South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 30-08-2016, 03:38 PM
Platinum Member

Default Warranty Transfer

Has anyone here ever bought a second hand car with a remainder of the manufacturers warranty and then been asked to pay to have it transferred. The Fiat 500 we bought a couple of months ago isn't 3 years old till October so when the boot open switch stopped working we just took it back to the main dealer despite buying it from an independent. Car was booked in, they agreed it was a warranty repair and they fitted a new handle and switch assembly the following week. They've just phoned my wife to say that the warranty isn't in her name therefore they can't put it through as a warranty repair unless we pay £30 to transfer it.
As far as I'm concerned they've carried out the work now so they can poke it, surely the warranty is with the car and not the owner.
Old 30-08-2016, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

My understanding is that it goes with the buyer if it gets sold on the warranty needs to be transferred . Some dealers do it free others charge and some don't transfer at all.

As for the work carried out they could take you to small claims for the cost of repair but its unlikely they would do so.
Its definitely not a criminal offence
Old 30-08-2016, 03:48 PM
Platinum Member

I thought that was only for extended warranties. We did take an extended warranty on the car and they post dated it till October as it had the remainder of the manufacturers warranty on it. As SLM are a former Fiat dealer I would have expected them to know what they're doing. Maybe I'll pay them a visit. As for KAP in Eastbourne, y out think they would have checked all this before carrying out the work.
Old 30-08-2016, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member

Believe it's at manufacturers discretion, but have often heard of people paying a admin charge.
Old 30-08-2016, 06:21 PM
Gold Member

It's twenty questions from me (well three)....

Did they tell you the cost of the repair before carrying it out? Did they raise the point about warranty transfers? Did they know you weren't the first owner of the car?

If the answers are no, no, yes, then I would also tell them to poke it as they have not managed their own risk and certainly not allowed you the opportunity to take your business elsewhere or not have the work done. To now try and charge you would be a bit of a cheek!
Old 30-08-2016, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member

It's No, No, No.
All sorted, back to the dealer I bought it from and they're going to refund me the £30 administration fee. Fiat are one of the few that don't automatically transfer the warranty apparently.
Either way KAP in Eastbourne really should have checked all this before carrying out the work.
Old 30-08-2016, 09:41 PM
Gold Member

That's the right result (possibly for the wrong reason!) so all's well that ends well!