South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 24-05-2011, 11:43 PM
Regular User

Default Hids

Can anybody recommend somewhere to get some xenon hids from for my wr1 as im finding the standard lights a bit pooh
Old 24-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Bronze Member

Hidsdirect.co.uk, been getting ones from there for last few years and had no problems.
What a differance hid's make could never go back to traditional bulbs
Old 25-05-2011, 09:33 PM
Gold Member

I brought hids years ago from HIDS4U.Good price,good kit,never had any problems and as above could never go back to traditional bulbs.
Old 25-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

You may fail an MOT though if the beam pattern is incorrect.
HIDS are also supposed to be self leveling, which they won't be on a retrofit.
Old 26-05-2011, 07:41 AM
Gold Member

Hi Scott,I've had hids for years and no problem with MOT's.Spoke to Jaffa,our resident MOT tester and he said headlight beam test was fairly basic.
Old 26-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

I know I read lots of horror stores about retrofit hids and their beam patterns so never bothered in the then
Old 26-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

Vosa checked mine when i was pulled last year... Couldnt say a word with mine being jdm factory ones
Old 26-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Bronze Member

i had retro fit hids on my old mazda mx6, the beam pattern was perfect and well defined, but the hid was fitted to a projector lense, i have seen hids in a std headlight with no definable pattern, and some the had good patterns.

as far as i can work out, to have hids, the headlight will need to be self leveling and/or a self cleaning mechanism.. but even my MOT tester cant get a concrete answer from vosa, at the moment, if the beam pattern is ok, its down to the testers discretion..
Old 26-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Silver Member

what youve got to remember is when a manufactorer fit hids the reflectors in the lights are designed for that type of reflection,your inner lights arnt!!!(hence the glare that aftermarket hids make)and please dont say they dont,because your never infront of your own car!
upgrade to some nightbreakers,or if its a huge issue do what i did and fit morrettes with nightbreakers in both units!twice the light!!
Old 26-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Gold Member

Had HID's dipped & main beam on my wagon, what a difference they made, it was like daylight with them all on lol, got mine from a group buy on scoobynet (Aztec performance), didn't have any problems with the MOT, just fitted them to the Monaro and the new kits are so much easier to fit now as you don't have to wire them to the battery with a relay
Old 26-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Mine are from Aztec too, and no problems passing MOT.

Seem fine retro-fitted in cars with projector lenses (yes i know i don't have self levelling or washers). Look bad on older reflector headlamps though.
Old 26-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Administrator

New rules for MOT regarding HID's, Airbags, CAT's and ECU's etc etc don't come into play until 1st Jan 2012 That's probably why everyone's passing at the moment.

Not sure if the exact wording of each failure has been written yet.

These will need finalising but so far it looks like:
Quote:
Steering lock operation - Steering locks not engaging when the ignition key is removed will fail.
Engine warning lamps, brake fluid warning lamps, ESP lamps, EPB lamps illumination - ANY of the above illuminated indicating a fault will fail.
TPMS (Tyre pressure monitoring systems) warning lamps - if illuminated indicating a fault, will fail.
Airbag/SRS lamp illumination - If this warning lamp is illuminated it will fail.
HID Headlamps - will be included in the new test, and will fail if they prove to be outside of the specified conditions... but the conditions and reasons for rejections haven't been written/decided yet.
Wiring - Any wiring (loomed or otherwise) that is damaged, or fitted in such a way that could cause damage to said wiring, or other systems will fail.
Engine mountings - Engine mountings will be a part of the test. incorrect mounting, corrosion in a prescribed area etc will fail.
PAS (Power assisted steering) fluid level will be tested.
Rear doors must open in the new test. Previously (and currently), if the tester feels he can access the testable items in the rear (seatbelts, prescribed areas etc) without needing the doors open, they don't need to open. This will now be a failure.
13 pin towbar sockets - tested for correct operation using a plug in testing tool.
Inappropriate modifications or repairs - The wording on this is quite vague at the moment, but if a major component has been modified, and that modification/repair makes the vehicle dangerous or seriously weakens the original component, expect it to fail.
ANY ball joint dust cover - The small rubber boots over ball joints must be intact and free or splits, tears or holes, or it fails.
All CVJ gaiters will be tested - Currently, only the front outer] CVJ gaiters are tested. This new rule extends it to inner and outer, front and rear.
A catalytic converter missing WILL be a reason for failure, regardless of whether or not the emissions limits are met.
Fuel pipe chaffing or damage - Currently they only fail when they are leaking, this rule means that any chaffing or rubbing causing damage will fail.
The braking imbalance limit is lowered to 30% across all axles.
Vehicles built post July 2010 will have to have at least 58% braking efficiency to pass (currently it's 50% for a dual circuit braking system)
Insecure batteries will become a failure
The main beam warning lamp must illuminate with the main beam lamps
All light switches must operate the corresponding lights immediately. No tapping, or wiggling to make it work!
Old 26-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Gold Member

I'm gonna have trouble opening my rear doors lol