South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 28-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

Default Turbo inlet time!!

Decided that it was time for the inlet manifold to come off for a repaint after seeing jaffa's awesome little spray job and as you do whilst pushing and proding certain things under you engine bay ive discovered the dreaded turbo inlet pipe to be a little worn out and a tad worse for wear.
It's really soft underneath and there are a few holes where the clamp was so it looks like I've caught it in time. Hopefully?!

I need to find a decent silicone replacement and I know the best to get is samco but at £220 odd I just can't stump that up right now as my blooming honda has just spat it's dummy out and cost me £500 for a new clutch!!!!
( I would never buy a Honda again! Certainly not the 2.2 diesel anyway)
Can anyone recommend a good manufacturer of silicone hoses at a fairly reasonable cost?
Old 28-05-2013, 10:37 PM
Silver Member

Not sure what version yours is or if this is the right pipe rich but found this:

http://www.scoobyworx.com/swrd-turbo...-00-6943-p.asp

Or this

http://www.scoobyparts.com/acatalog/...OSE_-_RED.html

Last edited by SamSTI; 28-05-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 28-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Regular User

tbh mate its not worth going for a cheap alternative.i have been told by several people including a mapper that the cheap ones dont last long.if ur like me i prefer to fix things once and never have to worry.have a lool around someone might be selling one.perrin is another onr to look out for.apparently a bit more fiddly to fit though.
Old 29-05-2013, 05:40 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Not sure if you can make them fit but you're welcome to one of my spare OE newage ones. I've got an sfs on mine and it's fine, at std boost or mild maps you should be fine with pretty much any of the recognised makes, e.g. Viper, sfs, etc.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 29-05-2013, 05:47 AM
Platinum Member

Cheers Sam, the top one from scoobyworx is the right year, 99-00, and the write up on it sounds pretty good and the price is pretty fair too.

I know what you mean PJBendejo, you get what you pay for so a floppy cheap one is not an option which will only cause more issues in the long run.

I've got pretty much everything disconnected, just the water and fuel lines to go then I can lift the manifold out. Fiddle little bugger but an interesting job.
Old 29-05-2013, 05:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBugEye View Post
Not sure if you can make them fit but you're welcome to one of my spare OE newage ones. I've got an sfs on mine and it's fine, at std boost or mild maps you should be fine with pretty much any of the recognised makes, e.g. Viper, sfs, etc.
Cheers nick, I really would like to put a silicon one in then i can be sure its done and forget about it, i have been looking at the viper site but couldn't see one for my year and haven't yet had the chance to gander at the sfs range but good thinking. Although the one Sam has suggested doesn't sound like its a nasty floppy copy.
Old 29-05-2013, 06:22 AM
Platinum Member

Think there was a brand new Perrin one on Scabbynet, Ill try and drag out the link, sure it was for a V6 as well.

Shane
Old 29-05-2013, 06:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
Think there was a brand new Perrin one on Scabbynet, Ill try and drag out the link, sure it was for a V6 as well.

Shane
Cheers Shane.
Old 29-05-2013, 07:01 AM

neil (slowboy) recommended i put a japspeed one in mine, and not been a problem in the 1000 miles we've done this weekend.

CJ recomended putting some intercooler pipe down inside it to make sure it doesn't suck in.

cost me about £75. and was here in a day or so, samco can take a while.
2003 Blobeye WRX SL Wagon
Old 29-05-2013, 08:01 AM
Platinum Member

Found it, thought it was cheaper than this though.

http://bbs.scoobynet.com/subaru-part...ing-build.html

Shane
Old 29-05-2013, 11:07 AM
Gold Member

let me know what u go for rich cause iam after 1 aswell might be able to get it cheeper if we get a couple
Old 29-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-jaffacake-tone View Post
let me know what u go for rich cause iam after 1 aswell might be able to get it cheeper if we get a couple
Just seen the japspeed version that Si mentioned which looks pretty well built and it does say its reinforced which I like the sound of, reasonable price too.

Tone if I take off the injector rail from the manifold will I need to replace the orings or are they usually reusable?
Old 30-05-2013, 07:21 AM
Platinum Member

Well I managed to rip its lungs out last night, and as tone did rightly say what a pita!!! Or should I say pain in the back.

Putting it all back once it's painted should be alot easier now I know how it all comes apart. Hopefully.

Had a nice little delivery today too. I've been waiting for these for a while as alyn has had trouble sourcing them but the price was good and was worth the wait. These will go on the back burner of jobs to do now though as I want to finish the engine bay first.
Old 30-05-2013, 08:29 AM
Gold Member

You could try and find a spec c one, much bigger than the standard one, but still retains then strenth.
Old 30-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

I used one from 2Fast2Cool2 on ebay. No problems with it whatsoever and appeared no different to much more expensive options : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMP...item519f7e2475

Other silicon Products : http://stores.ebay.co.uk/2fast2cool2...subaru+silicon