South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 07-08-2019, 06:09 PM
Regular User

Default Baffled Sump

Hey guys,

Few of you have recommended I get a baffled sump due to track use of my car. Is this a visible modification to the engine bay?

Reason I ask is because of an accident back in 2017 insurance companies are unable to offer me reasonable insurance under a modified policy. I'm happy to bench getting coilovers for another year, but concerned that a baffled sump is probably something I do really need to protect the engine. So if it's theoretically not visible upon inspection I might be able to avoid getting a specific modified policy for what I am assuming is a very minor modification?

Thanks all for your advice! 😬😬

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2019, 06:59 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Your two options are either a sump baffle plate (cheaper) or a proper baffled sump.

The plate would probably be noticeable as I expect the edges will be visible between the block and the standard sump. But I'd still be surprised if an insurance assessor would notice something like this.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Subaru-Impr...j25/1523877603

The better but more expensive option is a proper baffled sump - they look visually identical to the Subaru OEM sump if you get the right one, it's just got the right gubbins inside
http://lateralperformance.co.uk/prod..._single_scroll

Expect to pay 400-500 though before it's installed!
Old 07-08-2019, 07:29 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
Your two options are either a sump baffle plate (cheaper) or a proper baffled sump.

The plate would probably be noticeable as I expect the edges will be visible between the block and the standard sump. But I'd still be surprised if an insurance assessor would notice something like this.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Subaru-Impr...j25/1523877603

The better but more expensive option is a proper baffled sump - they look visually identical to the Subaru OEM sump if you get the right one, it's just got the right gubbins inside
http://lateralperformance.co.uk/prod..._single_scroll

Expect to pay 400-500 though before it's installed!
Cheers for the info Steve! Is Lateral Performance a recommended supplier then? 😬 Might give them a call, as I'd rather go the completely camouflaged route!

Been told by insurers that next year I shouldn't have trouble getting a decent quote, it's just the combination of events falling too recent for their underwriters to be competitive ☹️

Old 07-08-2019, 08:16 PM

RCM baffled sumps are well worth the money and do a superb job - and look pretty standard besides an extra sump plug hole for catch can returns

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 07-08-2019, 09:51 PM

Ive got a Cosworth baffled sump plate,

The RCM looks virtually the same and you cant see any visual difference from original when fitted..

A worth while inexpensive mod..

I havent got an extra sump plug hole?
Old 07-08-2019, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Baffled sump no one would know till off in there hands. I did the full oem twin scroll simple change better baffling, oil pick up is in a better place and being half moon shape helps towards oil sloshing, cheapest option that is better than a baffle plate and no insurer would pick up as all oem. But still a full baffled sump works better.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:10 AM
Gold Member

would insurance companies even have an issue with a baffled sump???
Old 08-08-2019, 08:08 AM
Authorised Trader

we do various options and pricing is normally more than competitive..........

0191-4103770

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 08-08-2019, 02:51 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by munk View Post
I wouldn't have thought so, and its also the kind of thing that you'd easily be able to deny knowledge of as its not an obvious modification. Was like that when i bought it....

But... if you happened to get a picky insurance assessor who noticed it and wrote it on their report, and if the insurer saw something on that report that wasn't declared.... would they try to use it to wiggle out of a claim? At a guess, some would, some wouldn't. But i guess you don't want to find out the hard way...
Old 08-08-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munk View Post
A baffled sump surely just enhances the the engine and does not increase performance.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

No way an insure would spot it unless was full alloy type, most are oem pans with infills. its like asking to know if it had forges pistons or rods,
Old 11-08-2019, 10:27 AM
Regular User

Thanks everyone for the comments and discussion! In the end I did go for a modified insurance policy because I want coilovers too...I'll probably get a full baffled sump fitted at the same time 😬

Old 11-08-2019, 10:35 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
A baffled sump surely just enhances the the engine and does not increase performance.
Same with brakes though, it's considered a potential enhancement to the car and/or value...as well as indicating the owner might wish to drive more animatedly.

Basically it's insurance companies flexing and asking for their cut of your monies ✂️💲