then I would keep it if. Bang for ya buck nothing can beat it. But just because you have done lots of work, doesn't mean to say the spending will stop, and could very likely continue...

I've learnt the hard way and settled down over the years, but it took some real soul searching and a priority realilty check before I came to my senses. What really clinched it for me, was do you really need a car with anything over 280bhp and circa 1300kg on UK roads. ?. Its nice to have bonkers power but it comes at a cost, and in truth I could cover ground in my 300bhp classic just as fast as its predecessor 400+bhp blob, all I have to do is just push the car and my bottle a little bit more.

And even if your into track days - For me presonally I have had just as much fun if not more in a £1000 pug 306gti round a track. I might not put in the same lap time, but I will have had to work the car within and inch of its life, but I'm happy to do this in the knowledge if I break it so what.!.. If you push a highly tuned car within an inch of its life you will either crash it, or be constantly worried about breaking it, or actually break it..

Heavily modified cars are money pits, and they seem to be an endless chase for upgrades. As soon as one part is near right, then then another part say transmission gives way, and then breaks, then suspension and so on..... And they are like pringles...once you start you can't stop

A Stock STI whether its a classic, blob or bug is a very well balanced package and reliable, and apart from some subbtle mods should be left alone IMHO.
Old 29-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEvo5 View Post
I would keep it.
Yeah right!!!
Old 30-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Bronze Member

Got her back today from stew at tfs racing.

Fell in love with her again. Have to give her one more chance
Old 30-07-2010, 07:48 PM
Gold Member

Hoorah!! You know it makes sense
Old 31-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

glad you decided to keep it mate, it would of been a mistake to sell her, i keep kicking myself about selling mine if i had the chance to but it back i would!
Old 02-08-2010, 08:38 AM
worzel