South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 10-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Bronze Member

Default whirring turbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi guys , my 97 wrx sti import has a whirring/whining turbo on tickover .. admittidly the car has an apexi ecu, forged pistons lightened flywheel upgraded injectors and had been remapped but previous owner re initialized the pfc. im not driving the car atm due to this but am worried that turbo might need a rebuild or replacement .. should i be worried ..any ideas ????
Old 10-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member

Turbo shouldnt be making any noise on tickover, as its not making any boost pressure
Old 10-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Bronze Member

could it be the bearings?// there no smoke from the car ... and its running so rich it stalls after 5 mins .. its going to a garage nxt week.. PTS in climping near littlehampton. (performance tuning services) to get pfc to idle and the guys gonna have a look at wat mods have been done and create a map to suit whilst i drive. just worried bout turbo , but he says due to car not running/not /idleing/ running rich this could affect it
Old 10-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

as anger said, shouldnt be making any noise. just keep it off the road till PTS look at it.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

If its running the standard vf roller bearing the can make a little noise, specially when you switch the engine off and the oil is warm. You can hear them wind down a good few seconds after you switch off and get out. It all depends how loud it is. The pfc map will not effect It. the injector constants will need adjusting to get it to idle as it will be expecting 440s so will be overfuelling.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

I'm in LA and have never heard of PTS - they any good?
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 11-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Bronze Member

stumbled across them with a friend! after a lengthy chat with the guy.. he knows his stuff and is well priced £55 ph no matter wat the work entails. i think thts a good rate! based in climping google them. http://www.performancetuningservices.co.uk . i ll be the guinea pig ,and if there all they re cracked up to be i shall spread the word.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:54 AM

Cool, as for turbo noise, you should hear mine!!

Mine has just got me to the ring and back with no issues.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 06-07-2011, 11:25 PM
Bronze Member

it seems that the guys at PTS know their stuff!! i recommend them. i ve been chatting with the guys there, stripped my car , told me what has and has nt been done and mods that have been added, turns out the MAF sensor was knackered , got one brand new online for 85 quid, (orange label) maybe doing away with my apexi pfc and upgrade to simtek and do away with maf and go for map sensor ...(possibly) any advice??
Old 07-07-2011, 08:03 PM

All depends how far you plan to go - I've gone syvecs which I'll admit is a little more but it is a far more capable ECU.

I may have to pop over and see PTS sometime.