South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > News, Info, Rules and introductions > News and Announcements

News and Announcements Includes Forum Rules.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:57 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Default SES - 10 years old today!

Yes, this little Subaru community has made it to 10 years old today. Started on September 1st, 2008 by our former admin team (ThePieMan, Crowman and Worzel) for those made homeless when the old Sussex Scoobies forum died, we grew quickly. We've had some bumps along the way, as must forums seem to have occasionally but we're still here all these years later.

Scott and I took over as Admins in 2012 and have tried to keep things going. It's coincidence that there's a current thread running about how quiet the forum is, but it is just representative of what social media has become. Back in 2008, Facebook was nothing much more than a few holiday snaps and a lot of pokes The vast amount of technical knowledge and event history on this forum - all being searchable by new members, will hopefully ensure we are around for years to come... try searching for a technical post on facebook from 5+ years ago!

Anyway, without this sounding like some daft speech, I wanted to just thank all the mods we've had during that time for helping out, organising events etc - with a special mention to Big E who has organised events for pretty much all of that time - including our Nurburgring trips, which always seems to form the highlight of our calendar.

So, as we have a lot of newer members who weren't around at the start, I thought I'd post up a few threads - today will be the first, with hopefully another tomorrow/Monday, with a few (ok, that's a fib) photos from some of the things we've done as a club during that time. A bit of a trip down memory lane, if you like. Today will be SES's 'early years' - from 2008-2011. Hopefully it will trigger a few 'cor blimey, I forgot about that' moments

And finally, a big thanks to all of our members. This club revolves around you guys and girls..

2008 - Yes, McRae Gathering was August 31st, 1 day before SES went live, but it was already in the making as Sussex Scoobies had gone offline...

2009 - Some of these I can't even remember!

No idea where this old banner went!?

2010 - a great year.... Ring trip, Brands Hatch photoshoot & track day, trip to Prodrive, Modified Live, SES tunnel run, a big turnout for Japbash, plus all our normal monthly meets....

2011 - All our usual events plus a big turnout for Dad's Day Out at Dunsfold, raising money for charity with the help of Hammonds Subaru and a SES open day at Roger Clark Motorsport.

And finally, one from the 555 Wagon Squadron!

2012 - 2014 should appear tomorrow, with 2015 onwards next week....
Old 01-09-2018, 01:10 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Nice one Steve

Loads of memories above..

Thanks to you and Scott for doing the admin and keeping SES alive..

Last edited by BIG"E"; 01-09-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:48 PM
Formerly STIWR1

Yes - thanks Steve and Scott - great photos there. Looks like some very good times had.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:49 PM

Having joined July 2014 I shall wait to take a look back at some of the events I remember. Great to see what you guys were up to before my time, nice to see cars and faces I know now back in the earlier times, long before I had ever ventrued in to Subaru ownership.

You folks do a great job in keeping this forum going, putting in as much time and effort as you can despite very different personal and family lives now compared to how you might have been living 10 years ago I am sure.

What ever might come of Internet forums like this and the continual rise of social media and the changing ways enthusiasts come together, I’m sure most would agree the friendships and memories made here will continue regardless.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:58 PM

As above really.

This forum would be nothing without you guys who started it all off and have continued to keep it going.

Steve and Scott as admin, organising events etc, Big E sorting Germany and lots of other events.

In the few years I have been a member I can honestly say I think I have made a few friends for life, and also been to some fantastic events and had some life memories made.

With the distractions of everyday life, being able to jump in the Scoob, drive to great events and meet up with good friends and like minded people who all share a common interest is a welcome reprieve.

Here’s hoping that we can continue to gauge interest in the club, keep good events coming for all, and continue to keep going in this ever changing social world.

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 01-09-2018, 02:20 PM
Platinum Member

I still remember my first meet with my silver classic at some random pub lunch i didnt speak much back then but there was some nice cars back then .

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 01-09-2018, 04:45 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Nice one Steve. Some great memories there.

I can confirm that this is still one of the best forums out there. Since moving away from Subaru's I have joined a few other forums, but nothing like this one. They are all a lot larger, less personal and nowhere near as helpful. Funnily enough I said to Scott earlier today that I should never have sold the hawk, and this site is another reason I wish I'd kept it.

Happy Birthday SES!!!
Old 01-09-2018, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

Although I've only owned mine since 2012 I've been a member since the start having attended a few meets as a passenger with Scott, the fact there is so many of us still here since 2008 speaks volumes. Here's to another 10 years.

Last edited by Red Baron; 21-09-2018 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Incorrect use of their instead of there, what an eejit.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:49 PM
Gold Member

As already said,thanks to everyone who keeps this site going. Special thanks to Steve for posting memories of times past. A few pictures of my old WRX there. And yes Steve,you should never have sold your Hawk.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
As already said,thanks to everyone who keeps this site going. Special thanks to Steve for posting memories of times past.
No problem Terry, a few hours spent searching through old photo albums on my computer and old threads on here was quite nice - remembering many good times we've had in the past. I'm sure there'll be plenty more in the future too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
The fact their is so many of us still here since 2008 speaks volumes. Here's to another 10 years.
That's something that I think is great, so it is nice that other people see it too. The amount active of members we still have that have moved on from scoobs into other cars, yet keep coming back to SES (and our events) speaks volumes and something we can all be chuffed with

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
I still remember my first meet with my silver classic at some random pub lunch i didnt speak much back then.
It's not that we were ever unsociable, we just needed a translator for your Scottish
Old 01-09-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
I still remember my first meet with my silver classic at some random pub lunch i didnt speak much back then but there was some nice cars back then .
I remember that meeting, I spoke to you it was at The Robin Hood the place we are going to next week...
Old 01-09-2018, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
I remember that meeting, I spoke to you it was at The Robin Hood the place we are going to next week...
And by magic heres a pic mine at the end 😀

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 02-09-2018, 11:05 AM
Gold Member

actually quite scary how many years have passed, and so quickly! have met some good friends through this forum! top job lads! those pictures bring back a few good memories aswell.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
And by magic heres a pic mine at the end 😀
That looks like the Crow & Gate pub car park...
http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/v...ead.php?t=9147

You could have smiled

Old 06-09-2018, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Some great memories!!
Old 06-09-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBARMAN View Post
Some great memories!!
Who said that????

Hello mate I hope you are both well..
Old 06-09-2018, 10:52 PM

We should have a reunion meeting..

At the pub most of us old timers first meet..

What is the Beachy Head like nowadays?

Or here the venue of the first SES meeting http://www.olddunningsmill.co.uk/

The 28th September was the date, there was 22 scoobs on the list..

Last edited by BIG"E"; 06-09-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:29 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:

At the pub most of us old timers first meet..

What is the Beachy Head like nowadays?

Or here the venue of the first SES meeting http://www.olddunningsmill.co.uk/

The 28th September was the date, there was 22 scoobs on the list..

Wow I remember that one.
I had my blue one then before my first green one!
Jaffa was at that one too
I’d be up for that

Last edited by scooberblue; 07-09-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:35 PM
Gold Member

I would be up for reunion meet if the date suited.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:15 PM
Authorised Trader

best of luck for the future guys........

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 07-09-2018, 08:05 PM
Gold Member

Time does fly, glad to still be a member even without a Scooby
Old 07-09-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
2012 - 2014 should appear tomorrow, with 2015 onwards next week....
Well considering I posted that last Saturday, it was clearly also a fib... but it's been a busy week!
Old 07-09-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Nice idea, and having it at Dunnings Mill seems quite fitting if we can make it happen

One of the photos above was taken at that pub, for the eagle eyed amongst you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by asperformance View Post
best of luck for the future guys........
Thanks Alyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granby View Post
Time does fly, glad to still be a member even without a Scooby
And that's one of the things that makes SES different I guess, people want to remain even after moving onto other cars - as invariably most of us will do at some point.

I seriously considered moving on from the scoob within the last year, into something different (I was thinking fast BMW or even Boxster/Cayman) but in the end decided to keep the old girl a while longer. Scratched the newer car itch with a replacement daily which, whilst it won't set the world alight, is still a little entertaining (for a diesel). Maybe I should sort some pics of that too for the non-scoobs section....
Old 21-09-2018, 10:22 PM
Silver Member

Old, aren't we?

Great pics. Do we still have our Scoobs? Mine must have done ooh, 500 miles between its last two MOTs
Old 21-09-2018, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRS View Post
Old, aren't we?

Great pics. Do we still have our Scoobs? Mine must have done ooh, 500 miles between its last two MOTs
Don't feel quite so bad about my mileage last year now.

Old 24-09-2018, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

Some great memories there...good luck for the future!
Old 26-09-2018, 04:04 PM
Gold Member

Great to see some pictures of the early meets (though I can't see my car, boooo! )

Brilliant to see SES still going when so many of the other forum-based clubs have shut down.