South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member

Default Vulcan to the Sky Trust

As a member of the Trust, I thought I would promote what is going on with trying to keep the only airworthy Avro Vulcan, returned to flight in 07/08, in the air for 2009. If you like old aircraft, and have never seen this last remaining Vulcan "V bomber" in flight, then I can guarantee that this is a worthwhile cause deserving of your support.

This is the content of an email I am allowed to pass on. More info is available on http://www.vulcantothesky.org/

If you google "vulcan to the sky" there are some interesting links. Some of the youtube footage is fab - especially the prototype executing a roll at Farnborough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Supporter

In August 2006, Vulcan to the Sky launched a pledge campaign to save Vulcan XH558. The response to that campaign was staggering, with £1.3 million being pledged or donated in just three weeks.

As the direct consequence, Vulcan XH558 returned to flight in 2007 and was the unquestionable star of airshows last summer - entertaining a total audience estimated at 1.5 million people.

Unfortunately, Vulcan XH558 will now be grounded unless further funding of £1million is identified by end of January 2009.

Despite the current economic conditions, we are determined to keep XH558 flying. Confounding everyone's expectations, we succeeded in 2006, and with your help, we can succeed again.

The Vulcan '09 Pledge Campaign is aimed at raising the funds that XH558 needs, so please sign up and play your part in securing the future of the world's only flying Vulcan.

These pledges will allow the project to pay its monthly expenses, clear debt and provide a stable financial footing for the future. Importantly, it will also give us the breathing space to convert last summer's success into secure long-term commercial funding.

Meanwhile, if you are able to make a cash donation, it will help to secure the project's short-term future.

If each of the 9000 people being sent this email were to pledge just £10 per month then our target would be met. This is equivalent to less than one small bar of chocolate a day - or less than one pint of beer a week - a small sacrifice compared to the pleasure of seeing XH558 flying through 2009!!

Your pledge will only be called upon when the £1million target is in sight.

Please now click here to make your pledge.

Even if you are unable to make a pledge at the moment, please help support XH558 by signing the "Number10" Petition by clicking http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/vulcan-XH558/

Please forward this email on to any of your family, friends and colleagues who might be willing to help.

On behalf of all XH558's supporters, our sincere & heartfelt thanks for helping to keep her flying through 2009.

Robert Pleming
Chief Executive
Vulcan to the Sky Trust
Old 05-02-2009, 02:14 PM
worzel

Default Re: Vulcan to the Sky Trust

Done old fruit!
Old 05-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Bronze Member

Location: Commuting somewhere between West Sussex and New Malden...

Already a fellow Member
Old 05-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

Good on ya Rob!!

THought Mr Worzel might be quick off the mark!! He didn't disappoint!

It certainly stirred my blood watching some of those clips!!!
Old 05-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Crowman

Keith
I remember seeing this, i beleive from memory,it was west malling air show, will never forget the feeling in my stomach as it did a slow pass, simply unreal.
So loud , Made your stomach move. Fantastic.
Pledge done

Great post Keith
Old 05-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Done.... IMHO it should be able to join the BBMF (although not really Battle Of Britain, but Battle of Falklands).

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/Scott.T/100_4224.jpg[/img]
Old 06-02-2009, 08:29 AM
worzel

What about an SES day up there?
Old 06-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Regular User

ive just signed also as im a big aircraft fanatic myself
Old 06-02-2009, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

Well done Gals and Guys!

Nice pic Scott (apart from the cap)!

Have tried to organise a photo shoot with the Vulcan and Wagon Squadron, but there are all sorts of Health & Safety issues with this.

However, they do tours of the hanger at weekends, and we could certainly book one up. They like a donation of (currently) £5 per person for this. I will organise one if there is enough interest. Bruntingthorpe is where the Vulcan rests.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Bronze Member

Keith, might be worth reminding them politely of the sponsorship provided by Subaru... to prove that the sponsorship DOES attract extra attention

Might also be worth getting an article in True Grip which means more exposure for VTS
Old 06-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member

Good points Rob!!

Subaru have provided Legacys and Tribecas as support vehicles, and they have an add at the top of the VTOC home webpage!!!

An article for True Grip? Would be nice to take some pics with the Vulcan to put in it!!!
Old 06-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Bronze Member

See if we can't get some interest from Surrey, Sussex and Kent, would make more of a splash for True Grip, plus it would then actively feature Southeast Scoobies by definition
Old 06-02-2009, 03:00 PM
worzel

I reckon this would be a great idea and would be happy to donate again.

Seeing as you guys are involved, how about a call to them to see what we could do? I reckon we could get a good day out up there and the coverage in "True Grip" would be good for all parties.

I would go without a shadow of a doubt
Old 06-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member

As I know the area well and have been there on car meets, and as Shaz says we are very big military plane fans and go to Fairford every year, and RAF Lakenheath about 5 times a year to see the F15 eagles take off and land, we are most definately up for this and we are going to donate now as well.

Great cause this one.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBARMAN
Well done Gals and Guys!

Nice pic Scott (apart from the cap)!
LOL, just spotted that...I didn't buy it for him....it was his mum...Honest !!!!!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:29 PM

Defo interested in seeing the Vulcan,
Saw the one in my pic last year at Newark Air Museum and also the gate guard at Waddington.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Bronze Member

Just to resurrect this thread...

Some of you may have seen on the news last night that the Vulcan may be grounded for good unless they can raise £1 million for the running costs this year.

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n22/RobVXD/Vulc1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n22/RobVXD/Vulc2.jpg[/img]

So far, they have had pledges totalling £640,011 and have 3 Days, 08:12:42 to reach the million.

If you can afford to make a pledge, no matter how small please do so.

Let's keep this part of Britains heritage British!

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/Pledge2.asp
Old 04-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member

I do hope someone steps in like they did last time!!

Some great ideas to promote this - let's hope it's not too late.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Bronze Member

Update...

02 Days, 06:45:28 to go and they have pledges totalling £745,454

[cross fingers] Could do it... they are getting £100,000 a day[/cross fingers]
Old 04-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Platinum Member

This would be most fantastic - just pledged some more!!!!!
Old 04-03-2009, 03:58 PM
worzel

I'm sure it will get there at this rate.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Crowman

Has anyone approached Mr R Bransom as he is loaded and has a very big love of aircraft
Old 05-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member

I wonder if he would join the Squadron?
Old 05-03-2009, 09:10 PM

78K to go......
Old 05-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member

I hope they ( or Richard Branson) are holding a bit back for the last minute..............
Old 06-03-2009, 08:02 AM
worzel

It wouldn't be British to get there easily!

They will squeek in there at the last minute, then it's all back to Martyn "The Chap - Chappers" Smythes' hut for Ginger beer and a jolly sing song!

Hurrah!!!!
Old 06-03-2009, 02:42 PM
Bronze Member

Vulcan now truly "The People's Aircraft"

Thousands of pledges provide a future for the Vulcan

One month ago, the Vulcan to the Sky Trust (VTST) had to announce that the prospects of seeing Vulcan XH558, the world's only flying Vulcan, ever flying again were looking very poor as the result of the lack of cash, and that notices had had to be given to its employees that their jobs would end on Friday 6th March

With the launch of a Pledge Campaign to raise £1million, VTST based its future on the public's affection for the Vulcan and their desire to see it fly.

As the deadline of the end of today approaches, the Pledge Campaign has this morning (11.00am) passed £956,835, pledged by over 9,821 supporters, and so has excellent prospects of passing its goal of £1million imminently.

This is the third time in seven years that the future of the Vulcan in flight has been saved by the support of thousands of members of the public, making XH558 "The People's Aircraft". Never has one historic aircraft owed so much to so many!

Sponsors provide breathing space

On their own, pledges can't solve the Trust's immediate cash problem, because they each need now to be converted into cash donations. The Trust is therefore very grateful to its sponsors, Aerobytes Ltd and Judd Power, who have today committed sufficient cash to keep the Trust going for another month, allowing time for the pledges to be redeemed.

As the result, VTST is delighted to announce that it is able to continue its activities on a more secure financial footing, and that the prospects of seeing the Vulcan fly in 2009 are now good.

Supporters led the way forward

For the past month, supporters of the Vulcan have been tireless in their fundraising activities, ranging from the cross-country Vulcan Scramble, to "Pledgathon" events across the UK. VTST is enormously grateful to all the members of the Vulcan to the Sky Club for their help.

Inspiring the Young

There are well over 10 million young people who have never seen the Vulcan in flight. Following the success of the Pledge Campaign, these youngsters now have an opportunity to experience this inspirational "once seen, never forgotten" sight.

Because we cannot assume that all the pledges will be honoured, we are asking the the public to continue to pledge financial support, either through our website http://www.vulcantothesky.org or by phone to our office on 0116 247 8145. We have demonstrated that even the smallest pledge helps, because it is people in their thousands who make the difference.

Robert Pleming
6th March 2009

[img]http://www.surreyscoobies.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/twocents.gif[/img] [img]http://www.surreyscoobies.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/ithankyou.gif[/img] [img]http://www.surreyscoobies.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/beers.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2009, 05:10 PM
worzel

Brilliant!

I will raise a cold and frothy one tonight.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member

If you have never seen this plane fly then you should, it makes an awesome noise. Respect goes out to all the supporters and donators who will without a shadow of a doubt keep this beast flying.

Looking forward to seeing it at Fairford this year, as well as the new raptors
Old 06-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Crowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel
It wouldn't be British to get there easily!

They will squeek in there at the last minute, then it's all back to Martyn "The Chap - Chappers" Smythes' hut for Ginger beer and a jolly sing song!

Hurrah!!!!
Hush!
Everyone will want to get in the back door of my Hut!!
Old 07-03-2009, 09:28 AM
worzel

Everyones been in your back door
Old 07-03-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666subaru
If you have never seen this plane fly then you should, it makes an awesome noise. Respect goes out to all the supporters and donators who will without a shadow of a doubt keep this beast flying.

Looking forward to seeing it at Fairford this year, as well as the new raptors
Saw it off Hastings back in the days when the local carnivals had money for such things. Infact I think the same year had a nimrod display.

Can't remember when I last saw the Vulcan flying, maybe way back then.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Crowman

I saw it at west malling air show, was the last one it did i believe.
Had no idea what it was until it shook the insides of my stomach
Old 08-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

HURRAH!

Better get me money out now...................................
Old 17-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

QUOTE:

The total pledged is £1,007,845 - a stunning achievement for a non-humanitarian cause.

END QUOTE:

HURRAH!