South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 27-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Bronze Member

Default Upgrade questions

Hi there, i got my scoob in september (bug eye wrx) already posted in the new members area and said hello.

I got a afterburner performance pack from scoobyworld for chistmas, consisting of :

Afterburner vortex Backbox

Afterburner Centre section

Afterburner de-cat pipe

and a Afterburner panel filter.

iv also bought myself a Afterburner Decat up-pipe , a genuine STI intercooler spray kit and a set of NGK iridium spark plugs (grade 7)

and finaly this morning i bought a set of Inovit 7.5" x 18" tarmac alloys and tyres in Antrhracite/Graphite.

next on the list is Black Diamond disks and pads all round and a ECUtek remap.

For now im just wondering if it worth me getting lowering springs, the reason i asked is that my last car i had (citroen C2 ) i fitted lowering springs (and also wheel spacers) and it absolutly destroyed my struts and wheel bearings after about 4 month so im a bit aprehensive.

Any comments would be great

cheers Nick
Old 27-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Bronze Member

Lowering and 18's will probably need arch work, mine rubs like a Bstard when cornering hard, and with rear passengers its a big nono,
Old 27-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Bronze Member

oh right ok, well im not up for arch work to be honest, im hoping it wont rub with standard suspension .....?
Old 27-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Lowering and 18's will probably need arch work, mine rubs like a Bstard when cornering hard, and with rear passengers its a big nono,
Nick, he's got a Newage so not sure if this is as much of an issue....

It will all depend on how much you lower - I've got Tein springs which lower ~30mm and 18's and have no problems with my Bugeye.

You're going to need the remap as soon as you decat the exhaust as your check engine light (also known as the CEL) will be permanently on until you do. I believe you can bypass the lambda sensors (think you should have 2 if the WRX is like the STi) to switch off the CEL but others will be able to advise as to the wisdom of doing this.

Cheers
Old 27-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Rest in peace Simon.

With those mods it needs mapping asap to save the engine not just turn the light off

Simon
Old 27-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

18's and lowering springs should be fine...as long as your new wheels are correct for your car.
Old 27-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Bronze Member

right ok thanks for all the advice.

im a bit confused as scoobyworld said the ECU will not need any mapping with this kit and will not bring up any fault lights, they said the only reason you would want a remap is to gain the most power out of the kit, but untill then the car would run perfectly but with only a little more power.

helpppppp lol thiis could get more expensive
Old 27-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster View Post
With those mods it needs mapping asap to save the engine not just turn the light off

Simon
I think its this package:
http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...roducts_id=388

So it leaves the main cat (downpipe) as standard - so no need for a remap?

I had to check, assumed it was a package with a decat downpipe too.....
Old 28-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Bronze Member

yer thats the package mate, no downpipe decat because i wanna keep the car as legal as possible!

the only other part iv got is the decat up pipe but im told that will make no diffence except spool up.....

cheers buddy
Old 28-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njz9046 View Post
the only other part iv got is the decat up pipe but im told that will make no diffence except spool up.....
the standard bugeye wrx uppipe has an EGT sensor (exhaust gas temp) in it. if the new uppipe doesn't have the hole for this, you'll need to bridge a resistor across the EGT plug otherwise it'll throw up the engine light as sensor will be missing.

easy to do, and i've got loads of the correct resistors spare if you need one.
Old 28-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Rest in peace Simon.

I cant really comment anymore as I used to do all of scoobyworlds mapping but they bought the software to do 01 to 05 a while back.

Imho is needs mapping
Old 28-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Bronze Member

Well I am planing on mapping it just wasn't planning on it yet, but if iv got to then I will.

Was also Looking at the Simtec ECU, anyone had any experience?

On the resistor side of things, yer I didn't know that, it doesn't have a sensor hole so if you have a resistor that would be great, pm me if paypal and how much u want for it buddy!
Old 28-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Rest in peace Simon.

simtek ecu - hmmmm may have installed a couple of hundred of them

you won't need a resistor if you went simtek as the simtek doesnt use the egt sensor.

SimTek is good, 2 maps, fast processor, maps are high definition and car will run very smooth.. option of antilag and launch control.
If you want antilag and launch control then also worth considering a Syvecs ecu which is only slightly more expensive on a newage but is even more advanced.

Simon
Old 28-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Platinum Member

Had simtek and have syvecs
Would go for a syvecs if you have the extra but the simtek was also good
As for a mapper would only use simon aka JGM
Old 28-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

For the level of mods you're talking about especially keeping the downpipe cat I'd just get the std ECU mapped, either ECU-Tek or open source - I use Simon and have only ever had/heard of good experiences with him, there are a few other well respected guys about.

I'm running syvecs now but only for the additional functionality it gives me - the car was running 370BHP on an ECU-Tek map without any issues (until I blew a bearing!)
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 28-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Bronze Member

You guys are so usefull! I'm guessing jolly green giant is JGM.... What sorta price is a remap from yourself mate? I need to have a wor with my insurance company first anyway , I'm only 20 so it takes alot of convincing and involves them raping my bank account lol
Old 28-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Rest in peace Simon.

lol @ raping bank account.

agree a remap of standard ecu would suit best for these mods..

Simon AKA Jolly Green Monster AKA JGM AKA occasionnally Jolly Green Gaint

www.JollyGreenMonster.co.uk

Please follow of Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jolly-...26125404073166
Old 28-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njz9046 View Post
You guys are so usefull! I'm guessing jolly green giant is JGM.... What sorta price is a remap from yourself mate? I need to have a wor with my insurance company first anyway , I'm only 20 so it takes alot of convincing and involves them raping my bank account lol
Pm simon (jolly green monster) and he'll give you different option with vering prices .I'd also give moley a pm or ring him at work Gary Moulson
gary.m@keithmichaels.co.uk
0845 013 8231
for your insurance
Think how far you are going to take the modding . if its upto 350bhp to 400bhp at most i'd go ecutek ,over that then it wont stop and investing in a aftermarket ECU will happen at some point or other .
Old 28-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Rest in peace Simon.

I don't think Keith Michaels do under 25 but worth an ask..

its alright for us oldies

www.JollyGreenMonster.co.uk

Please follow of Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jolly-...26125404073166
Old 28-12-2010, 02:41 PM
Bronze Member

Haha insurance wise im sticking with the company im with , I spent about 3 months looking around for insurance and 80% of companies wouldn't insure me, 1 company physically laughed when I said " no i dont have any no claims" lol and the others wanted £7000 pound at least and my future first born!!

so I'm happy with mine they just take abit of arm twisting on mods!

Last edited by Njz9046; 28-12-2010 at 02:43 PM.