South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:43 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Default ECU on a 99 Legacy B4 RSK

Tempted with a legacy on the basis, it still a subaru at heart with more or less same mechanics, engine, transmission etc. But more understated which I like, and more comfortable and more room to seat 3 in the rear.

But anyone know if an Apexi from a 3 plug MY99 Scoob would fit/work on one of these ?.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

Yep

If your lucky though, the 99ecu in the B4 should be mapable anyway...ecutek....

I'm sure Simon will know for definate
Old 06-02-2012, 04:06 PM

Cool - I already have an Apexi 3 plug in my MY99 classic wagon. If I went for one I would be looking to put my standard ECU back in my wagon, and then put the Apexi in the legacy and re-map so this could potentially be a cheap sideways/upgrade for me and something a little different from the norm.

I guess I should also be asking, is there anything I should be looking out for on a legacy of this model ?. Anyone know what turbo and injectors they run as standard, ?. Is the lump a STI lump ?.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

VF33 and VF32 Turbos

Have a look about on www.UKLegacy.com, great bunch of chaps over there and a great source of info
Old 07-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Authorised Trader

lumps are specifically different to a WRX/STi lump (main one being the twin turbo's and associated ancillaries that go with it) - personally would suggets driving one first as they are an acquired taste the way the boost comes in (or doesn't if your stuck in the VOD!!)

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 07-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Rest in peace Simon.

Apexi no work but standard ecu can be mapped.

Did one just last week

Very small gain though to be honest, the turbos are quite small

Simon

www.JollyGreenMonster.co.uk

Please follow of Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jolly-...26125404073166
Old 08-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
Yep

If your lucky though, the 99ecu in the B4 should be mapable anyway...ecutek....

I'm sure Simon will know for definate
Sorry Rob, appears its not as easy as plug'n'play there are B4's running Apexi and other ECU's but have had lots of other bits done to make work Its the dual turbo configuration thats the problem....

Sorry, thought it was straight forward myself

I know I spoke to Simon about the ecu in the Legacy and the 98 / 99 cars are on a crossover and some will be mappable and some won't, although I'm sure you can get a piggy back for the early ones (Scott's probably worth talking to)

VOD is not as bad in the later cars and is less noticable in the auto's, theres a few threads about the cheap upgrades you can do to reduce the effect, again UKLegacy would be the place to look.

They really are great cars and whilst they may not be quite up there with an impreza for the short bursts about town, get one on some dual carriageway / motorway and they come into there own

I loved my one
Old 08-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Silver Member

what does "VOD" mean ?
Old 08-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

Valley of Death.....

Its the area between primary and secondary stages of the turbos.....

First turbo despools to match the secondary turbo, then they both come on together..... theres a nice 'kick' when you experience both turbos coming in together, under normal driving but! when your pushing a bit to overtake, the VOD is normally just at the point your going to change gear!!! = loss of boost you then wait until it all comes back in, normally with a bit of a bang

You don't get it as fierce in the autos but it can be a pain in the manuals...
Old 08-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member

I'm loving the legacy for nice easy cruising... But when both turbos are spooling you can watch the fuel gauge going down... I'd say on boost it drinks more than my Impreza
Old 08-02-2012, 12:24 PM

Thanks all, been reading up on them, and although mechanically similar they are a different animal completely, I think the VOD would soon annoy me. So gone off that idea, and upped the budget and taken a completley different direction and good as done a deal on a E46 M3 coupe SMG, and should be picking it up Friday It gives me the refinement and performance I was looking for but been a little heavier on the pocket.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member

With All the Snow coming for the weekend.. It could be some interesting driving for you this weekend Rob
Old 08-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger View Post
With All the Snow coming for the weekend.. It could be some interesting driving for you this weekend Rob
seen a few RWD BMW's in the business park I work on these past few days. . . . . . . . and quite a few people besides me watching them from their office windows all laughing as hard as me when they can't get in to their parking spaces !
Old 08-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Platinum Member

Reigate and Banstead was littered with bmw's and mercs that were dumped on Sunday
Old 08-02-2012, 12:55 PM

BMW and snow/ice = impossible/pointless - it wouldn't venture out my garage if we get any more snow.

Which is where I'm finding it tough to decide what to do with my wagon at the moment, which has been fantastic to me. I'll probably garage the M3 for now, and run the scoob until the weather turns in a few weeks, then either sorn it till next year, or dual insure it along with the M3.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:12 PM

Change of plan again - Nothing to do with Snow, but M3 is off the menu now....I've decided to stick with what I know - and once again avoid my inner child and stick with either a scoob or Evo, and currently bias towards an Evo
Old 09-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Silver Member

A white Evo 5 maybe
Old 09-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Platinum Member

There are some nice evos about at the mo
Old 09-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Rest in peace Simon.

Lmfao

www.JollyGreenMonster.co.uk

Please follow of Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jolly-...26125404073166