South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 17-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Regular User

Default bad shudder

just started on way home from work seems ok when coming to a stop but when I'm in reverse it's really bad any ideas?
Old 17-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Silver Member

had any work done on it recently ?

not sure what it could be but have you checked gearbox diff and engine mounts ?
Old 17-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Regular User

no work done to it but did ave over 130 out of it on satday I will check mounts tom
Old 18-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Regular User

someone's said it could be my rear diff?
Old 18-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Silver Member

not that expensive secondhand, and not that hard to change if it is the diff.
(Done it a few times at the side of the road)
Old 20-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Regular User

checked rear diff all is good no broken engine or gearbox mounts!! talk to old owner and he said its got an alloy flywheel and ap clutch could it be the them as I hear the alloy flywheel ain't that good? pls help need to get car rite by next wkend for rr day and jap show
Old 20-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Silver Member

not sure, not experienced either myself. having said that, clutch judder is usualy when you are pulling away and stops the moment the clutch pedal is fully released and engine revs match gearbox revs.

is the judder more noise than vibration?
is it matched to engine revs or wheel speed?
is it there at all in neutral with engine running? (Try at idle and different revs, also try driving along and popping it in to neutral while still moving and frewheeling to see if it's still there then)
is the judder the same regardless of if you are on the gas, off the gas or braking?
do you feel the judder in the whole car when you are moving, or through the steering wheel, or pedals and which pedal brake or clutch?
is the gearstick flapping about at all?
does anything about the car's handling feel vague?
Old 20-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Regular User

I get a ill bit of judder wen pullin away but nothin like wen I'm goin backwards and it's thou the whole car the bloke I've got lookin at her said its the rear diff but other ppl in the scooby world say its clutch and flywheel which he said his looked at and all seems well! I just dont wanna go spend money on a diff to change it and find its not that!!
Old 20-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Silver Member

well, the clutch and clutch plate still turn in the same direction with a similar load in 1st gear as for reverse. If it were the source of the problem, logicaly there would be little difference in judder between 1st and reverse. If the source of the judder is something in the drive train, it's after the clutch which leaves gearbox, shafts and diff. Shafts would be more easily noticable by your mechanic when he looked under the car and started grabbing stuff, so that leaves rear diff or gearbox. diff is cheaper so I would say go for that.
secondhand diff, £50-75, fitting should be 2hrs max in a garage (Although someone that's done scoob diff's before could probably do it in 1)
I would say go for the diff
Old 20-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Regular User

I'm starting to think its clutch as from drivin home the jadder is gettin the same in 1st gear plus sometimes tryin to go into first don't always go in thanks for all the info mate
Old 21-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Regular User

oh well gearbox has let go now pickin one up tom hope this sorts out the judder for the rr day
Old 21-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Silver Member

i would suggest you check the rear diff is the right ratio for the replacement box before it goes in, just in case. your mechanic will know how but make sure he checks for you
Old 22-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Regular User

picked up gearbox same his can same yr as mine and same box bein fitted on Monday
Old 22-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Regular User

his car not can