South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Showroom > Members Car Profiles

Members Car Profiles Show & Tell Your Pride & Joy

Old 12-10-2011, 07:25 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Default My Crystal Grey Hawk STI

Finally took the plung got myself a very clean Hawk STI, in my preferred choice of colour with some original PFF7’s which compliment the car well. It was a tough decision as the classic I had was a great car for what it cost and sensible money said keep the classic, but having recently drove Scott’s it just felt like the logical and right upgrade from what I have.

The 6 speed is taking some getting used to and just don’t seem to find the right gear/speed at the moment, and TBH I don’t really notice the extra proportions or extra weight gain that much at all. It still feels a very light and nimble car compared to my recent german stuff which is a good thing.

The extra space in the rear and 3x3 points are welcome and make it a better 2nd family motor for me. Although the interior has better styling and looks, its no better and on par as a classic IMO in terms of build quality and materials used and preffered the support the classic seats gave. But it’s definitely a nicer place to be though.

The thing I notice instantly is how planted the car feels as standard, with handling and breaks being vastly improved over my UK classic and on a different league.

The torque and spool of the turbo is fantastic as a road car, but it needs more punch low down which can be forced if you plant your foot. The power is very throttle position dependent, Which probably makes for better fine throttle control or track driving, but it doesn’t put a smile on your face as when the turbo thumps in quick and controlled more by backing off throttle rather than forcing the thump with increased throttle. Basically with the 6 speed as well, it makes for a fairly different driving experience that I getting used to.

I need to investigate whether this has had a remap at some point, but if it hasn’t it feels suprsingly urgent for a standard car and pull very hard up the rev range. Still want more though

Plans for car are the obligatory Front splitter, and already have one on order. Then a decat, then sweet talk Scott for a phase 1 remap. Then a full service and cambelt change.

Then later on, some prodrive springs, and map the car to its max on standard VF43, injectors, top mount and panel filter.

Then STOP with the modifications and just enjoy, pamper, clean it, service it and drive it....

Quick camera picture, but will soon get a full detail and splitter fitted.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Nige

Nice one Rob a good car.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Bronze Member

Very nice mate, but will u have it long enough for them mods.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:40 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Very nice rob. As you said the upside is the extra torque, but I do miss the way all the power arrives at once in the 2.0. Having said that it makes for a very quick road car and you dont have to stir the gears for performance.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris wrx View Post
Very nice mate, but will u have it long enough for them mods.
You opening the betting then Chris? Nice car rob....keep it!
Old 12-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

Very nice looking scoob you have there
Old 12-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Looking good Rob, certainly looks a different colour in that photo compared to the sales shots. I did think it must be Crystal rather then Urban Grey based on the age of it, but the sales shot made it look darker.

I agree totally with what you say above. Handling alot better then a Classic and the DBW (Drive By wire) takes some getting used too, hence why I have changed my DBW map to more emulate regular cable control. Also given it more of a mid-range kick, which you felt on Sunday

While your doing the splitter get those Pink STi badges off the Fog Covers.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

looks very nice Rob

lets hope you keep it past Halloween!
Old 12-10-2011, 11:57 PM
Rest in peace Simon.

nice Rob!

www.JollyGreenMonster.co.uk

Please follow of Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jolly-...26125404073166
Old 13-10-2011, 12:52 AM
Gold Member

nice 1 rob,keep and enjoy
Old 13-10-2011, 01:55 AM
Crowman

Very Nice Rob
Old 13-10-2011, 06:33 AM
Gold Member

Very nice!
Old 13-10-2011, 07:08 AM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

nice scoob
Old 13-10-2011, 07:36 AM
Gold Member

Looks another cracking car you have brought rob!!!
Old 13-10-2011, 08:17 AM
Silver Member

Very nice
Old 13-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Platinum Member

Very nice indeed
Old 13-10-2011, 04:45 PM

Thanks all - I ideally wanted a Fugly (Hatch), but just couldn't justify the extra £ to myself and always knew a Hawk wouldn't dissapoint.

I need to put my stamp on it, and get busy with the cleaning products. But all part of the fun of new ownership.

I sold my classic to a collegue at work, so its a little hard looking at that each day. But this might just be a keeper
Old 13-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEvo5 View Post
But this might just be a keeper
You said that about the Evo.

And the M3.

And the......
Old 19-10-2011, 08:48 AM
worzel

Very nice Rob.

I never saw this thread before now, I noticed the car on Sunday but didn't realise it was yours.
Old 19-10-2011, 07:37 PM

Now with obligatory splitter, which makes such a difference and drops the car by and inch even though its hasn't and its still on STI springs.

Full exhaust fitted now.

And a BIG thanks to Scott.t for dropping in, checking and tweaking his stage1 open source map taking advantage of what he has learnt on this own car, which has absolutely transformed the car. Spool is virtually instant, and just makes for such a potent road car. Its so nice, responsive, and torquey to drive I don't even find myself wanting more power..... Really does make for a very capable road car.

Old 19-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Bronze Member

how that really is nice!
Old 19-10-2011, 09:17 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Nice one rob, looks really nice with the splitter. Glad to hear you sorted the map too. Sounds like it has made the difference you hoped it would.
Old 21-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Bronze Member

Default hawk remap

Very nice model you have there,what power is it running now?I drive an RB & felt the 315bhp was enough for me.Ps hope to see more of everyone next year @ the meets.
Old 21-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Silver Member

nice add on rob looks great
Old 21-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scixer6r View Post
I drive an RB & felt the 315bhp was enough for me.Ps hope to see more of everyone next year @ the meets.
That would be good
Old 21-10-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scixer6r View Post
Very nice model you have there,what power is it running now?I drive an RB & felt the 315bhp was enough for me.Ps hope to see more of everyone next year @ the meets.
Peak power is probably close to stock at around 320bhp - bum dyno sais 330ish, but lots of torque possibly 360-380ft/lb. But the power delivery and spool now is much,much sooner and more urgent.

BHP is nice for quarter mile or track work, but as a road I would happily sacrifice some bhp for more torque and turbo spool.

The car has way more low down grunt than a VW TD150 pd Golf.

I'm v.happy with it as is, but I can't see me ever wanting to go anymore than just pushing the stock injectors, turbo, cooling and block to the max which might get it close to 400bhp/400ft/lb.

Be good to catch up at one of the meets.

Cheers