South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Studio > General Pics

General Pics All sorts in here, show us what you've been up to - No adult content.

Old 27-04-2010, 09:43 AM
worzel

Default HDR Pic - El Capitan

This is my first play with HDR, so a bit of an experiment.

Old 27-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Silver Member

Pure quality mate, as usual
Old 27-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member

Great image
Is that similar to "Raw" Worzel ??
Old 27-04-2010, 10:23 AM
worzel

Cheers guys

Clive, RAW files are files that are exactly what the camera see's when you expose the sensor. These files record all details / highlights / shadows etc. These are bigger files to store on a memory card, so lots of people don't bother with them in favour of the good old compressed J-pegs.

J-pegs are a good go between, but do not give you the same control as a raw file when it comes to editing. When shooting raw files you can convert lots of things before you even send it to photoshop, for example if it is under exposed you can increase the exposure, same with white balance.

This picture is a combination of 4 raw files with different exposure settings. 1 set at good exposure, then 1 at +2/3, then 1 at - 2/3 and another at - 1 & 1/3EV. The files are then exported into a programme called Photomatix Pro, an HDR (High Dynamic Range) Processing package and the pictures are combined. As the title suggests, what this gives you is a depth in dynamic range, so that all of the highlights / shadows etc are combined. It gives you a sometimes unreal effect but something slightly different.

For the best results, you really need a static scene or subject. The pictures should be taken on a tripod so that you take the same picture and you should be in full manual mode, including focusing. Ideally you want to fire off 3 / 5 or 7 shots to cover the range, mine works ok with 4 though, but could have been better.

HDR is one of the things I have lined up for the photoshoot we have spoken about. for your P1.

Hope that hasn't bored you too much.
Old 27-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member

You are indeed a scientist Steve! You lost me in para 3 !!

Old 27-04-2010, 04:46 PM
SES Mercedes Division

Cracking pic & colours

out of interest, how much did your camera cost?
Old 27-04-2010, 05:54 PM
worzel

Cheers again guys.

Lee, the camera body alone was £1300.00. I dread to think what it would be if I added all up
Old 27-04-2010, 06:04 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

never tried HDR pics - not even tried working with RAW files yet, might have to give it a go
Old 27-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel View Post
I dread to think what it would be if I added all up
i'm sure you've said that before
Old 27-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

So HDR is really a process of multi layering the same image with each image edited differently? and RAW is basically a large negative?
Old 27-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Crowman

Love it mate, looks like a shot out of Avitar
Old 27-04-2010, 06:51 PM
worzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
i'm sure you've said that before
Very much so, why is life so fookin expensive.
Old 27-04-2010, 07:03 PM
worzel

Raw files are so much easier to work with for sure.

You do need bigger memory cards to cope with them, as a raw file is about 25mb each, where as an unprocessed j-peg is about 6-7 mb.

Steve, give raws a try. Set the camera to Raw & J-pegs to be safe to begin with, once you have got your head around processing raw files you won't look back. You can then save as J-pegs.

Clive, not really like negatives, but only becasue you can do so much more with them. They are totally uncompressed files which are basically what you see.
Old 28-04-2010, 04:44 PM
SES Mercedes Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel View Post
Cheers again guys.

Lee, the camera body alone was £1300.00. I dread to think what it would be if I added all up
I'll stick with my £100 special
Old 28-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
never tried HDR pics - not even tried working with RAW files yet, might have to give it a go
Reckon we'll have to get hold of a hokey copy of LightRoom and learn together (ahhhh).

Fab pic MrW! Ever had a go at tilt shift photography? A pic of a crowd of scoobs taken from somewhere high would look fab like that! Apparently there's a way of faking it in Photoshop but haven't tried it yet.
Old 28-04-2010, 09:01 PM
worzel

Not tried tilt shift, looks very interesting though.

I have not long bought a lens baby composer lens, which gives you an almost identical effect to to tilt shift at a fraction of the cost.

We need to set something up for that for sure.

I can feel a photography day coming on sometime soon.
Old 30-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Regular User

That picture looks amazing, top bombing!
Old 10-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Bronze Member

This photo is amazing and is currently the desktop wallpaper on my Toshiba laptop!
Old 10-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Gold Member

Stunning picture, perfect use of the HDR effect without taking it to far. from me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
I'll stick with my £100 special
You can still do HDR with a less-expensive camera, you just need a tripod (or a steady knee!) to rest the camera on while you adjust the settings!
Old 10-05-2010, 06:10 PM
worzel

Cheers again guys, much appreciated.