South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Studio > Meet / Event Pics & Vids

Meet / Event Pics & Vids Post all your meet / event pictures here.

Old 20-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Gold Member

Default RallycrossRX R7 2013 - Lohéac

So as some of you may know, I’m rather partial to a bit of rallycross. I was at Lydden for the first round of the European Rallycross (now RallycrossRX) Championship earlier in the year and, at the time, I said I really wanted to see another round of the Championship this year.

I started making some enquiries about the European rounds and ended up getting offered a passenger ride with a UK rallycross driver who was going to the French RallycrossRX round at Lohéac. The offer was too good to pass, so I said yes! Then, just a week or so before I was due to go, I got into a Facebook conversation with a professional photographer. One thing led to another and before I knew it I was travelling to Loheac with a media pass in my mitts: result!

Many pictures were taken, but here are a few of my faves…

The entry list for the French round was fantastic. A number of French drivers had entered (the French National Championship is arguably the strongest in Europe), plus there were some big international names in the Supercar class as well. Tanner Foust was back to try and maintain his 100% winning streak in Europe this year…

…Irish rally driver Kris Meeke was at the wheel of an Albatec Peugeot 208, plus another mildly famous rally driver had joined the entry…

…yes, the Sebastien Loeb was driving a borrowed Citroen DS3.

I was also looking forward to seeing Mats Öhman racing; you’ve probably never heard of him, so here he is surveying his car pre-practise.

Öhman is paralyzed from the waist down, has limited strength in his arms and cannot move his fingers.

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/tbtstt/RXR720132_zps2b585776.jpg[/img]

Thanks to a highly modified car setup he is able to steer with his left arm and controls all other functions of the car with the right arm. This not only allows him to drive the car, but race it competitively. I have nothing but respect for someone with this much dedication to motorsport.

You’re supposed to drive round chicanes Loeb, not over them...

At the start of the second set of heats, both Liam Doran and Petter Solberg had an issue on the start line. They both sat there for a few seconds, Doran got going first, then eventually Solberg set off.

Solberg then proceeded to drive round the circuit like an absolute lunatic. I was on the inside of the last corner and he came into it at the most ridiculous angle, I was sure he was going to lose it…

…but he just powered round. Watching him working away the steering wheel was one of those moments I won’t forget for a long time!

On the subject of Solberg I had a good nose around his garage whilst I had the chance.

His car isn’t wrapped: pretty much every panel is naked carbon fibre, save for the Bruce Lee on either side of the car.

The Mk.7 and Mk.8 Fiestas are still my fave looking cars from the current crop of rallycross machinery, but Solberg’s DS3 looks the ********, and I haven’t even mentioned the best bit…

FIRE!

Old 20-09-2013, 10:08 AM
Gold Member

Kris Meeke was the revelation of the weekend. The Albatec Peugeot 208 hasn’t had much success this year, but he was flying it in.

Unfortunately a puncture in heat 2 and a disqualification for heat 3 – due a rather, er, “enthusiastic” overtaking move – put him out of contention for the final.

When you find rallycross just isn’t challenging enough, then you need to start racing whilst on fire…

Loeb was very quick and made it through to the semi-finals, but he wasn’t quite fast enough to make it to the final.

Irishman Derek Tohill took the win in the Touring Car final, extending his Championship lead. He won again last weekend in Austria and has now been crowned 2013 Touring Car champion.

Frenchman Fabien Pailler was very rapid all weekend and it was only an unlucky moment at the start of his semi-final that put him out of contention. He finished the race, but not all his bodywork was in place…

Reigning Champion and current Championship leader Timur Timerzyanov has yet to win a race this year, but he finished in the top 4 again and extended his lead.

The Supercar final saw an all Norwegian front row of Petter Solberg and Andreas Bakkerud. Solberg was fastest off the line, but his rear tyres were shot and, after swapping positions with Bakkerud twice, Bakkerud eventually passed Solberg and pulled away.

It was one of the best rallycross finals I’ve seen in person, with positions (and paint) changing all over the place. Foust was fighting for third, but ended up parking his car trackside…

I wanted to see Solberg win, but Bakkerud was the quicker driver and Solberg clearly agreed, as he was the first person to congratulate him.

Great to see such a good show of sportsmanship and a fantastic note to end a superb weekend of racing on. Roll on next years Championship!
Old 20-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Wow. Superb photos mate, you're becoming a proper pro at this. Obviously making a good name for yourself in the rallycross circle too, if you're getting media passes sorted.

Top work fella
Old 20-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Silver Member

Really excellent shots! Well done mate
Old 20-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
Wow. Superb photos mate, you're becoming a proper pro at this. Obviously making a good name for yourself in the rallycross circle too, if you're getting media passes sorted.
Thanks mate! Wouldn't go quite as far as that: none of their guys were going, I was, so worked out beneficial for both parties!

Fantastic weekend though and a brilliant atmosphere at the track. The French spectators really get into the racing, definately made it more enjoyable to watch.
Old 30-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Gold Member

Forgive the double post, but I meant to post this up sooner. Should any of you be very bored and want to look at more pictures, my full write up on the weekend can be seen here:

Day 1:

http://www.fueltopia.co.uk/profiles/...7-loh-ac-day-1

Day 2:

http://www.fueltopia.co.uk/profiles/...7-loh-ac-day-2
Old 30-09-2013, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member

Great pics