South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 29-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Silver Member

Default Gearbox's question

Sorry if this has been asked already i have searched but could not find any thing..
I am looking at gearboxes and was wondering if the STI box's are stronger then the UK Box's. Im not talking about the 6 speed ones as i can not afford 2.5k+ for the setup.
What is the gearing like, are they quicker ratios and do i have to have a matching Diff, if i dont will it cause issues with the diff or gearbox.
I am looking a a V5 STI box on scoobynet with dccd alone for £600
And if i fit a dccd do i just need the module and switch to get it to work..
Failing all this would it be possible/worth rebuilding my gearbox with stronger components
Old 29-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Silver Member

Dunno which is stronger TBH but for that box, you can either try and source an original dccd wiring loom, relays, switches, display, and control module, or you can get an aftermarket setup such as Neetronics or DCCD Pro. The latter is the cheaper and better option for a DCCD retrofit rather than sourcing original parts (Its on my to-do list)
I think someone on here was selling a Neetronics for £150 which is a bloody bargain !

If you fit the box with no controller, you will just end up with about 65% of the power going to the back so it doesnt all have to be done at once. You will be putting more stress on your rear diff and drive shafts though so if any are near failure but not showing signs of failure just yet, they may let go quicker with the extra power they are handling.

The rear diff just has to be the same ratio so it doesnt matter if you dont get one with the box, as long as you have the same ratio on your current rear diff, or source another

As for gear ratio's. maybe compare your existing and new box codes on the SPDA transmission chart
Old 29-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Silver Member

Nice one andy that link is perfect, bit annoyed that it has no info on the uk boxes...

As for the percentage isnt as standard all scoobs are set to 60/40 any way, or did i dream that somewhere..
Old 29-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Silver Member

it does have some info on UK boxes. scroll down to the bottom of the 5MT pull clutch section. some box codes are missing ratio info but some is there for UK/Euro boxes.

not sure, but I always thought non DCCD boxes were 50/50 split front & rear. I do notice the back is a lot more lively on my current scoob (DCCD open so 35/65 split) compared to my old import WRX which didnt have a DCCD box
Old 29-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Silver Member

I will have a proper read later...

As for the percentage i am not sure, was told a while back by someone, bit not sure if it was true or not, thought the only Jap car that was 50/50 was a Nissan Pulsa Gtir...

Suppose what would be good would be for someone to take me out in there STI with out dccd..
Old 29-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Silver Member

I wonder if it's something that would show up on a rolling road. if so, a mapper on here might know what the standard power split front/rear is.
Old 29-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Silver Member

Hmmm that is a good point may be worth asking..
Old 29-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I will have a proper read later...

As for the percentage i am not sure, was told a while back by someone, bit not sure if it was true or not, thought the only Jap car that was 50/50 was a Nissan Pulsa Gtir...

Suppose what would be good would be for someone to take me out in there STI with out dccd..
would take you out in mine mate but still off the road what i would say is that mine with standerd ish power will spin its rear wheels if stamped hard enough but the fronts i cant get to spin even in the wet i have allways belived it was a 45/55 split but i could be wrong
Old 29-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1977 View Post
would take you out in mine mate but still off the road what i would say is that mine with standerd ish power will spin its rear wheels if stamped hard enough but the fronts i cant get to spin even in the wet i have allways belived it was a 45/55 split but i could be wrong
Hello stranger, where you been.. lol... Why is yours off the road?? Hurry up and put it back on road so you can take me for a spin.. lol We need to get someone to clarify..
Old 30-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Authorised Trader

the boxes (age for age) are all basically the same strength..............

as for gearing if you were to fit a JDM box of any flavour you would require the matching rear diff as the ratios/drop gears are totally different

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 30-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Regular User

Last edited by 53WRX; 01-12-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asperformance View Post
the boxes (age for age) are all basically the same strength..............

as for gearing if you were to fit a JDM box of any flavour you would require the matching rear diff as the ratios/drop gears are totally different
Thanks buddy, but the ratios are different arn't they...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53WRX View Post
6 Speeds are cheap atm. Picked up my complete conversion for £1475. Wont be more than a couple of hundred to fit Long gone are the days of £2.5k conversions IMHO
I would be fitting the Box myself buddy and i still not sure on spending 1400 on a gearbox at the moment...