South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > News, Info, Rules and introductions > New Members (first thread here please)

New Members (first thread here please) New members introduce yourself to our existing members here.

Old 28-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Regular User

Default New Member - Herts - Classic WRX

Hi all,

Thought i would get myself on here after being on scoobynet for the last couple of months.

Driving history...after a lovely c-reg astra as my first car i started moving up in the world with a Prelude...Concept Colour Golf GTI, Scooby Wagon, TT Supra, R33 GTST and now a classic WRX.

My scoob used to be owned by a company called RDS Auto Clinic based in milton keynes and was used as a demo car however, the company went into liquidation some time ago and so I struggled to piece together the history of my car. It wasnt helped by the previous owner fobbing me off with a Dyno graph and all reciepted work for a different car altogther! This sort of summed up the poor state the car had gotten into!

Anyways, this came to me as a bit of project, she hadn't been looked after at all...The air intake hose had a gaping big split at either end of it, power steering pump was knackered and spewing fluid everywhere...the rear spats hadnt been painted....there was a list as long as my arm of niggly little things that needed sorting out and so I carefully drove it back home after part exchanging it for my R33 GTST (which are horrible cars imo - sorry if any of you have one)

It was perfect for me...I wanted something to work on that could still be used regularly and so first off, replace most of the vacuum hoses in the engine bay, change all of the fluids, new air intake, new belts, new knock sensor, new MAF, replaced most of the older speakers, took all of the intercooler pipes off and re attached these, changed the spark plugs, coil packs pretty much anything and everything that I could possible do without the use of a workshop. Fun fun fun...so this was approx 6 weeks ago and now I am very grateful for having the xmas break as a new radiator is about to go on the car.

I dont have a photobucket account but will sort one out so I can post a few pics of the car but this is the old RDS Auto Clinic website that has some pics of the car on it - it looked pretty much like this when I got the car. http://www.rdsautoclinic.co.uk/

If anyone has any info on the car or this company I would be really grateful for any info I can get.

So I have had it up on a ramp, pulled all of the skirts and the splitter off...And what I now know: we have a turbo back exhaust with 5inch outlet (unknown make at this time,) 6k ECU (I have done some digging which suggest this is a similar set up to an STI PPP Ecu - it also suggests this is not a good setup however I have now got the car running well so I intend to see how this runs for now) TD05 turbo, FMIC, HKS SSQV DV (which I am about to change to the recirc version with the adaptor)

Car also had a manual boost controller which has come off straight away - I have a Blitz Boost Controller on there but have not connected it as I understand it would be better to change the boost via a map rather than an EBC so I will see what happens about this.

Bonus' well it had a full sound system in it that wasnt connected up so I plaed around with the stereo and got the full thing set up and all I needed was a sub which I just so happened to have lying around in the loft so that went in and although Im not a loud music fan it sounds pretty good.

Stuff waiting at home to go on, new side skirts, new front splitter, rear spats and radiator oh and a big STI rear spoiler....respray in white and an Apexi Commander and hopefully i'll have the car rocking and rolling by the spring/summer!!

Hope you guys n gals like it....would welcome comments and advice
Cheers
Chris
Old 28-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member

Hello and :wwelcome:
Old 28-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Platinum Member

Hello and Welcome Chris
Old 28-12-2011, 01:41 PM
worzel

Hi and welcome to SES mate!

Great first post

:wwelcome::wwelcome:
Old 28-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Regular User

thanks chaps - are they your cars in the signature? I really like the newer models and they both look lovely!!
Eventually I'll chop this one in and hopefully get a similar model...After making my way through several jap cars I think I have found my ideal car in a scooby but I do miss some of the modern touches of the newer cars!
Old 28-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Platinum Member

Yep that's both of our cars.. There both in the project section
Old 28-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member

Howdy do and :wwelcome:
Old 28-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Gold Member

Hello and Welcome
Old 28-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Silver Member

Smile

Hello to SES
Old 28-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Bronze Member

Hi from another Herts member, where abouts in herts are you from?
Old 28-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

HELLO AND
Old 28-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

To SES.

Good introduction Chris.
Old 28-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Crowman

Hi and welcome to SES
Great introduction

Old 28-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

Hi Chris and welcome to SES :wwelcome:
Old 28-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Regular User

Hi fellow noob
Old 29-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Regular User

Haha...i leave this for one evening and everyone has gone mad for welcoming - thats what I like to see - thanks everyone and happy xmas and new yr!

@Mr Windscreen - I live over in redbourn (Nr Harpenden & Hemel) how about you buddy?
Old 29-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Regular User

Welcome!
Old 29-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Silver Member

hello and welcome to S.E.S
Old 29-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Bronze Member

Welcome to Ses.

Quality first post
Old 29-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Regular User

I fancy sharing a funny story...When I bought the scoob i bought it home and about a week later I hit a badger (this isnt the funny bit) the bloody thing took out half my front splitter, broke my sidelight and stole my licence plate from me too...no problem , i thghout as I was planning on doing some bodywork anyway, so I ordered a new plate, lights and some body kit bits.

So anyway one evening about 2 weeks ago I test fitted the front and rear splitter (I quite often will work on the car in the evenings as my 2yr old daughter runs me ragged during the day but on this occassion I test fitted the kit and forgot to take it back off again...the front and rear splitters were sort of wedged on and held in place with masking tape.

So I stroll out the following morning in a bit of a daze (not a morning person at all!) got in my car and drove it to work...didnt think anything about the kit hanging precariously from my car. When I got to work the side skirts were still on (just) the front splitter was on still (just) however the rear splitter was gone....

So for the next couple of days I checked my route to and from work to see if it had been left somewhere....it was nowhere to be seen. HOWEVER on this fine morning I drove to work and about 2 miles from my work something caught my eye as I drove past...I parked up and low and behold on the side of the road, resting against someones back fence was my rear splitter - result! Its still in pretty good shape and after a quick sanding and respray it'll be back to its self!!

Lol - thats cheered me up on a day that I didnt really fancy coming into work at all!

Bit random but thought I would share that with you all!
Old 29-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Nige

Hello & welcome matey.. Sounds like you have a bit of a project yourself. Let us know how you get on & a few pics before & after are always welcome.:wwelcome:
Old 29-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Regular User

Am setting up a photobucket account as we speak...I have been taking photo's throughout so as soon as I can I'll get some piccies up....we all love a picture or two!
Old 30-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member

Hello welcome to ses
Old 30-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermann View Post
Haha...i leave this for one evening and everyone has gone mad for welcoming - thats what I like to see - thanks everyone and happy xmas and new yr!

@Mr Windscreen - I live over in redbourn (Nr Harpenden & Hemel) how about you buddy?

In stevenage mate, white jdm bugeye
Old 30-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

to ses mate

lee
Old 30-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Gold Member

glad to here of someone else who has " morning moments"
Old 30-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Silver Member

Welcome to the madhouse
Old 03-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Regular User

Happy new year everyone!

I'm quite proud to say my Xmas Mini Rebuild complete....well I say rebuild - New power steering pump, new rad...most things taken apart and put back together again properly...new fluids/sparks/brakes, new MAF & knock sensor (no more code 22 fault! wahey) The bodykit is half on....bolted on this time lol (just the side skirts to do)

The car looks a bit silly at the mo as I am currently looking to book a week off over the next month or two to do the respray (myself) and so the car is still silver but the front and rear splitters are primed in white....I don't mind though - to most people i'm sure it looks like a work in progress daily drive...which is well, exactly what it is.

I'm also really happy to report that I have the 6K (PPP) ECU running pretty much spot on as I have heard of so many issues trying to get it running ok....we'll see how long this lasts and in the meantime I'm saving for an Apexi Commander!

Like all things, it didn't all go to plan...after I had finished all of the engine work on the car I took it out for a spin that evening....nervous that I had done everything correctly, the ECU had been reset and off I went for a drive. Off boost it was absolutely fine and so once it had warmed up I gave it some juice....YES - boosted PERFECTLY in second and third, I was soooo happy so I turned around in the road and came round for another go....second gear - fine, third gear....fine....fine....POP, loss of boost....complete disapointment...roll the car to the side of the road....walk back to my house (only down the road fortunately) Go to bed with a big glass of rum and the stinking hump, trying to think what on earth had happened! Following morning, new ideas, newly motivated, slight hangover (i'm not a big drinker so a glass of wine usually puts me out of action for about 2 days!) Went outside and cracked open the bonnet....to my pleasure I see that the intercooler pipe had popped off under boost...all of about 3 mins with a screwdriver and a blister on the palm of my hand having done them up as tightly as possible and off I went again....this time I went for a 40mile drive and every second of it was perfect! We have a working car...finally!

I have taken lots of pics (including a fantastic one of my bodykit, spoiler, new & old power steering pump, new & old radiators with the fans all sprawled out on my mum's lounge floor (work was carried out on her driveway) totally dominating all of the xmas pressies that were under the tree!) will follow soon just as soon as I get a free mo to sort out uploading them!!

Best Wishes to you all
C
Old 06-01-2012, 11:14 AM
Regular User

Some pics ..(finally)

How she arrived:

What she looks like today (bit of a mess but getting there)

Old 06-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Regular User

Big front brakes