South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Bronze Member

Default Newb question (re-map/mpg)

Afternoon guys, having only been a Subaru owner for 5 weeks I still have a huge amount of info to learn tuning wise.

Regards to the mpg I'm getting from the GB270, I'm pretty shocked just how thirsty the thing is! Driving it carefully or sitting at 70mph on the bypass/motorway it just drinks the fuel, so my train of thought was, is it worth having a re-map done even if the car has no engine mods?

If so is it possible the squeeze a bit more power from the car while at the same time being able to improve my mpg figures? Or is that more likely to happen with a proper tuning set-up?

Answers will be gratefully recieved

Adam
Old 12-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Bronze Member

Hi Adam,

When I re-mapped mine with just an uprated air filter and an exhaust, power went up, drivability went up (usable power range etc), and MPG went up.

On a steady motorway cruise, I average 30mpg in my Hawk WRX with the TD04. Still only get 250/300 Miles a tank, but thats cause the Tanks are tiny too.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member

A simple yes contact Simon www.jollygreenmonster.co.uk
Old 12-04-2012, 04:35 PM
worzel

As above 2 posts!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Nige

What ther not telling you is. Yes your power is up & your mpg. Thing is being blokes power up foot goes down smile's get bigger = less mpg than before. Its what we do you cant help it. :EVO:
Old 12-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
What ther not telling you is. Yes your power is up & your mpg. Thing is being blokes power up foot goes down smile's get bigger = less mpg than before. Its what we do you cant help it. :EVO:
That I won't argue with, of course if I had even more power then there will be times when I wanna have a good blast on a decent road, just be nice to know that when on a cruse I wont have to keep looking down at the petrol gauage thinking that's another £20 gone in a short distance.

Cheers for the responce guys!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

IIRC the GB270 is already remapped by Prodrive, hence why it is 270.
therefore you won't get alot more boost or power from it (maybe 280), but mpg may be improvable in the cruise area.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Bronze Member

I take it thats a possible 280 without changing intake, exhaust etc...?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:57 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

When I had mine mapped the increase in power was great but I have to be honest and say the MPG was no better or worse. So, more power - same MPG was a result. Think you just have to accept the fuel economy. The only time mine was good was on my way to getting it mapped when i had to stay off boost and stuck at 60mph on the M25!!. Boring as hell tho!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB270Adam View Post
I take it thats a possible 280 without changing intake, exhaust etc...?
Probably just about make 280 without exhaust mods.
Intake mods with have little/no effect at that power level.

Torque could be improved a touch in the midrange, but don't expect too much of a power hike unless you swap out the turbo and map it to suite.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Probably just about make 280 without exhaust mods.
Intake mods with have little/no effect at that power level.

Torque could be improved a touch in the midrange, but don't expect too much of a power hike unless you swap out the turbo and map it to suite.
Ahhhh ok cheers for that mate, end of the day I'm not after huge power (yet) be nice to get close to 300bhp maybe a bit over but good to know what my options are for the future, think I'll look at anti-roll bars etc 1st then more than likely the brakes, as I think mine feel very vauge, then again
I've come from a Civic Type-R running 4 pot stoptech's which stopped the car on its nose
Old 13-04-2012, 07:15 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Good route to upgrades would be,
  1. Uprated arbs (22/24) - most fit white line, I have Eibach which are fine for me
  2. Uprated pads and disks - loads of options here Godspeed do a good kit to increase size on std calipers, otherwise you could look at KSport or sti Brembos or go for APs etc.
  3. De/sports cat exhaust, air filter, remap @290bhp
  4. injectors, turbo, remap @350bhp (much more and you're pushing the gearbox etc.)
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 13-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBugEye View Post
Good route to upgrades would be,
  1. Uprated arbs (22/24) - most fit white line, I have Eibach which are fine for me
  2. Uprated pads and disks - loads of options here Godspeed do a good kit to increase size on std calipers, otherwise you could look at KSport or sti Brembos or go for APs etc.
  3. De/sports cat exhaust, air filter, remap @290bhp
  4. injectors, turbo, remap @350bhp (much more and you're pushing the gearbox etc.)
Thanks for that 'BlueBugEye' nice bit of info there, would it be worth upgrading to an STI intercooler at some point? As I've seen them going for very good prices.
Old 14-04-2012, 01:19 AM
Rest in peace Simon.

yes sti intercooler and sti turbo is a great upgrade..

the ppp map is fairly good power wise.. there is a gain in torque and fuelling can be adjusted on cruise slightly but main gain on custom map over current ppp is torque.. upto 340lb..

Simon

www.JollyGreenMonster.co.uk

Please follow of Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jolly-...26125404073166
Old 14-04-2012, 01:21 AM
Rest in peace Simon.

oh and of course it is possible to load two maps on the ecu, enabling you to have an economy low boost map.. although to an extent you will only gain mpg on this at full throttle over normal full power map as it will have lower boost and if you wanted to do full throttle you might prefer to be on the higher power map but worth considering depending on your drive style..

Old 14-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks very much for that Simon, will no doubt be in touch with you at some point in the not to distant future, having been to Lifestyle Subaru 1st thing this morning I need to look at my brakes 1st, 340 ft/lbs of torque sounds very nice though...
Old 15-04-2012, 12:07 AM
Rest in peace Simon.

cool