South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Wheels,Tyres & Brakes

Old 05-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Regular User

Question Prodrive 330mm Brake issues??

Hi I have a 2001 WRX Bugeye Wagon. It has PPP and also the Prodrive 330mm brake upgrade on the front.
I have had the car about 2 years and for the duration of it's life it has had noisey brakes. I have had them checked a couple of times and no one has found fault with them but the noise prevails and is pretty irritating. It is kind of a grinding noise at lower speeds with a bit of a squeak to.
I have read somewhere that the pads could be 'too aggressive' and to be honest I do get a lot of brake dust on the front wheels in between washes. I havent done track days and dont drive it very hard. Neither the did the previous owner.
On a side note but may be related I am not that impressed by the braking performance either. I haven't driven one without the prodrive brakes on it but the stopping power doesn't 'wow me' and never has. I thought they would be better...
Can anyone suggest what the noise might be or some things to check for myself as garages haven't been that helpful so far?
Cheers!
Old 05-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

What discs and pads do you have?
Old 05-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

As Ian, says, it could be down to poor discs/pads - have you had to change any parts in the last two years?

Even if they aren't great, you shouldn't get grinding noises though. Have you checked the general condition of the pads/discs and that the pistons aren't sticky?
Old 06-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
What discs and pads do you have?
Not sure what discs and pads are on it. I'm pretty inexperienced in this area so not too sure how to find out either. They look like one piece rotors and bells so I had assumed they were the original discs from when the Prodrive kit was first put on but this may be a pretty niaive assumption. They are grooved in the same way was images I have seen of the original Prodrive fitment.
How would I check what pads are on it? I have the branded Prodrive calipers but have never done any maintenance or checks on brakes in the past. Is it fairly easy to DIY, take calipers off and examine pads/find out what pads are in them?
Old 06-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
As Ian, says, it could be down to poor discs/pads - have you had to change any parts in the last two years?

Even if they aren't great, you shouldn't get grinding noises though. Have you checked the general condition of the pads/discs and that the pistons aren't sticky?
Not had to change any parts in the past 2 years. Had them checked three times due to the noise but was just told that the pads maybe "too aggressive". Not sure if that means too hard or what??
Discs appear in good condition, ie no crakes. What else should I look for?
How would I check whether pistons are sticky?

Last edited by BigKev; 06-10-2012 at 09:28 PM. Reason: forgot to answer all Q's

Tags
330mm, brakes, prodrive, uprgrade