South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Showroom > Members Car Profiles (Non-Subaru)

Members Car Profiles (Non-Subaru) Show & Tell Your Pride & Joy (Non-Subaru)

Old 09-02-2013, 02:20 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Default Audi S4

Not a scoob but I do like these, and my third now. Very understated, but even this less tuned one feels so nice to drive and very quick. With instant power delivery with virtually no lag, and significantly more pull/grunt that even my remapped hawk STI 2.5. On paper its just 352bhp and 400+ torque. But power delivery is a delight on it and pulls very strong in the upper range as well.

Bmw 335I' get great review, but Audi had the twin turbo thing cracked years ago. This has the same/more power than a remapped 335I, with same/better power delivery, better sound track, better handling, better breaks, and has AWD. Oh and a fraction of the price and arguably more reliable.

Few goodies on this one to get it to this power, but also coilovers, Movit breaks, full milltek.

Bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing, but its what I also like about them...

Old 09-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

Very nice, sits low on the archers, what size wheels are they?
Old 09-02-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolesroor View Post
Very nice, sits low on the archers, what size wheels are they?
Cheers, running on 19's. I thought I might have to wind the coilovers up, but seems to clear all speed bumps and anything you would need for daily driving. And clears on hard cornering as well. For coilovers they are very compliant, firm but not OTT.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:57 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

You missed off the price again Rob

Joking aside, nice car and probably better built than the newer ones too. Looks really clean. Have fun
Old 09-02-2013, 04:18 PM
Silver Member

very nice mate!! ive always fancied the rs4 in blue or the rs6 estate but il never afford one! audi i find alot better than bmw being awd and dont seem as heavy when driving?? altho both are very nice but are both over engineered and my lack of knolege with machanics found them hard to work on! not only that you only see posers in bmw's unless its on a track lol audi are capable of some serious power gains! was half tempted by a s2 always liked these just dont take it to an audi garage unless u have no worries with how costly they are, have a look on yt at the sound of these with a milltech they sound mentall
Old 09-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Silver Member

erm it does have a miltech
Old 09-02-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonner View Post
erm it does have a miltech
Sure does and straight through, one of the nicest sound tracks on a car I've ever had. Has a real howl to it on full chat.

It is a heavy car, but just feels solid for it, and with its current suspension and breaks will still do the job any bit as good as a lighter car.

Mines just a stage stage2+ but a properly sorted and setup Stage 3, running hybrid KO4 turbo's is truly immense and there really isn't much on the road that can touch one including lambo's, modded M5's. And yet will still drive very nice on light throttle and low boost and pull from very low revs in any gear, and happily take all the abuse you can throw at it. You tube has some great clips of these things pitched against allot of top metal.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:23 PM
Silver Member

yeah mate good stuff them!! when i had my a3 me mate had the s3 with the k04 along with other mods running just over 400bhp and bigger torque it really was a savage motor plus the internals were standard and coping very well! i remember reading about mine being the agu engine was highly tunable having stronger internals and as highly tunable as the toyota supra?? as you say the sound of the full milltek on these is unbeatable just like subaru burbal!! i used to spend hours listening to the rs4! sad but i was dreaming of getting one lol
Old 09-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Looks good Rob, although not sure about the pimped up white leather. But then I've never been a fan of leather interior's.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Looks good Rob, although not sure about the pimped up white leather. But then I've never been a fan of leather interior's.
Take no notice Rob after all he drives a skoda. Nice straight looking car you have there Rob.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Gold Member

very nice rob,love the 19" wheels and the way it sits.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Silver Member

im tempted to get one a blue avant s4 hmmm
Old 09-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyricer5 View Post
im tempted to get one a blue avant s4 hmmm
Get a volvo john . you know you want one
Old 09-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Bronze Member

i was toying with the idea of an s4 but when i looked in to it the prices to fix it i.e trhere prone to turbos dying and its an engine out job
Old 10-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Silver Member

I love these motors! I always fancied a yellow avant version with gloss black wheels!
Old 10-02-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey05 View Post
i was toying with the idea of an s4 but when i looked in to it the prices to fix it i.e trhere prone to turbos dying and its an engine out job
Get one with the turbo's already done like this one ... These things are generally very reliable, with MRC and AMD happily tuning then to 500/500 on the original bottom ends with 150k miles on the clock, which are the same as the RS4 lump with forged internals and typical Audi over engineering.

Engine out sounds horrendous, but a speciaist would probably whip one out in a couple of hours. But agree they ain't no scoob when it comes to maintenance or running costs. It was a 43K car when it was new, and carries supercar bills as a result. But thakfully the likes of MRC and AMD, and second hand parts help to keep it managable. But if something lets go in a big way, then the car will be sold for spares or repaires. I know its a bit of a contradiction to above, but I've had a quick tot up of the service book and receipts and including the original purchase receipt and general bills I reckon this car has cost around 100K in the 14 years its been on the planet....

When you consider the above, or what it truly costs to run a luxury super saloon. The way I look at this car is... if I get a years motoring with nothing more than an oil change etc, plus scrapage price, I'd be OK about it. And If I get 2 years motoring I'd be happy. And If I decide to sell in the meantime and get back close to what it owes me I'd also be happy.

Its all relative, but still very cheap performance motoring for what you get...
Old 10-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Really like that Rob. Savage but understated
Old 10-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Platinum Member

Looks a good one rob, going tothe ring in it?
Old 18-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Bronze Member

dont think so as its on ebay me thinks
Old 18-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Item number 390545118105....
Old 18-02-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:

well at least I know who 2 of the watchers are Just playing at it really, as I've just inherted the inlaws cast off car which I'm not sure what to do with it. If the Audi can be sold and turn a couple of quid, it will sold else its a keeper - Well atleast for Marham and my 24hr le-man weekend away.

For me personally no other 4 door super saloon comes to close to this either jap of German. So no sane reason to sell really, other than above.

Last edited by RobEvo5; 18-02-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 19-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Gold Member

Cant believe you selling already rob ......actually yes i can lol , im sure the inlaws car is nothing sporty, so whats the next itch to scratch????
Old 19-02-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemp View Post
Cant believe you selling already rob ......actually yes i can lol , im sure the inlaws car is nothing sporty, so whats the next itch to scratch????
You know me mate, Plenty of cars I've regretted selling - I just get itchy feet.

Inlaws is a boring oil burner, and just playing at the idea of keeping that and get a weekend TVR/Elise/911,classic car, and something that will hold risidual value tucked up in garge most of the time. But Enjoying the S4 too much, and can't see it selling unless I'm willing to look at offers of 4K or just under So will let this auction run just to get the idea out of my head, and just be content to keep the S4.
Old 19-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

And I thought you were Jason Statham........

Old 13-03-2013, 07:05 PM

Sold and replaced with this

Old 13-03-2013, 07:51 PM
Silver Member

Old 13-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Bronze Member

I'm sure there is a plan somewhere here....
Old 13-03-2013, 09:30 PM

Method in the madness. The astra was going to get PX'd by the inlaws, so snapped it up at a good price, having just 1 owner 35K miles, mint and returns 60mpg. It makes for very sensible, cheap motoring. Work is a little volatile at the moment so right now, I'm happy to take a little time out from performance motoring and put some more into the piggybank.

But Plan at some point is to get a garage queen, weekend toy to compliment it or a project of some sort.

If its not a weekend toy it will either be another S4 but with K04 turbos,RS4 bi turbo, or a blob STI which I can't help but keep looking at.
Old 13-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Very stylish Rob.....sounds like we need to get you up the pub for a good talking too......
Old 13-03-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Very stylish Rob.....sounds like we need to get you up the pub for a good talking too......
It don't pretend to be anything other than what it is, boring, dull, practical, cheap, inconspicuous mile mucher, which I kind'a like in a bizzarre way as a second car. But its not me and not a petrol heads car, and I will need something to compliment this Or I'll go stir crazy.!

Can't do this Friday at pub, but your probably right, and need a slap...
Old 14-03-2013, 07:45 AM
Gold Member

With the rising costs of fuel and taxes it's a good move and puts money in the bank for a rainy day. I expect you'll be bored in a couple of months though Rob as you have a passion for cars. Must admit I've been tempted by a blob sti as I miss my old one so much, but have just gone the Elise route. Very cheap costs to run and maintain although expensive to buy. Hopefully it will not lose any value which you can't say for many cars.

Look forward to seeing what you go for next!
Old 14-03-2013, 08:55 AM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEvo5 View Post
It don't pretend to be anything other than what it is, boring, dull, practical, cheap, inconspicuous mile mucher, which I kind'a like in a bizzarre way as a second car. But its not me and not a petrol heads car, and I will need something to compliment this Or I'll go stir crazy.!

Can't do this Friday at pub, but your probably right, and need a slap...

Well its driving me stir crazy, though for me its been a year now with no STI. Every morning when I leave the house I still wish I was in the scoob, probably more now than before. Just gotta keep saving and get one sorted. Bet you dont last more than a month tho mate!
Old 14-03-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby_Greg View Post
With the rising costs of fuel and taxes it's a good move and puts money in the bank for a rainy day. I expect you'll be bored in a couple of months though Rob as you have a passion for cars. Must admit I've been tempted by a blob sti as I miss my old one so much, but have just gone the Elise route. Very cheap costs to run and maintain although expensive to buy. Hopefully it will not lose any value which you can't say for many cars.

Look forward to seeing what you go for next!
Funny you should mention Elise - There is a high probability I'll take the same route for all the reasons you mention, cheap to run for a proper little sports car, big grin factor, and although the intial outlaw is not that cheap, I've only seen them appreciate in value in the last couple of years. So it wouldn't bother me having it tucked up in my garage most of the time, and seems to be the only way to keep a car in tip top condition these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Well its driving me stir crazy, though for me its been a year now with no STI. Every morning when I leave the house I still wish I was in the scoob, probably more now than before. Just gotta keep saving and get one sorted. Bet you dont last more than a month tho mate!
I loved the Audi and is the better car in IMO. But I do like the relative low running costs of a scoob, miss the burble and club aspect of them, and like to tinker with cars, and can't help but keep looking at them. So it will be a close race between either the above elise route or back to 1 car and a newer age scoob.

Also the problem I'm finding right now which is another factor in the thought process, is our roads are in such a poor state (Almost 3rd world country poor), coupled with very little oppertunity to have a spirited drive, that having a sports saloon/car of any description is almost pointless now. You'd do much better with a dodgem car.
Old 14-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Gold Member

If you fancy trying an Elise I'm happy to bring it to one of the meets. They are completely impractical, basic... but a lot more fun than I was expecting!
Old 14-03-2013, 12:43 PM

Love the Elises. They were something I seriously contemplated at one point. The fact that they are easy and cheap to run is great, although they hold their value, but i guess thats why. An exige would be nice too!!