South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Engine Management

Engine Management For all your mapping,diagnostics and electronics

Old 27-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Silver Member

Default Silly Question

Hi Guys, i know i keep asking silly questions so i am sure one more silly question will not hurt.

I have on order CP Forged pistons, Manley H beam conrods, stage 2 bc cams, titainium valve springs and retainers, ACL race bearing kit, ARP 2000 head studs, and a performance head gasket kit, all this is going into my uk spec impreza, what would happen if i run this on my standard ecu, will i melt the piston?

I have kind of run out of money as i am loosing my job but don't want to keep the car off the road when i put it back together...
Old 27-01-2010, 01:07 PM
worzel

I'm pretty sure I am correct in this (someone will correct me no doubt if I'm wrong) but, no you won't melt anything.

BUT.... you will need to map it ASAP, Simon (JGM) or whoever you are getting to map it will put a running in map on it in the first instance, and drive like miss daisy on slow me down pills until you do, keep it off boost etc. At this stage, the mapper will give you a regime of sorts.

You will also need to get some miles on it (running in), I know Simon (JGM) looks for a minimum of 800-1000 mile before final mapping.

Finally, there is no such thing as a silly question......BUT ..... I can't guarantee the answers will be sensible though.
Old 27-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel View Post
I'm pretty sure I am correct in this (someone will correct me no doubt if I'm wrong) but, no you won't melt anything.

BUT.... you will need to map it ASAP, Simon (JGM) or whoever you are getting to map it will put a running in map on it in the first instance, and drive like miss daisy on slow me down pills until you do, keep it off boost etc. At this stage, the mapper will give you a regime of sorts.

You will also need to get some miles on it (running in), I know Simon (JGM) looks for a minimum of 800-1000 mile before final mapping.

Finally, there is no such thing as a silly question......BUT ..... I can't guarantee the answers will be sensible though.
Cheers matey, i think i am going to send back the cams and get the ecu instead..
Old 02-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Rest in peace Simon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler T 299 View Post
Hi Guys, i know i keep asking silly questions so i am sure one more silly question will not hurt.

I have on order CP Forged pistons, Manley H beam conrods, stage 2 bc cams, titainium valve springs and retainers, ACL race bearing kit, ARP 2000 head studs, and a performance head gasket kit, all this is going into my uk spec impreza, what would happen if i run this on my standard ecu, will i melt the piston?

I have kind of run out of money as i am loosing my job but don't want to keep the car off the road when i put it back together...
not worth the risk.. the main influences on the map from your list will be the cams and the pistons.. the pistons will effect compression.. to high compression and it will detonate and cause damage.. the cams will through the fuelling and ignition out and need mapping in.

it should be okay for running in.. and it could be checked both for running in and after to check safe though.

Head gasket thickness can be used to tailor the compression of the engine also.

Simon
Old 03-02-2010, 09:15 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster View Post
not worth the risk.. the main influences on the map from your list will be the cams and the pistons.. the pistons will effect compression.. to high compression and it will detonate and cause damage.. the cams will through the fuelling and ignition out and need mapping in.

it should be okay for running in.. and it could be checked both for running in and after to check safe though.

Head gasket thickness can be used to tailor the compression of the engine also.

Simon
Cheers Simon, well i am definatley getting that ecu off you after that discussion we had.... Will book that up with you closer to the time, is it easy to fit anti lag, and am right in thinking that it has a switch right?
Old 03-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Rest in peace Simon.

no problem

yes switchable etc

Simon