South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 02-11-2012, 12:01 AM
Bronze Member

Default missfire

after leaving the scooby in the work shop for a month ( in the naughty corner ) im going to get on it this weekend so sorting exhast leak and shocks and also some 4 pots

ive noticed the car missfires heavy when going to boot it or even pull away normally it just pops and bangs 3 or 4 times then starts on the move , ive putt new plugs and maff and idel control valve in and still doing it .

any ideas on the issue do i know replace all 4 coil packs ( 1993 wrx )

thanks
Old 02-11-2012, 08:32 AM

sounds a bit like coil packs to me, though i'm no expert on scoobies, this is the symptons of them going on oth cars i've had.

is it running really rich driving normally/idle, that might point to a coolant sensor issue.

don't the earlier cars have a single coil pack unit?
Old 02-11-2012, 10:30 AM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Misfire from my experience on early scoobs is nearly always the coil packs. As a temporary measure try taking then out and check for cracks and wrap black insulation tape around the end bits.. This might solve or help the problem enough to confirm it may or may not be the coilpacks.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Bronze Member

i cant tell if its overfueling dosent smell to rich , ill try changing all 4 coil packs and see if it fixes the problem

v1-4 was single coil packs before going on to the 1 coil pack and leads
Old 02-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

sounds like cracked coil packs.
pull them off each plug and remove rubber boot.
the plastic tips are likley to be cracked or falling apart.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:06 PM

i guess they get a bit hot and plastic goes all brittle? my r32 had one snap off when i tried to get it out, it was a pain to get that out, can't imagine what it is like on a flat 4
Old 03-11-2012, 02:24 AM
Bronze Member

I'll get on it next week it seems a little better when it's warm warm been running for half hour or so but still dose it ? So moneys on coilpacks
Old 03-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Old 03-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Silver Member

if it is coil packs and they are the ones as the pic above, I got 4 spare, only did about 3-4000 miles on them. £40 all 4 if you can collect from SE london (About 10 min from croydon)
Old 03-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Bronze Member

andy i may have 4 from a friend down the road but if he lets me down wensday ill pm you strait away cheers
Old 03-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Silver Member

if tank doesnt need them andy i would much appreciate them as all 4 of my coil packs are cracked and currently running repaired i could drive up and collect in a couple of weeks
paul