South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:45 AM

Default Petition to stop Councils top dressing roads.

I urge you all to sign... always getting car damaged by this total BS crap,
Every time I have to drive over it I end up with a new chip on the car somewhere or someone traveling in the opposite direction showers you in sh1t!

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/127577

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:37 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

With you 100% on this!

Not only the gravel causing stone-chips though, its the fact that they have to re-do it (especially in corners) every few years and each time it adds another half inch on the road surface. There's loads of places round Burgess Hill where all the drains/man-hole covers are about 2 inches lower than the road surface now

Chip your paint and knacker your suspension in one go!
Old 02-08-2016, 12:09 PM

Just signed, ironically I was going along the A22 East Hoathly by-pass which has just been surfaced in this crap, had a blob eye wagon behind me who wanted to show me how fast he could go, resulted in an overtake showering me with small stones from the middle of the road.

It's bad enough we are expected to use our cars to flatten it all down!
Old 02-08-2016, 12:59 PM

My trip to work now has three sections of road that have just been done, and with 285 section tyres on the rear of the Merc makes for some stone spraying. 2 alloys at the rear already chipped in multiple places and only had them a week!
2003 Blobeye WRX SL Wagon
Old 02-08-2016, 01:00 PM
Formerly Taomyn

Signed. I'm still able to as a UK citizen thank-fully, but I too get fed up with it when I drive back each time. I never hear rattles from my car until the moment I set down at Dover.

I'm pretty certain over here on the continent that in many countries the way the UK chips roads as actually illegal - for very obvious reasons. I've definitely never seen them used here in Luxembourg and that they always pull up the roads properly before re-laying them.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:56 PM
Gold Member

Signed
Old 03-08-2016, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

Done and put on Facebook
Old 03-08-2016, 10:26 PM
Silver Member

9, 262 when I signed
Old 03-08-2016, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyStu View Post
Signed
+1
Old 04-08-2016, 06:51 AM
Gold Member

Signed. Here in France they never top dress roads. They appear to have a set programme to re surface roads on a 3 year cycle, with the work carried out in July and August, result no potholes.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:20 AM
Gold Member

this cant come soon enough!!! good call..
Old 04-08-2016, 11:06 AM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Done - 10,014 so far.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:03 PM
Bronze Member

Hate this road surface they done loads off roads round me with and just keep finding more stone chips!! Feel sorry for people who live on the roads that have been done and have to park there cars on the side of the road
Old 08-08-2016, 02:11 PM
Bronze Member

Done. After parking in the nursery car park to drop Ellie off in the mornings, I'm beyond worrying about a few little stone chips, but that gravel crud is dangerous (both when it's laid and when it starts to wear away on the corners after 6 months!) and a waste of money.

I wonder how much it costs to 'dress' the roads in that stuff compared to re-laying the roads properly (especially once you include all the compensation claims for bent alloys, wrecked suspension and busted tyres from the sunken drains 'surface dressing' leaves behind).
Old 19-08-2016, 10:29 AM
Formerly Taomyn

Oh for crying out loud, can you believe this crap?

Quote:
Government responded:

This Government takes the issue of road safety and the condition of the local road network very seriously.

The Government is allocating more than £6bn in this Parliament to highway authorities in England, outside London, for highways maintenance.

For local roads, which are the statutory responsibility of local highway authorities, it is for each individual authority to decide on the most suitable materials to be used for resurfacing and repair works, based upon their local knowledge and circumstances.

Surface Dressing can be an efficient and effective method for routine maintenance of road surfaces. Once authorities have repaired any defects on the road, they spray the existing surface with a thin layer of hot bitumen binder, then spread stone chippings over the bitumen and use a heavy roller so that the bitumen sticks them to the existing surface.

This type of dressing forms a water-resistant protective layer which makes the road less slippery (more skid-resistant) and extends its life by preventing water (and then ice) getting in to cause cracks and eventually potholes.

Usually after a week the highway authority will return to sweep the road to remove most loose chippings. However, some loose chippings will remain until road vehicles press them into the bitumen.

Department for Transport
Vote these morons out people, they really have no clue
Old 19-08-2016, 01:13 PM

yeah saw the reply when it came out and thought, have you actually read the petition?
2003 Blobeye WRX SL Wagon