South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Gold Member

Default Not happy....

first time in 13yrs, got pulled over this morning for a breath test (haven't had a drink for 5yrs), and got done for an illegal front number plate

Wasn't over the limit, wasn't on a mobile, had a seat belt on....but no the number plate is too small....have they nothing better to do???

So where am i going to fit a legal one now? Stuck a normal size one over the SMALL one today and it looks awful
Old 09-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Not happy....

Its not good
I have a 3/4 size plate under my full size one as at the mc rea gathering one of the police was taking down all the cars with small plates , so out came the full size one !
Old 09-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Gold Member

You think they would be more worried about all those people out there with private plates that are illegal and un-readable.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

indeed
Old 09-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Bronze Member

i got stopped in burgess hill the other morning rich, in the latest drink drive crack down, was told by the policemen that my plates were illegal and suggested i get them changed back to avoid expense in the future ie a fine.

He was really nice about it and wasnt too bothered really but got the impression he said it coz he had too.

Will dig my originals i think and get them swapped, cant afford to get a fine for such a silly thing.

Dave
Old 09-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBoy
first time in 13yrs, got pulled over this morning for a breath test (haven't had a drink for 5yrs), and got done for an illegal front number plate
was that in Haywards Heath? i saw you about 6 or 7 cars back in the queue waiting to get out the end of Rocky Lane this morning (i think i was in front of your missus in the Corsa....)

if they're cracking down, then i'll expect a tug sometime soon
Old 10-12-2008, 08:26 AM
Regular User

I had a nice policeman knock on my front door around 6 months ago saying he had passed me the week before and made a note of my number plate so that he could follow it up and he had only just had the time to do it. Told me i needed to get it changed as its too small. I was off to Bristol later that day so was going to do it when i got back from business. BUT... once i got on the M2 in Kent i was pulled over and givn a fine for the plate by another plod, and when i tried telling him that the copper who had just called at my house said i had a week to get it changed he just smirked and said i'm not that nice...you have to do it now!!

What he did say was that he was taking photos of the number plaste and sending them to the DVLA to examine and that i should expect a letter from them saying that i will need to re-register the car and wait for a new registration number to be allocated, thus meaning i would need to change insurance, tax etc ........Needless to say i never did get that letter but have put the old plates back on now
Old 10-12-2008, 08:32 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire
What he did say was that he was taking photos of the number plaste and sending them to the DVLA to examine and that i should expect a letter from them saying that i will need to re-register the car and wait for a new registration number to be allocated, thus meaning i would need to change insurance, tax etc ........Needless to say i never did get that letter but have put the old plates back on now
Its rubbish like that which pisses me off, clearly just on a power trip - they can't have the car de-registered just because of a small number plate!
Old 10-12-2008, 09:16 AM
worzel

I know it may not make them much smaller, but you can trim the ends off of the plates.

As long as you have the same amount of room as you have at the top and bottom of the plate and replicate this on the ends, you will be fine.

The biggest problem with smaller plates is the spacing.

And, annoying though it is to get pulled (been there too ) it is a damned sight better than waking up to find your pride and joy missing, ringing the old bill to tell them it's gone and then their ANPR cameras not being able to read your number plate and stop the thieving chavvy gypo bastards?
Old 10-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

THis is all very sad - I guess we have been warned!
Old 10-12-2008, 10:28 AM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

How did you tackle the situation when your were pulled. !. I can't say I blame you, but could you have possibly been a little hostile towards plod when they pulled you ?. I have personally found being nice! gets you away with an awful lot

Either that or they were bored, and fancied doing some paperwork
Old 10-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Bronze Member

its unlikely rich was rude or arguementative, not in his nature especially as hes planning to be one of 'them' in the future
Old 10-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP
was that in Haywards Heath? i saw you about 6 or 7 cars back in the queue waiting to get out the end of Rocky Lane this morning (i think i was in front of your missus in the Corsa....)

if they're cracking down, then i'll expect a tug sometime soon
Yeah was up at the Priory....she was behind you and i should of followed, that way i wouldn't of being stopped.

Friend of mine got stopped in Hove...and that morning out of all the people they stopped 82 were over the drink drive limit
Old 10-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEvo5
How did you tackle the situation when your were pulled. !. I can't say I blame you, but could you have possibly been a little hostile towards plod when they pulled you ?. I have personally found being nice! gets you away with an awful lot

Just agreed with him as i was late for work

No paperwork was filled out, no details taken, just got told it will now be on record and if i get stopped agian with the same plate it will be £1000 fine
Old 10-12-2008, 09:17 PM
worzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEvo5

Just agreed with him as i was late for work

No paperwork was filled out, no details taken, just got told it will now be on record and if i get stopped agian with the same plate it will be £1000 fine
Hmmmmmmmmm.......... decisions decisions!

At least you've got that lovely show plate to cover it up!
Old 10-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

Are our show plates in legal font?

I ask because I drove home from the Coopers meet ( and past the Traffic division HQ in Polegate High Street) with the show plate still on the car!!

Just in case I forget next time and need to at least point out that, despite not showing any numbers, the font on the plate is legal.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Nice one it must be your AGE.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBARMAN

I ask because I drove home from the Coopers meet ( and past the Traffic division HQ in Polegate High Street) with the show plate still on the car!!
Classic
Old 11-12-2008, 11:32 AM
worzel

Quote:

Just in case I forget next time and need to at least point out that, despite not showing any numbers, the font on the plate is legal.
I have already thought about this and have printed a reminder card to stick on the speedo!

Will bring them to the next meet.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:45 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Well, I think i've riden my luck long enough with mine so I will change mine back at the weekend. Was thinking about it anyway.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Platinum Member

Great idea Steve!

What if I forget to stick the reminder on the speedo? Where do I stick the reminder about the reminder?
Old 11-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
Great idea Steve!

What if I forget to stick the reminder on the speedo? Where do I stick the reminder about the reminder?
We could get a bigger one for the WINDSCREEN drivers side ( like they in hospital car parks).
Old 11-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Crowman

Quote:
Great idea Steve!

I could think of somewere Keith
Old 11-12-2008, 08:23 PM
worzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowman
Quote:
Great idea Steve!

I could think of somewere Keith
Just slightly above and not impeding the previous one!

Where else