South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Engine Management

Engine Management For all your mapping,diagnostics and electronics

Old 12-01-2014, 05:24 PM
Bronze Member

Default Getting abit more from the wrx

Hi sorry this properly been asked loads before! I'm thinking of getting my 02 bugeye wrx remapped this year but don't want to go mad haha! Would be happy with 250bhp or maybe tad more

What sort of mods would I need like I said I don't want to go mad as it is my daily and don't want it becoming to stressed and unreliable!!

Mods so far are:
cobra centre and rear
removed last cat
will be getting panel filter
also had new maff

I guess I would need a sports cat down pipe??
Do I need to remove pre cat in up pipe?
Or is there lots more than I thought?
Sorry about all the questions any help will be much appreciated
Old 12-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Bronze Member

all here for ya bud... im off to see duncan (racedynamix) soon hopefully

http://www.racedynamix.co.uk/remap/s...ewage-2-0-wrx/
Old 12-01-2014, 05:44 PM
Bronze Member

I would put decat down pipe and up pipe on there for sure :0 , that + a map!

You can go sportscat on down pipe if you want . But as long as you have your old center section with that cat, its an easy swap once a year .
Old 12-01-2014, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member

www.jollygreenmonster.co.uk
Old 12-01-2014, 06:51 PM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

My 'Stage 1' on the bugeye was the Powerstation package but there are cheaper and better ways to achieve the same.
I'd go for... 2.5 or 3' exhaust, turbo back, you can with go for a sports or de-cat depending on budget etc. you also need a de-cat up-pipe, try Alyn at ASPerformance for a set of 'Harvey' ported headers and matched up-Pipe. Stick to a decent panel filter (K & N or Cosworth) and avoid induction kits. Swap the fuel pump for a Walbro or similar 225l version and get it remapped! Also get some 7 grade plugs in (correctly gapped)
Also worth considering a 3 port boost solenoid, not always required but some cars appear to need them to hold the raised boost effectively. This should see you around 270bhp.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 12-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

Get all second hand PPP parts for a wrx cheap as chips and be tuning 260hp if that's all you want
Old 12-01-2014, 11:08 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for advice guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby doo View Post
Get all second hand PPP parts for a wrx cheap as chips and be tuning 260hp if that's all you want
Is the PPP pack just consist of sports cat down pipe centre and rear with panel filter or is there more?? Also do they remove pre cat on up pipe for PPP?
Old 13-01-2014, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member

Wouldn't bother with any PPP parts .
If you want it mot friendly leave the down pipe as is remove up pipe Catt and centre Catt and go see simon @ jolly green monster and you see 260 to 270 .
Old 13-01-2014, 02:18 PM

You could go for DIY de-Cat to really keep the costs down, all that's needed is a crowbar/steel rod and a dust mask!
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 13-01-2014, 08:59 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. J. View Post
Wouldn't bother with any PPP parts .
If you want it mot friendly leave the down pipe as is remove up pipe Catt and centre Catt and go see simon @ jolly green monster and you see 260 to 270 .
Isn't the down pipe cat the most restrictive also I thought you had to remove the down pipe to gain access to up pipe bolts??

Also do you know if the ppp still has the up pipe cat?
Old 13-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBugEye View Post
You could go for DIY de-Cat to really keep the costs down, all that's needed is a crowbar/steel rod and a dust mask!
Good idea haha!
Old 13-01-2014, 09:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBugEye View Post
My 'Stage 1' on the bugeye was the Powerstation package but there are cheaper and better ways to achieve the same.
I'd go for... 2.5 or 3' exhaust, turbo back, you can with go for a sports or de-cat depending on budget etc. you also need a de-cat up-pipe, try Alyn at ASPerformance for a set of 'Harvey' ported headers and matched up-Pipe. Stick to a decent panel filter (K & N or Cosworth) and avoid induction kits. Swap the fuel pump for a Walbro or similar 225l version and get it remapped! Also get some 7 grade plugs in (correctly gapped)
Also worth considering a 3 port boost solenoid, not always required but some cars appear to need them to hold the raised boost effectively. This should see you around 270bhp.
My stage 1 was done at powerststion as well but since all my mapping has been done by JGM and BlueBugEye is spot on, I went for a sports cat just saves messing about at mot time and I don't seemed to of lost much with it, it's a H&S one and been on about 7 years.
If it helps I have a near new Cosworth filter as I went FMIC for £15.
Old 13-01-2014, 09:57 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartingsteve View Post
My stage 1 was done at powerststion as well but since all my mapping has been done by JGM and BlueBugEye is spot on, I went for a sports cat just saves messing about at mot time and I don't seemed to of lost much with it, it's a H&S one and been on about 7 years.
If it helps I have a near new Cosworth filter as I went FMIC for £15.
Ok ill start looking for parts lol! is it really necessary to change fuel pump and plugs tho?
Old 14-01-2014, 06:36 AM

I'd definately consider fuel pump as a must, yours is at least 11 years old and you will be asking for a lot more fuel, the PPP has an uprated pump as a part of the kit as well so Prodrive/Subaru think it's needed as well.
Exhaust can be found second hand cheap enough although most second hand units are full decats, you should be able to get a used STI up-pipe cheap enough from a breakers (these don't have the cat) with £15 for the filter from Steve and a new pump your looking at around £400-500 in parts tops. If you're doing the work yourself or getting a non-specalist garage to do it make sure to get hold of some new turbo studs just in case as well as all the up-pipe/turbo gaskets.
My car also needed a 3 port boost solenoid as the OE 2 port couldn't control boost properly and limited the map to 260, when they swapped it I saw 275 with the 3' system, up-pipe filter, pump and map.
Something to consider with the aftermarket de-cat up-pipes is that some (e.g. Magnex) are very large bore and hurt spool up, my 'Harvey' up-pipe specced for 450bhp is narrower than my old Magnex pipe!
Old 14-01-2014, 09:18 AM
Authorised Trader

only the 2.0STi had a fuel pump upgrade as part of PPP.........

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 14-01-2014, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan881 View Post
Isn't the down pipe cat the most restrictive also I thought you had to remove the down pipe to gain access to up pipe bolts??

Also do you know if the ppp still has the up pipe cat?
Yes but I did say mot friendly , I'd find a friendly mot'er and ditch all the catts
Old 14-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member

simple mods and ebay is your freind here for parts.

Fuel pump is a must £70
Plugs grade 7 £35
2nd hand full system 2.5 inch prob around max £150
decat up pipe i just sold one for £10
panel filter £15 already offered and i just made 343hp on that filter
jgm map £?
Job done
now your turbo is maxed.
so next is one of the vf range or td05 16g front entry with set off 550 injectors and sti tmic but all this for to break over the 300bhp and above
Old 14-01-2014, 02:55 PM
Platinum Member

Poeple are forgetting op only wanted 250bhp hence why I said leave the down pipe .
Think the best attack is choose your mapper and tell them what your wanting and take their advise
Old 14-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

Sell it buy an sti job done lol
Only kidding I still think buy 2nd hand PPP parts as they where 261 claimed and prob do all that for 150 now.
Old 14-01-2014, 05:14 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby doo View Post
Sell it buy an sti job done lol
Only kidding I still think buy 2nd hand PPP parts as they where 261 claimed and prob do all that for 150 now.
261 claimed yes, never seen one that make that figure though. Most were 245-250bhp.

I'd just get a decat uppipe, put a new fuel pump on it, set of PFR7B plugs and get a proper remap. The PPP map is just a crude way of raising the boost, not worth the hassle of paying for the daughterboard and then opening the ECU up, soldering wires just to fit it. You'll get a much better result with a proper remap.

CJ is right that 250bhp can easily be had with the standard downpipe.
Old 14-01-2014, 07:15 PM

i got 239 just by putting my japspeed back box on mine and that was at SRR!
Old 14-01-2014, 07:25 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all this advise and info your all being very helpful
I just need to start ordering parts also going to speak to jgm at some point and see what he says as ill most likely use him.

I just checked the racedynamix link leeroyv put up on there it states that a filter, sports down pipe cat, remove centre cat and 3 port solenoid should see 270bhp??
also If I do remove up pipe cat I read somewhere that I should not refit temperature sensor is this right?
Old 14-01-2014, 07:27 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon_Si View Post
i got 239 just by putting my japspeed back box on mine and that was at SRR!
doesn't sound to bad just for box back! was that mapped by JGM at SRR?