South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:15 PM
Gold Member

If you didn't enjoy any of tonight's episode then I genuinely believe you're out to hate the new show and completely unreasonable. I can recommend this book for you.

There was some really good stuff in there... even the guests weren't ****!
Old 12-06-2016, 09:37 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

What a fantastic episode. Enjoyed every minute.

It's changed my perception of the focus too. I had ruled it out due to its bland looks but gotta be worth a drive.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:02 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I had ruled it out due to its bland looks but gotta be worth a drive.
And an 11 month wait ?
Old 12-06-2016, 10:04 PM

Enjoyed it tonight. I'd still remove Chris E though. Not that I'm a hater but he doesn't seem to fit.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:11 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott.T View Post
And an 11 month wait ?
Yup, that's the other downside!
Old 13-06-2016, 05:59 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Much better tonight but then two of the reports were by proper motoring journalists! Bin Chris and use Matt for the studio stuff and use The other guys for the proper road tests.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 13-06-2016, 07:09 AM
Gold Member

Yes, much better. Enjoyed the Ken Block drive.
Old 13-06-2016, 08:30 AM
Gold Member

Went up for the recording of the best of British show episode last week (yet to be seen)and enjoyed it and must admit chris evans was ok and calmed down a lot from the first episode were he was very ott and was very friendly and chatty to the audience.
Old 13-06-2016, 09:27 AM
Regular User

Havent watched episode 3 yet but lasts weeks segment in Africa was proper good!
Old 04-07-2016, 03:37 PM
Silver Member

Evans quits!

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...ter-one-series
Old 04-07-2016, 03:40 PM
Formerly Taomyn

Still not convinced I'd want to watch the next series unless they truly re-invent the show and not simply "tweak" the old format.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytes View Post
good good !

Chris Harris and Matt coupled with the others are more than capable of making the show unique again

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 04-07-2016, 04:37 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdlangy1 View Post
good good !

Chris Harris and Matt coupled with the others are more than capable of making the show unique again
Agreed. I'd read last week that LeBlanc had issued an ultimatum that it was him or Evans for series two, but not both.

Interesting timing, considering he was in the news this morning as being investigated for a sexual assault that took place in the 1990s...
Old 04-07-2016, 05:26 PM
Gold Member

If you watched this week's Extra Gear, it was abundantly clear that was coming as Chris Evans did not feature at all.

Neither did Eddie Jordan, so I would guess he will not be back either.

They had all the others sat around talking about their highlights of the series, so I took from it that they will be the team for the future.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytes View Post

about time to...
Old 04-07-2016, 06:40 PM

Jordan and Schmitt next to go hopefully.
Harris is the only 'driver' you need.

I think the banter will be back in the next series with the remainder.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:11 PM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

I just tried to watch episode 3 as there was nothing else on other than grown men (and women) grunting at each other while toffs quaffed champagne.

Honestly how did the BBC allow such rubbish to actually make the air.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 04-07-2016, 08:00 PM

Glad he is gone, I think as a result the other presenters might be able to relax a little and work well as a team without feeling overshadowed by the Evan's ego.

I have grown to quite like Le Blanc, and we all know the talents of Harris make him stand out, however inexperienced a mainstream presenter he may be, he does a great job.

I agree with Scott about Jordan and Schmitt, whilst she can drive the awful acting and scripted comedy from both of them is false and poorly delivered, they aren't natural for the type of show Top Gear is, or at least was!
Old 04-07-2016, 08:53 PM
Regular User

I enjoyed a lot of the segments in the series, it just feels like theres no stand out presenter or leader if that makes sense? Just loads of different presenters mixed together.
Old 20-03-2017, 07:06 AM
Platinum Member

New series isn't looking too bad so far.

Anyone recognise some of the roads and a particular hairpin in the Golf Club sport bit last night?
Old 20-03-2017, 08:52 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Yep, was thinking that whilst watching, although i didn't notice our Cochem hairpin? I thought some of the footage was on the backroad from Hohe Acht forest car park down to Adenau (comes out next to Lidl).

Enjoying the new series so far, although they need to be careful... the DB11/Merc S63 AMG feature was superb, right up until the point where they felt they needed to act out a police chase. Too silly and fake from that point onwards. Oh, and the fact that the Ring footage was chopped up into silly sequences, but I guess your average viewer won't know that. There was a bit where Sabine was chasing a 911 GT3 and she overtook it through the long last corner. But the previous shot was of her catching the same car in Aremberg, only a couple of mins into the lap.

Still a good watch though.
Old 20-03-2017, 09:24 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
Oh, and the fact that the Ring footage was chopped up into silly sequences, but I guess your average viewer won't know that. There was a bit where Sabine was chasing a 911 GT3 and she overtook it through the long last corner. But the previous shot was of her catching the same car in Aremberg, only a couple of mins into the lap.
I haven't been to the Ring and I noticed how chopped up the lap was! Sensible use of Sabine though: maximum driving time and minimum studio time (I thought she looked really awkward in the studio last season)

I thought the studio bits seemed better in last night program. Seemed a bit more natural and not quite as scripted as the first two episodes. For the most part I have really enjoyed this new season, much more watchable than the vast majority of The Grand Tour...

Last edited by tbtstt; 20-03-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 20-03-2017, 09:33 AM
Formerly Taomyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I thought the studio bits seemed better in last night program. Seemed a bit more natural and not quite as scripted as the first two episodes.
Ok, so maybe I might try the recent 2 episodes, thought the first one this series was a total snore-fest. Nothing was funny, everything felt forced - reminded me of "Acorn Antiques" if anyone remembers that reference.

I'd hoped they would finally do away with nearly everything from previous TG and come back afresh (then you could understand the first few episode not finding their footing), but it seems they are determined to try and resurrect it, which is ultimately doomed to failure.
Old 20-03-2017, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member

Well some things don't change, sounds like Hammond has come off a motorbike while filming.
Old 20-03-2017, 06:59 PM
Gold Member

I think this series of shaping up well and lots of last night's episode was really engaging.

Hopefully it'll cause the Grand Tour guys to up their game a bit. Then we can have two good shows!
Old 20-03-2017, 07:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
New series isn't looking too bad so far.

Anyone recognise some of the roads and a particular hairpin in the Golf Club sport bit last night?
I did notice that hairpin
Old 20-03-2017, 07:41 PM

I'm enjoying it.
I quite liked the Aston/AMG section purely due to the cinematography, location and great use of a left turn at the hammer head - I want one of those.

In last weeks episode it was great to see the Alfa (I want one of those too) and M3 battle it out on a decent sized track, rather than the fat American's go-kart track.

The views that "they need to change it and stop copying old top gear" are getting almost as tiresome as the previous views of 'it doesn't review enough cars'.

How exactly would they change it and not end up like 5th Gear
If they review too many cars it will also end up like 5th Gear or even worse 1980's Top Gear, with William Woollard.

Some of us grew up with this, and at the time it was great. But see if you can watch the full 29:14s now (don't just skip to the Cossie section )

How many episodes of 5th Gear have I watched in recent years....probably less than 1/2 dozen. Do they make me laugh....No.....is Tiff driving sideways a little tiresome now.....Yes.
Youtube is for car reviews, Top gear if for a Sunday lift before the doldrums of Monday morning.
Old 21-03-2017, 09:15 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banstead Stig View Post
Hopefully it'll cause the Grand Tour guys to up their game a bit. Then we can have two good shows!
I am hoping for big improvements with the second season: if they drop a lot of the studio crap it would be a massive step in the right direction.