South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 01-07-2014, 12:03 PM
Silver Member

Default Hose swap - what coolant?

I'd like to set about putting my new hoses on today but am a bit worried about the coolant change side of things. I have no idea what coolant is in it but it looks reddish. Obviously the best thing is just to do get rid of it all and start again but will I end up with little deposits of the old stuff even with all the hoses off? I don't really want a grungy cooling system. I've got a couple of bottles of the halfords red coolant. Is this good enough or do I need to use a particular brand?
Old 01-07-2014, 12:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruff View Post
I'd like to set about putting my new hoses on today but am a bit worried about the coolant change side of things. I have no idea what coolant is in it but it looks reddish. Obviously the best thing is just to do get rid of it all and start again but will I end up with little deposits of the old stuff even with all the hoses off? I don't really want a grungy cooling system. I've got a couple of bottles of the halfords red coolant. Is this good enough or do I need to use a particular brand?

i have used the halfords 50% stuff....how bad could it be?
Old 01-07-2014, 01:07 PM
Silver Member

Ok, I'll use the halfords stuff. Do I need to flush the system at all or should it be ok?
Old 01-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Rest in peace Jodie.

If you're concerned about the deposits, wouldn't the best approach be fill it up, drive it, then flush it?
Old 01-07-2014, 02:00 PM

Could look up and use the waterless coolant...Meant to be good stuff but very expensive. Although it doesn't need changing ever...

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 01-07-2014, 02:24 PM
Silver Member

Riiidaa, I don't know. Should I be concerned or should it all just drain out when I take the bottom hose off the rad?

Rdlangly, waterless? I'll check that out. I'm quite happy with water though
Old 01-07-2014, 02:35 PM
Bronze Member

This is the stuff I use.
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/eng...-coolant-rm-5l