South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 30-09-2014, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

Default Road tax

Well road tax all paid up today for 6 months don't get a tax disc no more now what am I going to put in this now ?

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 30-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Good question, we've got quite a few left too.... not much use for them now!

Unless anyone has any bright ideas, we might as well give them away at meets for free now in case people can find a use for them. Better than chucking them in the bin....
Old 30-09-2014, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

Doesn't seem ryt I don't think just another poxy cut back yet price stays the same so win win for the gov we suck out still,
Old 30-09-2014, 07:19 PM

I could use a new one, mine was damaged when windscreen replaced! will fill it with something useful I'm sure

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 30-09-2014, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Pay display tickets placed in there lol
Old 30-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Haha

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 30-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby doo View Post
Doesn't seem ryt I don't think just another poxy cut back yet price stays the same so win win for the gov we suck out still,
It's not a cut back, it's an efficiency saving.

The Government has a gaping black hole in the public finances, so it is logical to administer the system electronically, as it was dong so anyway.

For nostalgic reasons I'll miss tax discs, but quite happy to forego them rather than see greater increases in VED!
Old 30-09-2014, 08:23 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

I didn't want to buy the SES holders (and certainly not the quantities we had too) anyway.

I'll be glad to see the back of them....hang on I've been looking at the back of them.....I'll be glad when their gone, it makes cleaning the inside of the screen easier
Old 30-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

Ripspeed are going to go outfof business, tacky tax disc holders must make up 95% of their business.

Couldn't believe RAC put a tax disc holder in my renewal paperwork last month, they must have thousands to get rid of.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:38 AM
Regular User

I'll be glad to be rid of the one in my Impreza, its old and crappy looking - didnt wanna fork out for a new one with the changes coming in today.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member

Well I'm currently trying to SORN the Scoob but web site is down so that's a good start.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:17 AM
Gold Member

I've not had a current disk on display for almost a year in the black bug. ��

Just kept forgetting to put it in, then just lost it indoors somewhere.

I taxed the landy last month, and it was just printed on plain paper, no hologram and had to cut it out myself!
Old 01-10-2014, 12:07 PM
Regular User

A friend of mine lives on the Isle of Wight and was telling me that last night the traffic wardens were out in force giving anyone not displaying a tax disc a ticket!!

Shocker!!

Old 01-10-2014, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

I disagree with this thing of buying a new car that auto the tax is up for the new keeper, what happens if you buy a car let's say 24th of a 31day month, your only car so needed for work, family etc? Yet you will have to pay for the past 24 days. Yet the car already has tax ,
The way I see it is- I would be paying for the month and the previous keeper who has the car taxed also is payed for that month and not able to claim it back, so in effect the car is taxed twice that month! Surley that's a win win for gov,
Maybe I'm wrong and not understood it propley but that's how it's looking to me ATM

Grrr rant over lol
Old 01-10-2014, 12:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby doo View Post
I disagree with this thing of buying a new car that auto the tax is up for the new keeper, what happens if you buy a car let's say 24th of a 31day month, your only car so needed for work, family etc? Yet you will have to pay for the past 24 days. Yet the car already has tax ,
The way I see it is- I would be paying for the month and the previous keeper who has the car taxed also is payed for that month and not able to claim it back, so in effect the car is taxed twice that month! Surley that's a win win for gov,
Maybe I'm wrong and not understood it propley but that's how it's looking to me ATM

Grrr rant over lol
I'm not sure it does work that way, but that is a fair point. If that is the case then I agree it is an unfair revenue raiser.

Mind you, no different to if the previous owner (more likely with a trader involved) has taken the disc off to refund it. I got "caught" like that, but the difference was so marginal it wasn't worth worrying about. Multiply it across the number of vehicles changing hands though and it would be a reasonable chunk of cash!
Old 01-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

That's the way it works..... DVLA gets double bubble for the month that a car changes registered keeper.

Seller can only claim back full months when selling, so pays to tax it for that month.
Buyer has to tax it as well when buying, and has to tax it from the start of that month.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:42 PM
Gold Member

So that is the same as the old system only it guarantees that you get caught by it by removing the ability to transfer the disc.

I partially retract my earlier comments then!

I still think there are some efficiency savings through the new system.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:05 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Haha
I'm surprised they let you get away with having a picture of Black Adder on your ID card
Old 01-10-2014, 04:13 PM
Gold Member

Oh dear, there's been a meltdown. The website has gone tits up on its first day......
Old 01-10-2014, 06:37 PM
Regular User

Just buy new cars in the first week of the month lol
Old 01-10-2014, 10:18 PM
SES Catering & Picnic Services

Found a fun list of alternative uses

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/blog/20...sc-holder.html

biscuit holder! Or actually a place to keep your nurburgring lap card

Last edited by The Handbrake; 01-10-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:37 AM
Gold Member

I wonder how many people are Taxless this morning?! The online service is still buggered.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member

Managed to SORN mine yesterday, Have a confirmation email as well. Now if I can just get hold of Gary to sort out my insurance
Old 02-10-2014, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
Managed to SORN mine yesterday, Have a confirmation email as well. Now if I can just get hold of Gary to sort out my insurance
I hope you are still keeping it insured will its sorn bud