South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 07-03-2015, 05:05 PM
Regular User

Default Cold Start issues - help

As title - I've still got this bloody cold start issue, its starting to really p!ss me off now lol

The car has had an SC42 twin scroll conversion done, with HDI FMIC and Deatchworks 740 injectors. Everything was ok but ever since this was done its had this weird starting issue.

The map has been looked at again by Racedynamix, the Oxygen sensor has been replaced with a proper new Subaru part, and the fuel pump has replaced with a new Walboro and it still is playing up.

Here's the issue:

Leave car over night or few days, then get in to start - car will turn over but struggle to fire up, have to have foot flat down on accelerator to get it to fire up, if/when it does it comes on the revs are low and start at 100 then climbs slowly to the cold start 1500.
If I drive it up to temp then turn off and turn on again its spot on, however if I let it cool down for say half hour/1 hour then it will start but at really low revs like 100, if I tap accelerator and hold at about 1200 it seems to sort it self out when I let go.
Occasionally when I fire it up after its been sat cooling for a small time (eg 15 mins) It fires up but its almost as tho its trying to fire up too early - i.e literally as soon as the engine starts to crank over it fires up but really low at 100, then a tap of the accelerator and its back up to normal 900.

Now here's the weird bit - sometimes I will get to the car after having been standing for days and it will start absolutely spot on. Or if I go to the car after leaving it cool for a few hours it sometimes starts fine then too??

Does anyone have any ideas what I can try next?

The car drives fine, boosts well and no running issues - just this weird starting problem. Also its running mafless

I have a brand new coil pack and coolant temp sensor yet to fit, but this is doing my head in now and just want it sorted..

I recon this is a failing crank sensor? - What you recon?

Last edited by CutmasterT; 07-03-2015 at 05:08 PM.