South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 20-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Regular User

Default air leak??? doing my nut....

please advise..... after fitting some new goodies to the old girl this weekend i have a problem fitted new fmic then tested all working lovely , then fitted oil catch can, silicone turbo inlet pipe, and ss headers. now the car ticks over at 1700 rpm and sometimes rises to 2100rpm ive been told im getting an air leak after the throttle housing so have removed the inlet man. and re-gasketed it 3x now but still the same ok for a bit then gos up please help could it be any thing else???? really doing nut in now lol also is instant gasket what it says on the tin .... instant??? or do you leave to set ??? just want my car working again any advice welcome many thanks.....
Old 20-09-2009, 11:48 PM
Crowman

when you fitted new FMIC did you fit new dump valve, only i have seen certain dump valves on FMIC set up cause high and irregular tick over, when dump valve changed the fault went.
Another thing to look at is idle control valve, may be sticking, when tick over is high give the valve a light tap with the handle of a screwdriver. I had this with my idle control valve and if i tapped the valve the idle would drop. Cured it by changing the valve.
Old 21-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
when you fitted new FMIC did you fit new dump valve, only i have seen certain dump valves on FMIC set up cause high and irregular tick over, when dump valve changed the fault went.
Another thing to look at is idle control valve, may be sticking, when tick over is high give the valve a light tap with the handle of a screwdriver. I had this with my idle control valve and if i tapped the valve the idle would drop. Cured it by changing the valve.
cheers for the quick reply, fmic has a hks bov, and was test drove befor the other bit was fitted and was all good and working fine it only started racing on tick over once the silicone air intake pipe, ss headers, and oil catch was fitted cant under stand it ??? gunna clean the idle control and re gasket the inlet manifold again..... fingers crossed lol
Old 21-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

I would always use new gaskets for the inlet. mine bent quite badly when it was removed.

Even if they do seal with instant gasket, there is no guarantee they will stay sealed under boost.
it's also a little difficult to re-fit/re-align the inlet what with having to get the turbo hose on etc....

is the DV re-circ connection to the new silicon intake pipe blanked correctly, this will join to a hard cross-over pipe near the turbo.

there are sets on ebay from a jap parts importer and they are genuine subaru.

could be DV but expect it to be an air leak engine side of throttle housing.
DV connects (small hose) to engine side, so try blocking that and also remove DV and bung the hole with a steel cap (or 19mm socket ) for a trial run.

Last edited by Scott.T; 21-09-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 21-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Regular User

Default doh !!!!

its sorted now well thanks to brent any how lol after regasketing for the forth time all with the same results i thought to myself has to be something else cant get it wrong 4x`s so inseed of ripping appart again i drove her down to brent @ smd`s in denton and withing 2mins he found the promblem..... i had bent the throttle cable stopper bar forwards a few mm so it all looked closed but it was not !!! he bent bar back and she now purrs like normal now, he also noticed my evc boost was not right and sorted that aswell. he only wanted a small drink aswell so many many thanks to him xxx hehe
Old 21-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

"cough" did say check the cable/body on the phone

Last edited by C. J.; 21-09-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 21-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stig this View Post
its sorted now well thanks to brent any how lol after regasketing for the forth time all with the same results i thought to myself has to be something else cant get it wrong 4x`s so inseed of ripping appart again i drove her down to brent @ smd`s in denton and withing 2mins he found the promblem..... i had bent the throttle cable stopper bar forwards a few mm so it all looked closed but it was not !!! he bent bar back and she now purrs like normal now, he also noticed my evc boost was not right and sorted that aswell. he only wanted a small drink aswell so many many thanks to him xxx hehe
what was up with the EVC had the boost shifted due to the headers and intake ?
Old 21-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Regular User

Default hks evc

i had plumbed it in wrong from the start lol still worked ok but feels much better now under boost and i had to turn back a bit as hit 1.65 bar and my low boost set at 0.8 bar was hitting 1.2 bar not no more thanks for your help though i knew it had to be something simples, i must be able to seal my intake in 4 attempts in 2 days!! lol one to remember for the next time mind you. cheers again people. up to surrey r/r tomorrow will let you know the results... she did hit 362bhp at afr "austec" a few weeks ago but been told there 20/25bhp out though??and that was befor i fitted my goodies so if i can get 350bhp will be more than happy defo pulls more now
Old 21-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Gold Member

Did you bend it while you were trying to fit into the engine bay, with the engine?

I should have taken a photo...

Glad its sorted now though, sounds nice too.
Old 22-09-2009, 08:40 AM
SES Mercedes Division

Glad you got the problem sorted.

How does it feel compared to before you fitted all the bits?
Old 22-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortster View Post
Did you bend it while you were trying to fit into the engine bay, with the engine?

I should have taken a photo...

Glad its sorted now though, sounds nice too.
no cos i was trying to fix it lol must have happend befor i climbed in any way it always feels better when your all the way in lol
Old 23-09-2009, 12:08 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
Glad you got the problem sorted.

How does it feel compared to before you fitted all the bits?
did have a little play last night and it felt much more pully... but went to surrey r/r for map tweak and dyno cos of the new bits today and was very happy with the results..... 364bhp/340lb`s on my vf22 and 440 injectors @1.5bar had a better play on way home omg feels like new car what a kick in the back when you hit full boost it feels soooooo much quicker and dont get me started on the pop`s and bangs lol was well worth the upgrades