South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 13-10-2011, 06:54 AM
Bronze Member

Default Bounce to many

Just noticed yesterday that my scion has one bounce to many on the rear. So I'm guessing it time to replace the rear shocks. Spoke to one company and they said I'll be looking at £500 to supply and fit standard shocks! Is this right? See a bit much to me. I get no noises from it yet and I'm not exactly hopping round the corners, so whilst I'm getting underneath her thinking I might aswell get her lowered? Anyone recommend a brand or kit I could get and how low to go. Don't want to go too low just enough to help with handling. Also as it always is money! If I get it now it'll have to be sort of cheap. Or if I can wait then I'll have a lil more. Any feed back would be a massive help as I have know Idea in this area 
Old 13-10-2011, 07:56 AM
Silver Member

I got some BC racing coilovers a few monts back. Usualy £700, were on offer at £650 (For my classic). I asked at the time and a lot of people on here seem to use BC.

Coilovers are the way to go if you want to lower the car IMO. as for how much, depends on how many speedbumps you're gonna go over.

Whatever you decide on, I would get it done sooner rather than later. It may not be hopping round the corners yet, but a few big bumps in the road will make you cringe and start worrying about the bushes on the wheel with the bad shock. Your breaking is also reduced with a bad shock, even more so in the wet so take it easy.
Old 13-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-m View Post
Coilovers are the way to go if you want to lower the car IMO. as for how much, depends on how many speedbumps you're gonna go over.
Depends what you want from the car. Most people go coilovers but I've had someone with BC's on their newage say they can't get down a country road as quick as mine as the suspension is a lot less compliant.

I've got KYB ultra SR shocks and Prodrive springs which lower about 25mm i think (£80/corner for shocks, £130 for set of springs) then full geo setup. Made the change as rear shocks were leaking and knackered. Massively better than standard suspension, and still works on track happily enough.

Not slating coilovers, and they will generally be better on track, but most of my miles are on country roads. A lot of people will argue a decent shock/spring combination can be a better choice, it all depends on how you use the car
Old 13-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Bronze Member

All I'm after is a bit more firmness and better cornering. I have got to bear in mind speed bumps because there's a few on the way to work and I'm pretty close to the country lanes. Can I get a complete kit like shocks and springs?
Old 13-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkey85 View Post
All I'm after is a bit more firmness and better cornering. I have got to bear in mind speed bumps because there's a few on the way to work and I'm pretty close to the country lanes. Can I get a complete kit like shocks and springs?
Yes, BC's, Teins, most coilovers come as kits. my BC's were complete set of shocks and springs, already assembled. As the hight is adjustable, speedbumps shouldnt be a problem. I was already clipping speedbumps with my exhaust, so I set my height the same as my old shocks, then took em up another 10mm. found they still clipped so just took em up another 10mm & now I dont touch the speedbumps. you can also adjust the dampening force on most coilovers, so you can get the cornering how you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
....Not slating coilovers, and they will generally be better on track, but most of my miles are on country roads. A lot of people will argue a decent shock/spring combination can be a better choice, it all depends on how you use the car ...
Agree with what steve said here, but as he said it comes down to how you use the car. Also IMO, how you prefer the car to be. Some like it harder than others. Might be an idea if you can jump in the passenger seat of some cars with different setups at a scooby meet some time to see how they feel on your ars3 first!
Old 13-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Platinum Member

That could just be the driver tho Steve

Look at Spunky with a standard car.... Some of us want to get old lol
Old 13-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger View Post
That could just be the driver tho Steve

Look at Spunky with a standard car.... Some of us want to get old lol
True, although it didn't last too long with kind of treatment!